I thought I could make dirt by blowing up water, but it is not enough.

I ran out of dirt and thought I could make it by steaming polluted water, that I had collected for 150 cycles, knowing the day would come where I desperate need dirt. So I steamed it. Tons and Tons and Tons of it. Only to end up with enough dirt for 1 cycle of creating food. How to keep up meal lice and plants now withouth going for low quality food?

10 minutes ago, superhanz said:

I had collected for 150 cycles … meal lice and plants now withouth going for low quality food?

Meal Lice is the lowest possible quality food you can grow.  I typically only use it for my dreckos after I've moved from it.  The only other crop you would need it for is Sleet Wheat, which I recommend you collect wild growths instead of farming it, but that's just preference.

Slime is overwhelming plentiful and feeds you fried shrooms, which is good enough for most dupes.

To answer your question, as @Kabrute already mentioned, you can get dirt by sieving polluted water.  An easy way to get more polluted dirt is a carbon skimmer/sieve loop.  I believe there's a way to actually cook dirt from clay, but I forget the transition points for it.

29 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Meal Lice is the lowest possible quality food you can grow.  I typically only use it for my dreckos after I've moved from it.  The only other crop you would need it for is Sleet Wheat, which I recommend you collect wild growths instead of farming it, but that's just preference.

Slime is overwhelming plentiful and feeds you fried shrooms, which is good enough for most dupes.

To answer your question, as @Kabrute already mentioned, you can get dirt by sieving polluted water.  An easy way to get more polluted dirt is a carbon skimmer/sieve loop.  I believe there's a way to actually cook dirt from clay, but I forget the transition points for it.

I thought so too, but like wanted to avoid. shrooms are low quality I think. Maybe I can make more omelettes instead. Lol I dont know what happened to the font. So what happens then if I run out of sand instead of running out of dirt? There is not much sand around. Making sand with magma also makes too little.

never rely on meal lice as a late game food, move on to bristles, dust caps, and pincha peppers as they are much easier to sustain indefinitely 

4 minutes ago, superhanz said:

shrooms are low quality I think

fried mushrooms are mid quality, same quality as gristle berries

@superhanz It's nearly impossible to run out of sand now, as meteors drop you filteration material by the ton.  Try to save some sand for the glass factory later though.

If you look on the consumables tab on the game, you can see a table from -1 to +5 for the quality of food.  It usually goes up at least one + when you cook something.  For example, Mushrooms are 0, but fried mushrooms are +1. 

Common better foods are Fried Mushrooms (+1), Frost Buns and omelets (+2), and Pepper Bread (+5).  Try not to run over all the pinchapepper plants and leave them wild to regrow.  Same with the wild sleet wheat, so when you go raid the cold biomes, make sure you don't run them over, so they can regrow wildly.  Free foods!

5 minutes ago, superhanz said:

So what happens then if I run out of sand instead of running out of dirt? There is not much sand around. Making sand with magma also makes too little.

use regolith, you'll never run out of that

4 minutes ago, superhanz said:

I can put regolith in the water sieve and glass machine?

glass forge needs sand, everything else can use regolith

2 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Sieve and scrubber, yes.  Glass I'm not sure of, but I think it needs to be sand for that.

confirmed, it needs sand

Speaking of dirt and polluted dirt, what our alternative to prevent pdirt gasses off? I'm not using sieves much in the past. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to confirm these:

1. Store underwater, which not really applicable to sieve because it drop on the ground
  2. Gas pressure above 1800

Currently I'm using the latter, I believe it says "emitting polluted oxygen 0" but sometimes there is green bubble animation going on. The same thing happened to my compost.

Just now, abud said:

Currently I'm using the latter, I believe it says "emitting polluted oxygen 0" but sometimes there is green bubble animation going on. The same thing happened to my compost.

Probably a small pocket of CO2 present from a Dupe exhaling in the vicinity.  Eventually it will delete itself in the face of overwhelming O2 pressure, but it takes a bit.

28 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Probably a small pocket of CO2 present from a Dupe exhaling in the vicinity.  Eventually it will delete itself in the face of overwhelming O2 pressure, but it takes a bit.

wait a minute doesnt granite and other stuff land on the surface? You could smash it into sand with the granulator. Can this be confirmed?

1 hour ago, abud said:

Speaking of dirt and polluted dirt, what our alternative to prevent pdirt gasses off? I'm not using sieves much in the past. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to confirm these:

1. Store underwater, which not really applicable to sieve because it drop on the ground

Yes, store under water or in a room with 1800 g of gas pressure to prevent offgassing (same for slime).  What I do is build a small water tank (2 tiles deep) next to my compost piles and put some water in it (1 tile deep) along with several storage compactors set for PDirt only and priority 6 or 7.  A couple of compactors will hold a LOT of PDirt.

Eventually, I also try to build a small room filled with 1800 g of chlorine and store all my Slime in there.  Prevents offgassing and kills all the slimelung germs that are on the Slime leaving it safe to use for anything.

The big gas bubble animation on the compost pile plays quite often but doesn't seem to be actually releasing any gas (the PDirt and Slime offgassing yes, the compost pile no), so I think it's just part of the compost's animation.

2 hours ago, superhanz said:

wait a minute doesnt granite and other stuff land on the surface? You could smash it into sand with the granulator. Can this be confirmed?

Not...  sure what you're asking here, or what it has to do with making Dirt...

7 hours ago, abud said:

I would keep the sieve and compost in a sealed room of 2kg chlorine.  The pdirt won't off gas and any food poisoning from the pwater won't transfer to the dirt from compost

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I would keep the sieve and compost in a sealed room of 2kg chlorine.  The pdirt won't off gas and any food poisoning from the pwater won't transfer to the dirt from compost

I go a step further. I turn my Chlorine geysers into storage rooms for offgassing materials, composting, seiving, algae distilling, etc. Have the space and the geyser naturally goes to 5kg so it's pretty easy to get rid of all the other gasses over a couple cycles. 

14 hours ago, Neotuck said:

glass forge needs sand, everything else can use regolith

confirmed, it needs sand

How do you make it so those things use Regolith first? Have to lock the sand in some secret chamber or is there a way to block the use of it for specific buildings?

13 hours ago, superhanz said:

No only regolith and refined iron land on the surface

26 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

How do you make it so those things use Regolith first? Have to lock the sand in some secret chamber or is there a way to block the use of it for specific buildings?

Store sand in a room by itself and lock the door when not in use

21 minutes ago, DaveSatx said:

I build my room full of compost bins so that any out-gassing is captured by a few deodorizers. zero complications, free o2 :)

yes but if the objective is dirt then you lose dirt while it off-gases

thing to note about regolith is that since it can act as a substitute for sand, you can use it to deodorize PO2 into O2 and send the clay (or ceramic if the other doesn't work) into the granulator to make sand so theoretically you can get back sand for more use

Archived