Why is this Electrolyzer setup isn't working?

13 minutes ago, Cipupec2 said:

I have improved the design, by adding another gas shutoff on the main line, to work as fail safe in case power cuts off. Now it should work just like the gas filter, but at 1/6 the power (20w vs 120w), and comes with a pretty switch incase of an emergency! 

Shut off valves do not consume power at all (or actually they do but only for the 0.1s it takes to change state).

20 minutes ago, heckubis said:

should use a hydro or atmo switch instead of the normal switch so you can turn it off without having to wait for a dupe.

True, but that feels like cheating.. I could have also reduce one tile and other optimizations (my first design was like @SamLogan's loop and I heard of pure mechanical ones) but I wanted to create a simple pretty design with red button, after all it's not often that we have an emergency to deal with and when that happen I want it to be fun!  God, I wish they add a  Hazard tile so I can put them at the entrance to my reactor

8 hours ago, Promethien said:

Since it wasn't properly explained. You are losing Hydrogen because it is getting deleted. The reason essentially is two gasses cannot occupy the same tile. What happens is the electrolyzer produces a packet of oxygen then a packet of hydrogen. These packets can fill a tile with no gas or go into a tile with the gas already there, increasing the volume of gas in the tile. These packets will not push gasses around to make room. So what happens when the hydrogen packet is triggered with nowhere to go? It just doesn't spawn.

If this were true, then no hydrogen would ever be produced since there was't already some there.

6 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Shut off valves do not consume power at all (or actually they do but only for the 0.1s it takes to change state).

Ohh, I thought that they consumed power whenever they were open.

6 minutes ago, psusi said:

Ohh, I thought that they consumed power whenever they were open.

Nah. They're like powered doors. They only consume power when actively changing state, and since that only takes 0.1s for a shut off valve you can pretty much ignore it.

14 hours ago, Argelle said:

@Promethien So this set up below (more compact) is not so good as for hydrogen production? Or it's the same in your exxperience ?

image.png.3a6c266d7ec41d4248191cfc7f779a09.png

That bit of space in mine encourages the oxygen to move around and relieve pressure around the electrolyzer so it keeps running. Its not necessary but I find it worth it to get better uptime. The experiments I did with more compact versions weren't able to produce enough hydrogen to keep a generator running non-stop. The one I linked does.

Did you let it run for a while? 

On 9/4/2018 at 8:59 PM, heckubis said:

i go for the over board

65D37667D8F0A03B1D06684046AD4F0F77C1ACE2

but i dont mind cooling water or wasting space. dont like having to cool my air when i already cool water for coolant

Does this setup works well for you? If so what pressures you are using, because I just build a similar setup and I think I understand why you build only two pumps, because the electrolizers over pressurized much of the time. I have built two extra emergency pump below and it doesn't matter, the air doesn't seem to be able to defuse downwards fast enough. 

On 9/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, Bagdar said:

5b8fda987d993_Sinttulo.thumb.jpg.7b9df523849de1d2a34dbde383bc99e2.jpg

1. Is this shape to help with air diffusion? 
2. Does your electrolizers over pressurize? and what is your atmo settings?
3. When I tried something similar with my pumps just bellow the electrolizers, I noticed that sometime they picked small packets of hydrogen, was that an issue for you?

2 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

Did you let it run for a while? 

Does this setup works well for you? If so what pressures you are using, because I just build a similar setup and I think I understand why you build only two pumps, because the electrolizers over pressurized much of the time. I have built two extra emergency pump below and it doesn't matter, the air doesn't seem to be able to defuse downwards fast enough. 

1. Is this shape to help with air diffusion? 
2. Does your electrolizers over pressurize? and what is your atmo settings?
3. When I tried something similar with my pumps just bellow the electrolizers, I noticed that sometime they picked small packets of hydrogen, was that an issue for you?

typically i set the ones near the hydrogen for over 1300g and the ones on o2 at over 1000g. they tend to flutter on and off but on both sides its allways full packets. this way it keeps pressure across the entire structure. yah the diffusion is rather slow this is why i have them set to less then the electrolizers and yes they still go to sleep at pressure regularaly.

that setup is capable of self powering but because of the diffusion rates especially for its size its not so good for pumping out huge amounts of excess hydrogen(still produces at normal rates though)

1)  although the shape helps collect the hydrogen its not preventing o2 from getting to the pump by shape alone like some of the spoms use including mine.

2) yes it over pressurizes that volume of production and the way i distribute the clean cool air has my 12 dupe base at 2k almost everywhere. this leaves them dormant about 1/3 of the time and this to me is good i dont need the extra air nor the extra heat from over running the system. this also helps with the cooling of the o2 as it has more time for the temp to aclimate to the cold water in the pipes (and why most of the pipes are not radiant)

3) yah thats one of the reasons i build larger spoms to prevent the wrong gas from being pumped saving on filter power.

on a side not you could cut mine in half vertically and build almost exactly the same setup under it and get the similar results the real reason why that one has an extra set of mes tiles was at one point i had its power setup on those tiles but as 2 k wires feeding 2 small transformers was counting as a strain on the wires so i removed them

Archived