Hi guys, this is my first post on the forums I have been lurking for a long time though and I have been playing the game for a while and I have a good grasp of the game mechanics. I'm looking for an efficient NG boiler design please share if you have any.

Thank you :) 

The OP's design is efficient enough to run 9 gas pumps nonstop on a single volcano. The build does not have a non-debug friendly working cooling model, so you would need a slush geyser or some improvisation and that's not very practical. It does not scale easily to 10 kg/sec, due to gas / liquid mix/deletion issues that pop up.

I'm fairly sure we *can* scale it to 10kg/sec, but its a bit of work.

10 kg/sec seems like overkill, just 2 kg/sec will yield enough NG to run 25 generators with smart batteries for a full 20kW circuit

for the most part any NG boiler will need a volcano, here's a simple pic of one I made a while back during Ranching II (no debug)

20180611181819_1.thumb.jpg.4f4eb4cfcf980c2e2d2d0e9ae476eb35.jpg

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

10 kg/sec seems like overkill, just 2 kg/sec will yield enough NG to run 25 generators with smart batteries for a full 20kW circuit

for the most part any NG boiler will need a volcano, here's a simple pic of one I made a while back during Ranching II (no debug)

20180611181819_1.thumb.jpg.4f4eb4cfcf980c2e2d2d0e9ae476eb35.jpg

This is a good design, but i would make the chimney much taller, just enough so the gas can naturally cool down on its own without melting the pumps.

Having a cooker that requires 4 pumps makes no sense. It just means youre cooking too much oil, spending way too much thermal energy too quick and will end up having a problem with magma solidifying. And its not an easy problem to solve, when you have to go dig rock on a volcano.

This is a very intuitive design, however. Id just make a few changes:

start cooking just a tiny amount of oil, and increase production if things look stable.

Increase the size of the chimney. The taller, the more heat will transfer, so your pumps wont be at risk. You can build it as tall as you want, for the matter.

Build it to be serviceable. **** happens, if something breaks, having a clean way to go in is not a bad thing. In this case, if he had to go in to repair, lots of gas would flush out. build airlocks, and wall them. If you need to fix stuff, deconstruct the walls, go in, fix stuff.  

Start small, and scale up. With current geyser rates, however, there is not much need for cookers, unless you build horribly power hungry or get terribly unlucky.

you have to precool your oil in neotuck's design. It looks good, but isn't. Without cool oil, the whole design will melt.

Edit*: Nvm, he as a water sieve he is using to delete heat with polluted water, its ok.

31 minutes ago, Barisel said:

@Neotuck Thanks for sharing, could you provide more layout and explain a bit about the build?

The right side has cool PW water pumped though it and ends at a water sieve that supplies fresh water to the oil well

Oil from the well is pumped at 2kg/s to the bottom of the boiler. 

If petroleum spills over then the door closes to transfer more heat from the magma

Oil stops pumping if the NG pressure gets too high or the hydro sensor is wet too long

5b499a1fcd269_NGboiler1.thumb.png.745ea31396ced1b679589650a23d05a2.png5b499a229949d_NGboiler2.thumb.png.b7029126894300c12fea66ec28a985e0.png

27 minutes ago, DyingCrow said:

This is a good design, but i would make the chimney much taller, just enough so the gas can naturally cool down on its own without melting the pumps.

You are thinking real life, in ONI heat won't cool down "naturally".  It can only transfer it's heat and in this build it does so into cool PW.  The height isn't important in fact I probably could have cut the height in half.

Having a cooker that requires 4 pumps makes no sense. It just means youre cooking too much oil

2kg/s, that's 500g/s per pump

Build it to be serviceable.

Are you implying mine isn't?  Dupes in exosuits can reach any part of this boiler

With current geyser rates, however, there is not much need for cookers

Early to mid game perhaps but late game the geysers won't be enough

21 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

The right side has cool PW water pumped though it and ends at a water sieve that supplies fresh water to the oil well

Oil from the well is pumped at 2kg/s to the bottom of the boiler. 

If petroleum spills over then the door closes to transfer more heat from the magma

Oil stops pumping if the NG pressure gets too high or the hydro sensor is wet too long

5b499a1fcd269_NGboiler1.thumb.png.745ea31396ced1b679589650a23d05a2.png5b499a229949d_NGboiler2.thumb.png.b7029126894300c12fea66ec28a985e0.png

You are thinking real life, in ONI heat won't cool down "naturally".  It can only transfer it's heat and in this build it does so into cool PW.  The height isn't important in fact I probably could have cut the height in half.

