Oxygen Not Included Roadmap September 2018

On 9/6/2018 at 11:26 PM, Bigfoot said:

After the next Upgrade, we'll be changing gears and going back over the whole game to focus on polish, performance, balance and missing content. In addition to solving technical issues, we want to make sure that the beginning of the game is approachable and fair for new players, and that the situations a colony encounters have enough variety that each playthrough feels fresh.

Each of these updates will be focused on content, stability, and user experience improvements. They won't necessarily have a big unifying theme like they do now, but there will still be new smaller pieces of content to play with.

Hey Guys ... The previous road map was clear and concise and detailed about what was going to be implemented. However, our current road map is rather vague and does not give any specific details. Do you guys have anything specific you have in mind than needs changing?

Lore content update will barely take 1 update (6 weeks) to add them into the system if the overall story line is already finalized. Any tidbits will be most welcome from your side!

5 hours ago, ArunPrasath said:

anything specific you have in mind than needs changing?

I think there are quite a few systems that need attention. Mostly polishing, finishing and adding some more stuff to it.

Clothing system - bland and not useful. A lot of opportunities to improve.
Germ system - 2 germ types since impelmented. A lot of possibilities to expand.
Decor system - still only 1 option for statue and ice sculpture. Should be at least based on the job tier instead of the dupe stats like the older system.
Job system - most high tier jobs still don`t get anything useful attached to them besides stats.

Based on some stuf leaked in the preview i think they might tackle the decor next. Also they did some minor changes to critters so maybe some changes are comming there as well.

8 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

Please improve the fps its going down quickly midgame,

Please improve dupe ai.

Please improve the way water and gas moves in pipes.

Hey there :)

What are your suggestions and game problems? If you are a bit more specific, then others may be able to help you on those things.

The breakdancer, parts of my map

image.thumb.png.eb7d671f8b761ec2cfb35d94ab6afd94.pngimage.thumb.png.4ccdacb7925c21a88857c6de05500844.png

Central Tube & Sleep Hub, 60KW electrical network supply

image.thumb.png.db853e786210bb028ce18e92c92b1ad3.png

11 hours ago, babba said:

What are your suggestions and game problems? If you are a bit more specific, then others may be able to help you on those things.

I have a midrange cpu with midrange computing power. Namely i3-6100U in midgame the fps get low to a point where scrolling over the screen gets frustrating and giving dig orders is no longer accepted properly At the beginning it runs alright to lets say turn 150.

Dupes still manage to bury themselfes when building and dupes still mange to end up out of the base dupes till might end somewhere without oxygen and dupes still dont manage to cross water to get back to safety.

Having opposing gas entrys and inbetween exits does confuse the game at times to the degree it will not move the gas at all.

The whole piping concept needs a little rework: The gas should move to free spaces of the pipe not in a conduit but it should act the way gas acts in the normal environment just trying to fill everything in the pipe and if there is an exit the gas would just try to fill the exit.

Same for liquid.

On 11/7/2018 at 12:08 PM, Froty said:

now waiting for ONI Nuclear Upgrade ☢

Well i made a nuclear mod but i made it so you need endgame elements to forge radium, i am not sure how good the idea is that way maybe its too hard to get it and maybe i should document it better and i think for this kind of stuff i would need tester who actually give feedback, but essentially there is nuclear power already. However i did not do much advertising for my mods and for this i would need blogger or youtuber of some kind who can also help me documenting the features...

To my wishes i want to append: 

Please stop dupes from making microgram deliverys, or deliver 5 charges of the same element all individually to the same machine.

Please make the repair system working better / at all.

Please make starving dupes in a hungry colony eat first / get food reserved to survive / some kind of management for resources.

Fixes should have very high priority now in my opinion, but if you have still time i would like to see fire and explosions as example when you get hydrogen or natural gas in contact with fire. Also i would like to see hostile creatures and weapons to fight them. And spawning systems. I might then add some scripts to make a tower defense oni I think its especially funny when you lead the hostile mobs into a room with hydrogen and then ignite it. Or if your oil comes in contact with lava and the whole oil field begins to burn...

I also would like to see a number input panel in the configuration screen that i can use similar to the seed panel.

On 07/09/2018 at 8:54 PM, Gurgel said:

I noticed that we have a "Petroleum Engine" now. A nuclear engine as alternative would be entirely plausible.

We already have stream turbine, a nuclear engine may only produce heat. We may build Nuclear power plant this way.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:21 AM, Biokimist said:

We already have stream turbine, a nuclear engine may only produce heat. We may build Nuclear power plant this way.

I agree, i think they should add nuclear fuel refinement and fuel rod cores for boiling water. maybe add some automation to adjust the thermal output of the fuel rods so you can keep your reactors under control, and if allowed to overheat have them leak super-heated radioactive gas when they break. could potentially turn into desperate "SEAL THE AREA" situation to contain a runaway reactor from overheating the whole base.

you would also need to store unrefined nuclear fuel in an area away from your base insulated with refined metals to prevent radiation poisoning of your dupes.

considering the way the game handles phase transitions, this could also be used as a very dangerous but fast way of converting certain materials to there refined states, like refined carbon or petroleum. just run oil over a reactor core and instant petroleum, as long as you don't let it meltdown.

A good idea, in my opinion, would be to allow the dupes to have relationships, make mini dupes, mini dupes go to school, make a teacher job, and then they grow up (50-100 cycles) and enter the work force. It would make it so in the case you are playing and a mean husband comes in (does this several times) and has the dupes deconstruct the spawner, then there still would be a way to keep the workforce going.

