Why is this Electrolyzer setup isn't working?

This is copy of the Electrolyzer setup I came up with:

Spoiler

Fvds84e.png

It seemed like optimal and easily scale able solution, one though it doesn't work well. Electrolyzer suppose to produce 112g/s of Hydrogen which should have been enough to run my Hydrogen generator, AETN device and slowly build me a nice stock, but in practice I wasn't able to even sustain the power to my setup..

What are the nuances that I am missing here?

its a space issue mostly your pumps are taking partial packets and you have 2 filters. for a small alteration change the interior blocks next the the electolizers to mesh/gas permeable tiles will give more room for the gases created to not accidentally delete each other. and try using the gas line element sensor and valve shutoff

I am not sure what the mechanic behind this i.e. why gases would delete each other. I just followed the tooltip, which says that electrolizer creates 1000g/s of gas total, and each pump can handle 500g/s. But if space is the key, I can add space.. will this suffice or do I need to add more? 

Spoiler

CgtanMP.png

23 minutes ago, heckubis said:

and try using the gas line element sensor and valve shutoff.

To what purpose? I am not familiar with their use. I only ever used the atmosphere sensor, like the example above, to cut off the pumps e.g. if there is not enough water coming. 

the element sensor  and shutoff will make a energy cheep filter

DD9936E4666B68696B21D2F488F17C46E5989559

kind of like this

the bridge will take the hydrogen first keeping the generators full any excess will continue on this also works with a valve but bridges can be built behind things.

the element sensors are set to hydrogen and the generators  are linked to the smart batteries with automation so they dont cook off energy when they dont need to

already self powering64AF78A85D935128CEE3F7F9FD81315AF7205286

including powering the water pump

Try it out. Measure 100kg of water and run it through then filter the gasses to two tanks and you will see what's what.

If you're interested here's the design I use mostly. It's a goldy. 

Spoiler

5b8ec3e7b4d71_3227.thumb.png.cd2e1210eddb1e244aca3d31d1ced0db.png

Sorry for the rough sketch. I'm on my mobile phone. 

Yellow circles are pumps. Green squares are electrolyzer. Blue line is airflow tiles.

I usually leave 1 tile space between bottom pump and electrolyzer 

This way h2 and o2 separate an their own but you'll have to leave it a bit till it separates. Next to the top pump comes 2x atmo sensors set to 1000g with an or gate connected to the pump.

Each bottom pump has a atmo sensor as well at around 1100g

Inside the big yellow sqare in the middle comes hydrogen and wheezworts or cold liquid to cool the oxygen running snakelike through in radiant pipes. 

this is a setup i favor:

image.png.db73d60bb07423e857c668deb4c3c539.png

the gas filter is not even necessary after the initial first few minutes.

the top left pump is started by the pressure sensor, set at 500. it only pumps hydrogen, after a few minutes. (gasses need to settle)

the bottom 3 gives out 1.5kg/s out of the 1.67 kg/s that the electrolyzers can give. but that is just fine imo.

10 hours ago, Xadhoom said:

this is a setup i favor:

the top left pump is started by the pressure sensor, set at 500. it only pumps hydrogen, after a few minutes. (gasses need to settle)

the bottom 3 gives out 1.5kg/s out of the 1.67 kg/s that the electrolyzers can give. but that is just fine imo.

I like this idea, making use of the gases properties to separate them. Though you should probably add another atmo sensor at the bottom like @Yoma_Nosme. If @heckubis valve work well, I'd probably end up using that because 10w per two pumps isn't an issue. But I have incorporated this idea into my own setup:

Spoiler

pm3I79g.png

This way will make sure that there are always hydro tiles to for the pumps, no?

yes and no the pipes leading to the generators will hold more but unless your using the power from them the generator should shut off leaving times when both are.. make sure you have a storage area for the excess. with a bridge or valve taking some to the generators when they need it the excess will pass the bridge or valve to your holding area

the bigger filter will just shut down with a blockage and that can stop airflow or hydrogen flow and that can take the system down

the cheep filter only runs when the element is there so adding one to remove o2 from the hydrogen lines again may save you repairs but wont cost any energy unless they need to release some o2

check that the newest patch may have solved the overflow problem

16 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

This is copy of the Electrolyzer setup I came up with:

Hide contents

Fvds84e.png

It seemed like optimal and easily scale able solution, one though it doesn't work well. Electrolyzer suppose to produce 112g/s of Hydrogen which should have been enough to run my Hydrogen generator, AETN device and slowly build me a nice stock, but in practice I wasn't able to even sustain the power to my setup..

What are the nuances that I am missing here?

Just put an atmo sensor for each room to prevent using pump when pressure is low, i have mostly the same system (with only one pump in each room and one hydrogen generator and i overproduct hydrogen so i need to use it for other think).

You just forget the atmo sensor to have something viable

15 hours ago, Xadhoom said:

this is a setup i favor:

Not the first time i see this setup, i really need to test it

16 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Try it out. Measure 100kg of water and run it through then filter the gasses to two tanks and you will see what's what.

If you're interested here's the design I use mostly. It's a goldy. 