2kg/s, that's 500g/s per pump

Are you implying mine isn't?  Dupes in exosuits can reach any part of this boiler

Early to mid game perhaps but late game the geysers won't be enough

Your design is good, but a little hard to understand for someone that never built a cooker, and more prone to fail. Have to remember that you dont build things that just work, you have to understand why they work, and the purpose might be different from yours. My suggestions were just to make it safer for a first cooker. As for the maintenance stuff, well, i really dont like water locks :/ I dont judge anyone that uses them, nature has a lot of them, but i just think theyre messy. 

Either way, a single pump will run 5 generators. You have to be really really unlucky, with the current geysers, to not be able to run 10 generators without cooking oil. Or just have to dig some more. All the runs ive done recently, natg geysers were more the adequate, for moderate+ usage, unless you go heavy on regulators and aquatuners, instead of looking for easier solutions.

7 hours ago, Barisel said:

@Neotuck My radiant pipes keep overheating the oil inside and breaking, what I'm I doing wrong? I'm using the wrong material? or is it something else?

image.thumb.png.4605b1f1e0bf3fc4e8c0c94bd89afdd5.png

image.thumb.png.9239a1b1de884a536348bdd45129c9b1.png

What I'm I doing wrong?

Neotuck was using precooled oil, a cheat :).

9 hours ago, Barisel said:

@Neotuck My radiant pipes keep overheating the oil inside and breaking, what I'm I doing wrong? I'm using the wrong material? or is it something else?

image.thumb.png.4605b1f1e0bf3fc4e8c0c94bd89afdd5.png

image.thumb.png.9239a1b1de884a536348bdd45129c9b1.png

What I'm I doing wrong?

I think it might be your extra layer of temp shift plates above the hot plate.  It is drawing extra heat from the hot plate upward. 

Wow!  I was wondering why someone would want to do something like this.  I knew you could cook coil into petrol and get twice as much vs. using a refinery, but I figured it wasn't really worth it since you give up the natural gas you get as a byproduct, and it also gave cooler petrol than the oil you started with so you could use that as a heat sink.  I just looked up the energy content of methane vs. petrol and it looks like you get something like 13x more energy from methane than petrol!  Does it cook from petrol to methane also at a 1:1 ratio?

The easiest NG boiler I know and it works pretty well. You can replace the magma by a volcano.

Respect the lenght of the metal tile as well the NG can cool down until the pump due to the crude oil tank which break the heat.

Settings :

Gaz valve : 450g/s

Automated valve : connected to the Hydro Sensor

Hydro Sensor : Active is  Below 5 Kg

Author : Grind This Game

NGcrudeoil.thumb.png.cade1942a1e5b621c2e9ad67a9a7136c.png

Won't that make the magma cool and solidify?  Also I would think you would want the tiles under the metal to be insulated, and the last two tiles of metal going down on the left to be insulated instead of metal.  You don't want to pull heat out of the hot tile filled with oil; you want to pull heat out after it has vaporized.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Won't that make the magma cool and solidify?  Also I would think you would want the tiles under the metal to be insulated, and the last two tiles of metal going down on the left to be insulated instead of metal.  You don't want to pull heat out of the hot tile filled with oil; you want to pull heat out after it has vaporized.

Yes, it will solidify your magma but you can change it with a volcano.

About the tiles, it's all abyssalite, I think he did this setup before the abyssalite fix.

If you watch some of his more recent videos(few months ago) GTG tried to recreate his flat boiler and had to heavily modify it past that initial design. 

I did have a smaller stable design based on his but I needed to cool the incoming oil to keep it working. 

8 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

If you watch some of his more recent videos(few months ago) GTG tried to recreate his flat boiler and had to heavily modify it past that initial design. 

I did have a smaller stable design based on his but I needed to cool the incoming oil to keep it working. 

That will be this link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HElVnzh-UJs

5 hours ago, Neotuck said:

The oil starts at 80C from the oil well, how is that a cheat?

Whats the catch then? why is my pipe getting toasted and yours isn't? 

The extra belt of shift plate I have between the boiling tile and the oil vent is made out of Abyssalitejust to try and slow down heat transfer.

6 hours ago, Barisel said:

Whats the catch then? why is my pipe getting toasted and yours isn't? 

The extra belt of shift plate I have between the boiling tile and the oil vent is made out of Abyssalitejust to try and slow down heat transfer.

Packets of 1000g or less?

19 hours ago, Denisetwin said:

what temp did you have to cool the incoming oil to make it work as in the photo above?

I had 2 points being cooled. A lower reservoir that fed in to the boiler since my outside pool of oil was near 100c at the time.  I had another reservoir above the vent that had a thermometer if I remember right but it was always on, always being cooled.

Archived