*Real quick note, I wanted to add more tags but ran out of room. So you know, there's all the rooms that I'll be talking about. Anyway, here this*

Hello, I did some quick maths (ha ha funy) with the rooms and I found somethings. And I want to show what I came up with. I will list the rooms with measurements in order to also put some info about the rooms that are possible for duplicants to use.

Latrine -

4 x 16: Can hold 4 Sinks and Lavatories, possible for an air vent to be placed in the top area, since sinks and lavatories take up 3 x 2 area (height x width); this is the worst choice in room making as it wastes the potential area given. I've personally grown found of 3 tile high rooms, so those may be more useful.

3 x 21: Can hold 5 Sinks and Lavatories, an air vent can be placed somewhere in the room due to the remaining 4 x 1 area; one of the most useful ways of using the area within the boundaries

Double 3 x 21: Can hold 10 Sinks and Lavatories, however there will be an odd sink/lavatory depending on the level; this is one of the best ways to make a latrine, especially with larger colonies. And this is within the requirements. A Latrine needs 1 lavatory and sink. So, it works within crazy reason. Top kek! :D 5b4be292acd75_BathroomONI.thumb.jpg.4cdf6ef9393f44ede736018963033aa8.jpg
Barracks -

4 x 16: Can hold 8 Cots or 4 Comfy Beds and 8 paintings; this is another wasteful space, but is still a room that can work

3 x 21: Can hold 8-10 Cots or 4-5 Comfy Beds and 1-5 Statues; Can be more useful, especially with the extra 1 area for an air vent to push CO2 out.

2 x 32: Can hold 16 Cots or 8 Comfy Beds, and is best if no decor items are placed withing; possibly the best for storing the most dups, even with the room only having no decor. However, with wallpapers and fancy suits, that can be remedied

5b4be4265dbc1_ONIBedroom.thumb.jpg.aea5cf5279fec3089944d3834874237c.jpg

Greenhouse -

4 x 24: Can have 22 plants growing at anyone time; this is probably the best for large plants, like pincha pepper nuts or thimble reeds.

5b4be53d91186_Farm3ONI.thumb.jpg.effdd5c9881acb66a0e847fecf58a2b2.jpg

3 x 32: Can have 30 plant growing at anyone time; possibly best for big Bristle Berry Farm, although there's a big version that I've found.5b4be53d19936_Farm2ONI.thumb.jpg.9d6a7e65e01e76ac5d0d4fa1c1181ef6.jpg

(2 x 39) + 14 (the pic has a few issues, as I have 4 more spaces that could have been used but couldn't find a way): Has the potential for 39 plants growing, with a few areas for ceiling lights for bristle berries5b4be53e9ee2f_Farm1ONI.thumb.jpg.790515824fe5d6da78e608896682c4e0.jpg

(2 45) + (3 x 2): has the potential for 45 plants, primarily Bristle Berries, going. Possibly the best now cause glass exists. But this room in this state will probably come around late-game cause it requires quite a bit of space and resources. But the problem that will come around, we will need to have buildings that require Raw Metal will also need to be able to use Refined Metal... Just saying

5b4be53df22a9_Farm4ONI.thumb.jpg.a01095ae2173d16b81a314d7d8a14431.jpg

Medbay -

4 x 24: Can allow for 3 Med-Beds, 3 Mess-tables, 3 Sinks, & 3 Lavatories; Probably not the best layout, as the one bellow can take one more of each building, but can work if you want

3 x 32: Can allow for 4 Med-beds, 4 Mess-tables, 4 Sinks, and & 4 Lavatories; A better use of space, in my opinion as the room can hold one more med-bed, mess-table, sink, and lavatory. 4 Dups can heal rather than 35b4be782a4ef9_MedbayONI.thumb.jpg.c956db00e6f999bc228bbecfc4e51620.jpg

Recreation -

4 x 16: Can take 1+ Decor Item, 1+ Water Cooler/Massage table; The recreation room can have the Printing Pod or not, based on how the Printing pod starts out popping dups out in the late day, but can be or not based on preference

3 x 21: Similar to 4 x 16, except can't fit the printing pod

2 x 32: Similar to 3 x 21, except can't fit arcade game (can't remember name of it)