Hide contents

5b8ec3e7b4d71_3227.thumb.png.cd2e1210eddb1e244aca3d31d1ced0db.png

Sorry for the rough sketch. I'm on my mobile phone. 

Yellow circles are pumps. Green squares are electrolyzer. Blue line is airflow tiles.

I usually leave 1 tile space between bottom pump and electrolyzer 

This way h2 and o2 separate an their own but you'll have to leave it a bit till it separates. Next to the top pump comes 2x atmo sensors set to 1000g with an or gate connected to the pump.

Each bottom pump has a atmo sensor as well at around 1100g

Inside the big yellow sqare in the middle comes hydrogen and wheezworts or cold liquid to cool the oxygen running snakelike through in radiant pipes. 

Oh, it's my original O2 producer :D

Since it wasn't properly explained. You are losing Hydrogen because it is getting deleted. The reason essentially is two gasses cannot occupy the same tile. What happens is the electrolyzer produces a packet of oxygen then a packet of hydrogen. These packets can fill a tile with no gas or go into a tile with the gas already there, increasing the volume of gas in the tile. These packets will not push gasses around to make room. So what happens when the hydrogen packet is triggered with nowhere to go? It just doesn't spawn.

This is why the designs with a layer of hydrogen above the electrolyzer are so important. You will never lose a packet of hydrogen with them. They also have the wonderful side benefit of not requiring a filter once things settle in. Do it right and you produce more power from a hydrogen generator than the setup consumes. Here is my standard design, I haven't found one that is better.

20180718040058_1.thumb.jpg.26d42ba82cb6df3fca19b4eec237f4f1.jpg

51 minutes ago, Promethien said:

Since it wasn't properly explained. You are losing Hydrogen because it is getting deleted. The reason essentially is two gasses cannot occupy the same tile. What happens is the electrolyzer produces a packet of oxygen then a packet of hydrogen. These packets can fill a tile with no gas or go into a tile with the gas already there, increasing the volume of gas in the tile. These packets will not push gasses around to make room. So what happens when the hydrogen packet is triggered with nowhere to go? It just doesn't spawn.

This is why the designs with a layer of hydrogen above the electrolyzer are so important. You will never lose a packet of hydrogen with them. They also have the wonderful side benefit of not requiring a filter once things settle in. Do it right and you produce more power from a hydrogen generator than the setup consumes. Here is my standard design, I haven't found one that is better.

20180718040058_1.thumb.jpg.26d42ba82cb6df3fca19b4eec237f4f1.jpg

@Promethien So this set up below (more compact) is not so good as for hydrogen production? Or it's the same in your exxperience ?

image.png.3a6c266d7ec41d4248191cfc7f779a09.png

that depends on the setup the electolyzers do produce a max of 70c but i can show you that sending cool water produces cool air just takes some space. the build type i use is like a larger version of the others but its larger to give me room to cool the o2 and hydrogen before it hits the pumps.

65D37667D8F0A03B1D06684046AD4F0F77C1ACE2

still requires no filter for hydrogen self powering is available. stable cooling.

its not that it produces from the electrolizer it is cool enough to instantly cool the produced gas and any excess heat is eaten by the electrolizers

using 90c water will work but your getting the 70c air plus heat from the 90c water unless your using insulated

My understanding of the mechanic is rather sketchy.  Based on the info I read (might be outdated,) it was my understanding that water temp doesn't effect the output gases temp, only the electrolizer (but not to great effect,) which in turn will cool/heat the gases around him (Which is why my setup which was set around an AETN always had the electrolizer on the side with metal tile contact)

Further more it has been noted that this is the case for other devices, like the hydrogen generator and incoming hydrogen. This why I switched from cooling all the input water to just temp management and only cooling the output oxygen to the temp that I need.

yah i just use my coolant water (cooling it with a slush vent so my extra energy costs are none for cooling). that hole thing i have uses 2k water per second despite being 4 electrolizers its only set up to support 2  02 lines that keep my base pressure stable and it shuts off often when i dont need air. so overall its effective but very large

but yah the water temp being cold is effective in this system because of the granite normal and gold radiant pipes. you dont need to cool on site like i do. exo suits dont need cool or germ free air for example just o2 so you can save cooling energy on them but i over all dont want to set up a secondary cooling system just for air.

12 hours ago, heckubis said:

so long as flow is not blocked or power interrupted its the trade off of a smaller system

I have improved the design, by adding another gas shutoff on the main line, to work as fail safe in case power cuts off. Now it should work just like the gas filter, but at 1/6 the power (20w vs 120w), and comes with a pretty switch incase of an emergency! 

Spoiler

Wq0cGOX.png

5 minutes ago, Cipupec2 said:

I have improved the design, by adding another gas shutoff on the main line, to work as fail safe in case power cuts off. Now it should work just like the gas filter, but at 1/6 the power (20w vs 120w), and comes with a pretty switch incase of an emergency! 

Hide contents

Wq0cGOX.png

should use a hydro or atmo switch instead of the normal switch so you can turn it off without having to wait for a dupe.

Archived