Jump to content

Can't get to produce Liquid oxygen


Recommended Posts

Hi everybody.

I completely understand this question has already been debated many times... i just can't get the answer to my specific problem, mostly because much explanations were simply too advanced for me.

So : 

i started a loop of abyssalite insulated pipes, connected to a thermo regulator. When the gas reaches the critical temperature of -183, my pipes break (just at the exit of the thermo regulator), i can see no oxygen and most of the gas vanishes...

My guess would be, that the gas pipes cannot contain liquid gases, and that's why my pipes break and the oxygen just vanishes into the air... am i right ? What to do ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are right that forming liquid oxygen causes the pipes to break. The trick to condensing any gas is to cool the gas with the thermo regulator but not directly. It is best to make a loop of hydrogen that then passes on the cold to the oxygen you want to liquify.

Just build an insulated box that you feed the oxygen into and run a loop of radiant pipes filled with hydrogen in them through it. The end result can look something like this:

image.png.5a5a83123a9e4bdd77ef5358904c9677.png

This is a slightly more advanced design with two simultaneous loops and a heat exchanger on top that cools the incoming polluted oxygen with the cold pure oxygen coming out. There are airflow tiles in there that keep getting liquid oxygen poured on them to give more surface for the liquid oxygen to come into contact with the polluted oxygen. There is automation in place to control feeding and keeping the vessel at a safe temperature (solid oxygen is no good). But you can make it as complicated or simple as you like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Tryphon said:

My guess would be, that the gas pipes cannot contain liquid gases, and that's why my pipes break and the oxygen just vanishes into the air... am i right ? What to do ?

To explain this specific element. Pipes cannot handle state change, whether freezing or boiling. They will break if a state transition happens within them. When you successfully liquified the oxygen, it burst the pipe, leaked out, and vaporized as it came into contact with the warm atmosphere.

For all the regular gases, hydrogen has the highest conductivity, largest heat capacity and lowest temperature before liquifying (I think just above absolute zero). So it is usually the gas of choice when using a gas to transfer temperature with less fear of state change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, zergologist said:

how did  the cosmic upgrade render liquid oxygen generators almost useless?

Because since the Cosmic update, there is practically infinite filtration medium falling from the sky. And with that and auto sweepers, it's much easier to clean polluted oxygen with mass deodorizers than to liquefy it, The clay could even be fed to hatches if you get more than you need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/08/2018 at 11:21 PM, nvzboy said:

You are right that forming liquid oxygen causes the pipes to break. The trick to condensing any gas is to cool the gas with the thermo regulator but not directly. It is best to make a loop of hydrogen that then passes on the cold to the oxygen you want to liquify.

Just build an insulated box that you feed the oxygen into and run a loop of radiant pipes filled with hydrogen in them through it. The end result can look something like this:

image.png.5a5a83123a9e4bdd77ef5358904c9677.png

This is a slightly more advanced design with two simultaneous loops and a heat exchanger on top that cools the incoming polluted oxygen with the cold pure oxygen coming out. There are airflow tiles in there that keep getting liquid oxygen poured on them to give more surface for the liquid oxygen to come into contact with the polluted oxygen. There is automation in place to control feeding and keeping the vessel at a safe temperature (solid oxygen is no good). But you can make it as complicated or simple as you like.

Ok !

This is just the simple and clear explanation i was looking for. Thermal upgrade turned simple LOX designs obsolete... i was turning crazy ! Thanks !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

LOX obsolete?!? I’ll take my extra 10% oxygen production, thank you very much :p

That polluted water is a rare commodity!

 

 

Actually, i was refering to lox DESIGNS beeing obsolete now. Not Lox itself !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11.8.2018 at 11:21 PM, nvzboy said:

image.png.5a5a83123a9e4bdd77ef5358904c9677.png

U have only one thermal regulator on each side ?How many cycles u need  to cool a room of 2KG packets ? I did the same with 4 thermal regulators and 20KG packets in the room. At the beginning to cool down the room, I used 8 of them! I just need 4 to keep the temperature down and liquefy the oxygen. Doesn't it took ages to liquefy with one of them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a 1 kg/s oxygen liquefier I brewed up after reading this thread:

lox-1kg.thumb.jpg.d33cc3db26685a503055cf78d0f6b2d5.jpg

It uses only one thermo regulator (less than 100% uptime) and doesn't need a wheezewort once it's going since it will cool itself with its own output. May take a dozen cycles to cool down to temperature though, longer if you don't use insulated abyssalite but normal abyssalite for the non-conductive pipes. This works because I limit the flow of liquid oxygen to 1 kg/s, preventing pipe breakage and allowing me to transfer most of the heat from the incoming polluted oxygen into the outgoing liquid oxygen before venting it.

It uses gold radiant liquid pipes, wolframite radiant gas pipes, diamond window tiles in the heat exchanger and two diamond tempshift plates behind the pump.

Vacuum and glass walls for clarity and so I don't have to make multiple screenies, it's really quite simple to build.

Incoming polluted oxygen is 36.8 C and outgoing liquid oxygen is 12.5 C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sevio said:

Here's a 1 kg/s oxygen liquefier I brewed up after reading this thread:

lox-1kg.thumb.jpg.d33cc3db26685a503055cf78d0f6b2d5.jpg

This works because I limit the flow of liquid oxygen to 1 kg/s, preventing pipe breakage and allowing me to transfer most of the heat from the incoming polluted oxygen into the outgoing liquid oxygen before venting it.

I hate that this <1kg packets is becoming a thing. Same system could Be built without this exploit, Even If it would Be bulkier and here The reward for skipping stage change is minimal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...