Another idea is to make it so when the logs at the end of each cycle show up, there is messages from the dupes about suggestions for the colony's survival. This way people aren't just trying to get to space and losing their colonies because they are not truely realizing the dupes needs.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:08 PM, Cutiekay55 said:

A good idea, in my opinion, would be to allow the dupes to have relationships, make mini dupes, mini dupes go to school, make a teacher job, and then they grow up (50-100 cycles) and enter the work force. It would make it so in the case you are playing and a mean husband comes in (does this several times) and has the dupes deconstruct the spawner, then there still would be a way to keep the workforce going.

Another idea is to make it so when the logs at the end of each cycle show up, there is messages from the dupes about suggestions for the colony's survival. This way people aren't just trying to get to space and losing their colonies because they are not truely realizing the dupes needs.

This is one of the fun things from Fallout Shelter we don't have. A good eugenics program!

What about darkness? 
As I can see there is only light presented in the game (from Printing pod, lamp, Sun and few bugs), still no Darkness that can add a LOT of different needs for dups and the player. New level of power management and base design, dups would need personal lights etc. 
You would finely get use of lamps, glass, doors all of this switches and so on. Plus potential for a lot of visual effects, not only day/night shifts. I don't even asking for change of seasons.

What about predators / parasites and so on? 
As I can see there is only domestic bugs and fish. Still there is the place for some cute animals, not only huge insects and flying stomach. I don't even asking for dangerous creatures for the Duplicants, the only living form that kills in the game.

Giving player the personal Pets would also nice. Some pics from "Don't starve".

Spoiler

584_20170110105850657.jpg

b7e4221190ef76c6785c43299416fdfaae5167e4

On 10/18/2018 at 8:39 PM, Ashpoker said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make it easier. please just don't

Most games have "Hardcore mode", surviving mode etc. So making game easier support bigger sells, while adding challenges pleases loyal fan base. If game became real popular there would be a lot of great mods for everyone, potential is so high: relations, other dups/aliens invasions, spaceships crushes, extreme weather conditions/season changes and so on. Game already heave weapon and climate systems, space exploration and animals, but leaves a lot of opportunities for future updates/DLC I think. 

hardcore small.jpg

On 11/26/2018 at 7:54 AM, lilibat said:

This is one of the fun things from Fallout Shelter we don't have. A good eugenics program!

For making party, trade stuff and date-sim there's a lot of games. It's not so urgently necessary.

Plus most of my duplicants suddenly find themselves as third sex (lol). It'll be a problem to make them couple in this version I think ^_^
This game about exploration, for extending population they got Printer pods (that should be use some material from the colony, but who cares?).

16 hours ago, Outrate said:

Most games have "Hardcore mode", surviving mode etc.

That's good but in this case "Survival" is already way too easy. Disease is doing nothing (it was fine on the first iteration of outbreak update. fast and deadly) and there is only one disease (tbh. food poisoning is non existent). Parasites/predators are very good idea, i like it. I would like to see risk of FIRE, explosions due to pressure, heat or chemicals. Currently Hypothermia is almost non existent too and it should be deadly. And also we can't forget FALL DMG. It would also be nice to have an experimental treatment device to remove negative perks (just like in Darkest Dungeon).

Also i would like to point out that we need that cool shield generator from the animated short ;) whatever it takes but we need it !

PS: actual airlock building to stop cheesing the game with water locks.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:29 PM, Ashpoker said:

but in this case "Survival" is already way too easy.

They may make their game as easy as they want, while where were the options to make it hardcore. At this stage it's a good idea to make the game easy and fast, so a lot of people could find all the game bugs.

I believe some people would make really interesting mods to this game in the future, but they need maximum wide game engine features by default. Making new type of germs (from animals, cold, meteorite etc, plus a lot of new medicine) is not a big problem then you already have all logic system presented in the game.

Same thing about aggressive animals, but for the balance it need a lot of time. Otherwise they would eat all the inhabitants and die from hunger before you meet em.

Btw parasites, that can infected tiles, water, animals (making em sick) also could be a type of plants, spreading new germs in the area. In my country where are some horrible pests, so dangerous to agriculture and the people that government had to spend millions to deal with it every year. If your facility let it spread through your land - you can be seriously fined. We think we are so advanced, but still can't fight so primitive things in 21 century. Like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_(plant) It's also very dangerous to the sensitive people, leaving the skin burns to the people and animals:

Spoiler

hogweed1.thumb.png.4ca55cb4e4b745eeec701d60f6607b67.png

Every this challenge are really specific and needed a lot of time, but can be balanced due the already existing systems. So I hope they would invest in it some day, or at least prepared the opportunity for the modding.

Sorry for my poor English.

I really wanna play again but every time I see ONI icon it reminds me of the FPS later on the game. FPS drop is inevitable for me and that's prevent me from playing again, the idea that at some point all those builds and hardships of survival are pointless when your game starts lagging

16 hours ago, Lutzkhie said:

I really wanna play again but every time I see ONI icon it reminds me of the FPS later on the game. FPS drop is inevitable for me and that's prevent me from playing again, the idea that at some point all those builds and hardships of survival are pointless when your game starts lagging

Last upgrade added multithreading to the pathing calculations. It helped the framerate a lot. My 600 cycle base went from 15 to 30 fps. You should give it a try if you didn`t play the newest upgrade.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:06 PM, Sasza22 said:

Last upgrade added multithreading to the pathing calculations. It helped the framerate a lot. My 600 cycle base went from 15 to 30 fps. You should give it a try if you didn`t play the newest upgrade.

yeah maybe I should, I really miss this game 

Archived