Power Station -

4 x 24: Can hold 1+ Power Control Station: Since the station is large, it has to be in a 4 tile high area, but the area in which it's not it can be made smaller, but looks wrong layering wise (personal preference)

Mess-hall -

4 x 16: Can hold 16 Mess-tables and 8 paintings; is a little wasteful in space as the mess-table and painting combined equal 3 tile area. Also, you can put a fridge in, replacing one of the mess-tables

3 x 21: Can hold 21 Mess-tables and 10 paintings; More useful space usage as it can hold more dups with a decor bonus. More useful with big colonies. Also, you can put a fridge in, replacing one of the mess-tables

2 x 32: Can hold 32 mess-tables, no decor items; This is the largest that's possible and can hold 32 dups. Best for large colonies, like Grind This Game or Volx's letsplay (hey, random shoutout from a smaller guy). Also, you can put a fridge in, replacing one of the mess-table

Ranch -

4 x 24: Can Hold 1+ Critter Feeder, Critter Drop Off, Shearing Station, Grooming Station, and Incubator. A large and somewhat waste of space due to the stations being 3 tile high, and it's unnecessary to be completely honest. But, you can do what you like

3 x 32: Can Hold 1+ Critter Feeder, Critter Drop Off, Shearing Station, Grooming Station, and Incubator. A nice medium sized area for working in, and can allow for multiple buildings, like Grooming Stations, Critter Feeders and Incubators

(2 x 39) + (3 x 6): The most compact and largest ranch possibility, with only 1 Critter Drop Off, Grooming Station, and Shearing Station. This may seem like a hard work out for a dup, but I forgot the Incubator, but could still work as the incubator/s could be placed in an adjacent room

5b4be8f3ce415_RecreationPowerPlantMesshallRanchONI.thumb.jpg.90945dba6a0d0182e77e32428339d640.jpg

*Sorry for the image and it's quality, but couldn't get it separated due to me making this is MS Paint (yeah, it's still installed on older computers :| ) *

That's it, due to the limited room selection in the game currently (making this on 7/15/2018 future updates will change that) but that's what I've done. I've done this for the sake of... Why not. I'm just sharing my opinions on this and it's quite an interesting thing to figure out. I like the Double 3 x 21 bathroom Design, as it is extremely useful, and to make it less likely that they'd contaminate the base, make the door one way. They can enter the room to p***, but have to leave through the bottom door. Anyway, I hope this helps with future gameplay and make more compact bases. Anyway, thanks for reading and bai~

5 minutes ago, EpicAlex said:

(2 45) + (3 x 2): has the potential for 45 plants, primarily Bristle Berries, going. Possibly the best now cause glass exists. But this room in this state will probably come around late-game cause it requires quite a bit of space and resources. But the problem that will come around, we will need to have buildings that require Raw Metal will also need to be able to use Refined Metal... Just saying

I have experimented with this before and the problem is dupe travel time, at best your farmer will apply micronutrients to only 10 plants by the time the cycle is up

In my experience the 3 x 32 (farm station in the middle with 15 plants on each side) has best results and is good for any farming

Works with mealwood, bristles, mushrooms, sleet wheat, or pincha peppers

2.thumb.png.af53516b4f357da9d0a199daf8e200f3.png

Regarding farming, you might consider using a lamp instead of lights. That decreases the height requirement, so your farm is still 3 tiles high.

It's also a bit easier on wires - you can run wires vertically in 2 columns :D

image.thumb.png.af49d4d7c885693bb2f415a371bf80ae.png

Zarquan I primarily did that cause I don't want the spread of germs, but what you said about the 9 lavatory, 1 sink and 8 sink may work better. I need to test that, but thanks for the feed back.

Neotuck That setup you got may be way better than what i came up with, and you even used the doors to your advantage and I never thought about that. Plus Fertilizer Station in the center makes a little more sense :D

martosss I didn't think about lamps cause they generate heat quite close to Bristle Berries, but then again, I'll have to fiddle with the concept of... lamps.

1 minute ago, EpicAlex said:

martosss I didn't think about lamps cause they generate heat quite close to Bristle Berries, but then again, I'll have to fiddle with the concept of... lamps.

