Shine bug power plant

So I was running some pipe through my automated nursery that was stuffed with baby shine nymphs, when I had to break open a wall, and then they LIT UP LIKE THE SUN, which inspired this.

5b384db701706_Screenshot(186).thumb.png.9794f8b14ecf9a0df39cb22f210507f5.png

Yes this is an exploit, specifically trapping an huge number of shine bugs in an area that is not counted as a closed room, due to the water lock.  Any critter that can drown won't enter deep water, but water does not count as a border of a "room", so as long as you have a large space on the other side, you effectively have a MASSIVE room for shine bugs to be happily not overcrowded in, when in reality they are all being squished like sardines against a solar panel for power.  I do not intend to use this outside of my test world, and I do hope this gets patched out, somehow...

I thought this was funny enough to share for laughs, and I hope everyone can take this in the spirit I intended, amusement at an odd interaction and manipulation of various game mechanics.  I also hope people don't use this in an otherwise honest, dupe built world, it will break the game balance and make for a poor experience.

I am keeping the shine bugs together whit lure. And i don't understand why is consider exploit?

1.thumb.jpg.4616e5e461e4bd9cec2896d474cccdcc.jpg

Here i build a maze for storing all the wild drekos in the asteroid. This is an exploit? And in the right a fish tank for storing all the pakus. And think this also is an exploit.

12.thumb.jpg.93406184d5f241fb9d1b44493ec8fa25.jpg

I don't need the energy produced by the shinebugs as you see a stored 9 k of natural gas from a gas vent

124.thumb.jpg.e8477353070c37cb9a1c595554755ef3.jpg

I want to store in my base all the creatures scattered in the asteroid, if this is consider exploit... Don't get me wrong. A am sick from the players who complains for the non essential things.

I am pissed for been unable to deselect the drekos from the critter feeder, and even if i select only to feed the hatch and hatchlings, if i build in another place another critter feeder and select only the sage hatch, you can't do that. What you select on one critter feeder is selected on all the critter feeder. So the critter will be filled whit stuff that the critter wont eat.

image.thumb.png.0232e2b8f1a80ada755deb862e431ef8.png

And I am pissed for the lack of icon for the molten glass on the forge,

image.thumb.png.559f4d954d4c0e48a0739109d911ad95.png

And especially for the new arrangement of the egg cracker recipes> I need to scroll a lot for one dense puflfet egg, and 2 shine bugs eggs

image.thumb.png.a2dc5303fec0146046d943d8bb8517dc.png

This is important for me not some idea that trapping some creature in an enclosed area is exploit...

Best regards

3 hours ago, tzionut said:

i don't understand why is consider exploit?

Because Klei don't want we use massive Shine Bug population to light the Solar Panel. As it says in the patch notes :

Shine Bugs stop glowing when they're overcrowded

6 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Because Klei don't want we use massive Shine Bug population to light the Solar Panel. As it says in the patch notes :

Klei can want anything, but they will not restrict players from doing stuff they want by adding a strange binary switchoff, yeah, they meay harden some hacks to the game but that will not do much. Trying to restrict players in game that is written by rules you cannot fully control is stupid. ONI is one such. (of course they can restrict playstyle strictly, but hey, who likes games where you have no freedom and random?)

Another possible solution would be to check the number of bugs near a given bug. If there are too many, the given bug turns off. This means that overcrowded can be based on actual surroundings and not count in a room.

I swear I saw my pacus doing this already, swimming to a densely populated section of water made them overcrowded. But swimming to a sparsely crowded they were fine. This of course could all be my imagination :) 

2 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

I swear I saw my pacus doing this already, swimming to a densely populated section of water made them overcrowded. But swimming to a sparsely crowded they were fine. This of course could all be my imagination :) 

That's different.  Pacu are bugged, in that when checking to see if they have enough room, they only consider tiles to the right of their current position, not the left.  So when they swim near the right end of their tank/pool, they become Overcrowded due to not enough space observed, making them Glum.

Sevio has a thread around somewhere that has pictures of it.  Basically, you create a room with an 8 tile long level floor, but on the left edge you add a 1 tile "pocket".  Fill the pocket, and just slightly overflow it onto the other 7 tiles (but make sure it's all 7 tiles).  Despite effectively only having a single tile of space, the Pacu will not be Overcrowded, because there are 8 connected tiles of liquid it can see.

17 hours ago, tzionut said:

I am keeping the shine bugs together whit lure. And i don't understand why is consider exploit?

This is important for me not some idea that trapping some creature in an enclosed area is exploit...

Best regards

What you are doing is not an exploit, it is using game mechanics as intended.  Because you are using a lure, the bugs can still roam the full expanse of the map if they "wanted" to.  In my build they physically cannot leave the room, because they would drown, but they don't consider it to be overcrowded, even though the space they actually have access to is very small.

There's a lot of possible ways Klei could counter what I was doing, but to ensure that it doesn't ruin legitimate strategies requires a delicate touch.  I personally like the idea of counting all the area they can navigate as their "room", what you see when you click "show navigation".

Here is a non-exploit version, Which you inspired @tzionut.  I had forgotten just how effective lures are, mostly because I was so frustrated at how short range they are/were before ranching upgrades.

5b39bad47d9fb_Screenshot(202).thumb.png.8a6e667195021c9f2b54c528bef5f0fe.png

The bottom of that ladder is open to the surroundings, so the shine bugs could fly out and about if they wanted to, but that lure is just so tempting I guess.

Now I just need to figure out a way to manage the population, without eradicating it, or letting it run wild.

for my PC's sake.

Now I just need to figure out a way to manage the population, without eradicating it, or letting it run wild.

I wait until the wild shine bug lay eggs and take that egg to one storage box next to lure. Then deselect the box and let that egg hatch naturally. Then  the new bug stay whit the lure. In that way i can store all the bugs on the asteroid. You don't need the grooming station near. I was forced to build one because the bugs were tamed in the hatch room.

If you want to manage the population you have the egg cracker but the egg menu is insane. I will be nice to have an option to let hatch only the number of eggs you select on the egg cracker menu on each type off egg. What is over that number cracked, and omelet.

Letting run wild, I don't think is a good idea. It will multiply very fast and waste the dupes time whit grooming them instead of the critters you want to groom.

Another thing what genius think that an room whit only dense puffs can lay only prince puffs. That prince puff is destined to be omelet or die from hunger. I don't mix the puffs whit the dense puffs and squeaky puffs. The tamed creatures multiplications need to be reconsidered before the final version. Now I waste time whit moving the eggs where I want them.

We are hitting insanity levels that should not even be possible.

The detection for overcrowded needs some tweaks, even if they shine solar power is weak.

28 shine bugs to get 100% of solar panel.

Archived