I thought I could make dirt by blowing up water, but it is not enough.

Just now, Lilalaunekuh said:

Right now you need a volcano to create infinite glass (But if you turn every raw mineral/metal into sand you should have plenty^^)

You can get "free" glass from regolith as well. Use it as your filtration medium, then turn the clay into ceramic, then crush it in the granulator.  

16 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

You can get "free" glass from regolith as well. Use it as your filtration medium, then turn the clay into ceramic, then crush it in the granulator.  

Sorry for my bad understanding of english. But from your statement I got the hope for free glass by crushing ceramic...

image.png.879bbab5dc9f8073584dd75280393866.png

To get glass, only way is to use clay into glass forge, isn't it?

Small addition: You need hatches as well to make some coal by feeding them some clay^^

=> 150Kg regolith -> 100Kg sand

(The water sieve can yield you a ratio of 10% regoltih to sand conversion.

Cooking your sand into glass with heat is still 2 times as effectiv as the glass forge)

4 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

The conversion ratio is is not dependent on the heat source

(Glass forge is 100Kg sand to 25 glass / Heating sand results in 100Kg glass and worst case you need to dig it up resulting in 50Kg glass)

I was referring to the rate per sec, heating glass takes a lot of heat and you'll end up tapping the heat from volcanoes quickly.

It's true the glass forge runs at a 4:1 ratio but the power requirements are cheaper than trying to heat the sand directly 

If we look at all conversion temperatures "sand->glass" is the highest temperature for a usefull conversion we can reach right now.

=> Why not use the highest heat we got to do the best possible thing with it ?

(Let´s forge your own glass with the highest volcano ouputs before you use the output somewhere else. So if I want some glass, it´s just a reduction in throuput for my boiler afterwards and some additional autosweepers.)

So when my boiler is running I don´t have any need for energy and sand is infinite anyway ;)

=> If I want to build something using a huge amount of glass I prefer the glass forge too

4 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

If we look at all conversion temperatures "sand->glass" is the highest temperature for a usefull conversion we can reach right now.

=> Why not use the highest heat we got to do the best possible thing with it ?

(Let´s forge your own glass with the highest volcano ouputs before you use the output somewhere else. So if I want some glass, it´s just a reduction in throuput for my boiler afterwards and some additional autosweepers.)

So when my boiler is running I don´t have any need for energy and sand is infinite anyway ;)

=> If I want to build something using a huge amount of glass I prefer the glass forge too

I do agree, I'll look into making a glass maker using a gold volcano.  I'll post results later 

I got a vacuume room between my heat source and boiler. Just metal walls, vacuume and tempshift plates inside, a row storage compactors ;) 

(If nothing is inside my storage compactors my room acts like a big heat pipe and if something is inside it will exchange heat with the metal tile below (or some spare molten glass)  )

33 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I got a vacuume room between my heat source and boiler. Just metal walls, vacuume and tempshift plates inside, a row storage compactors ;) 

(If nothing is inside my storage compactors my room acts like a big heat pipe and if something is inside it will exchange heat with the metal tile below (or some spare molten glass)  )

Ok what are your compactors made of?  In most of my experiments involving compactors heat exchange is very slow, even tungsten 

Just a small note here:

If you got a vacuume room the heat transfer is initiated by the tempshift plate on the lower tile occupied by the compactor.

=> The heat transfer happens between the content and the tempshift plate/ tile below (the compactor is not involved in the heat transfer)

(When not inside a vacuume compactor acts like some wire or other building, so the only requirement for the material is staying solid^^)

PS: My compactors are made of obsidian^^ (And if you do it inside a vacuume your heat transfer is just 1/4 of what it could be)

21 minutes ago, Neotuck said:
1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

PS: My compactors are made of obsidian^^ (And if you do it inside a vacuume your heat transfer is just 1/4 of what it could be)

why not tungsten? 

My room is a vacuume, so it doesn´t matter and I don´t like the red tooltip for unpowered smart storage^^

Maybe I start an own topic soon ;)

(But it´s not so hard to achiev if got a vacuume inside your room. Like the volcano is a source of heat on one side you can create some source of cold on the other side so the molten glass will stay molten where my compactors are placed and turns into glass if it flows to the sides. You could even use the oil boiler as cold spot ^^)

17 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Maybe I start an own topic soon ;)

I look forward to it

Just remember a glass forge can make up to 400kg glass per cycle so your build needs to be more effective than that

Just now, Neotuck said:

I look forward to it

Just remember a glass forge can make up to 400kg glass per cycle so your build needs to be more effective than that

More efficient for sure but the effectivness is based on the heat source and the temperature of the sand input.

(Just some math to show, why I still use a glass forge:

If you can only use ~800°K temperature difference and the best iron volcano should produce 500kg each cycle

=>  The best volcano could yield ~ 180MJ each cycle

=>  180MJ can heat up 400kg sand by ~540°K)

Archived