Lamp - 8W heat, 8 tiles range

Light - 10W, 4 tiles range(in your setup, it could have more with different placement, but still you need more space in general)

You tell me which is better ;) And if you're worried about heat even with lamps(which generate 1W/plant instead of 2.5W) - slap a tempshift plate(lol) or a vent above the lamp with cool oxygen, or just water the plants with cold water and have the pipes suck the heat.

19 minutes ago, EpicAlex said:

I didn't think about lamps cause they generate heat quite close to Bristle Berries

heat is transferred by the water faster then the lamps can generate.  As long as the water is cold the lamps will never heat up the bristles

22 minutes ago, EpicAlex said:

Neotuck That setup you got may be way better than what i came up with, and you even used the doors to your advantage and I never thought about that. Plus Fertilizer Station in the center makes a little more sense :D

here's some more pics, designing greenhouses is one of my hobbies in ONI

NOTE: some of these pics are from older updates and may no longer work

20180217003652_1.thumb.jpg.d9578187b2430d2c27527db4214c696f.jpg20180218151520_1.thumb.jpg.19ef71620895f398e84b521bd15192ab.jpg20180305104242_1.thumb.jpg.80c4e3e497d4384949d57fe69db39f27.jpg20180305113126_1.thumb.jpg.c0db82352d6c4f04225a68bd7ee3099c.jpg1.thumb.png.0a67d93d4e9b67a367d492cc0ec73e7e.png11.thumb.png.dc6d7f5ba83414c66c4279fc5a45272f.png5b4c0f55e5d45_DustCapFarm2.thumb.png.eee0b4779e2b8ee6926e1488feb6c878.png5b4c0f6ac1847_StuffedBerries.thumb.png.01fb1c0c3d183696d87213af7abb1fae.png5b4c0f774034b_glossdrecko4.thumb.png.3b664481292e86a433fbfff3020f2574.png

@Neotuck

Those are some neat designs and I like the mushroom farm one for sure.  I might use some variation of those farms at some point.  Although.. I'm not surprised that auto-sweepers can currently reach through window tiles, but I'd imagine that'll be something they'll eventually fix.  :D

in cosmic update, to share snazzy suits, all who have suits sleep in the middle. Artwork also spreads through the airtiles. And oxygen is also included.

Ive raided my cold biome, and the hydrogen fallout is on the top floor.. Polluted water radiator moves that heat, but not enough radiant pipes so the wheezes are still cooling.

Should be art, that 7th middle bed on the top floor. Just a recent addition, unfinished.

image.thumb.png.76fd50be894b7521f33e5307f3fce299.png

Greenhouse with Co2 filling. Farmstation outside greenhouse, because working in co2 is not fun.

image.thumb.png.9342f1422bce158407edfad303797b06.png

8 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Works with mealwood

it can't work with mealwood because you can't apply farmers touch to it

8 hours ago, EpicAlex said:

Latrine

you don't need to build all sinks in the same room. I like rooms with just one sink and other are just behind the door

1 minute ago, BlueLance said:

I need to design some farms to fit into my builds as well. But before that I need to find out if i can realistically make fertilizer or if I should go for plants without farmers touch

Can you try something with your next game? Don't destroy any natural grown food, use them. Build small co² pockets around any shroom. When more then 5 high tier plants at one location build greenhouse/farming station around them.
Don't taw ice biomes, when food is growing there..
When i run bases with 10 dupes max, that is my food source..

I usually leave all the food I can as well, But Ideally I do want to have my own farms as well, Currently I survive off of wild plants + meat but since this patch I wont lie, I am actually struggling to get all of my ranches on the go as quickly as usual (Mainly because my dupes stand still for ages)

8 hours ago, Carnis said:

in cosmic update, to share snazzy suits, all who have suits sleep in the middle. Artwork also spreads through the airtiles. And oxygen is also included.

Ive raided my cold biome, and the hydrogen fallout is on the top floor.. Polluted water radiator moves that heat, but not enough radiant pipes so the wheezes are still cooling.

Should be art, that 7th middle bed on the top floor. Just a recent addition, unfinished.

image.thumb.png.76fd50be894b7521f33e5307f3fce299.png

You should charge rent, although you might get a nasty fine from the authorities for overcrowding...

Archived