What Food should I be making?

2 minutes ago, Jazzy Jazzinton said:

While we're on the topic of farming, how does the fertilizer machine work? It never fails to confuse me.

A farmer uses the fertilizer station to apply micronutrients or "Farmer's Touch" to a plant.

After that the plant will grow twice as fast for one cycle

I cook stuffed berries. Berries only require water and fertilizer doesn't need that much dirt at all. I harvest wild sleet wheat for pepper bread too. I don't grow sleet wheat because it wasn't 100% renewable with my current setup (not enough dirt...). (and I was a bit lazy about finding a place in my base to fit the sleet wheat farm).

3 minutes ago, leoroy said:

..(and I was a bit lazy about finding a place in my base to fit the sleet wheat farm).

When i find >5 natural grown plants in close range to each other plant, i build a small greenhouse around..

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

When i find >5 natural grown plants in close range to each other plant, i build a small greenhouse around..

I thought you couldn't use fertilizer on wild plants? Or is there a passive bonus having plants in green house?

6 hours ago, Jazzy Jazzinton said:

Sidenote: Because I've only seen people plant Meal Lice I planted Meal Lice, without this advice I wouldve never used Sleet Wheat..

Meal Lice is ok for a starter food. You can have a decent farm of it up by the 3rd or 4th cycle with no trouble.  However, its a terrible food for the long run.  

Usually I'll start with Meal Lice and Bristle Bloom, but around cycle 20 to 50 or something I'll get shrooms up and running.  Once the shrooms are up, I'll get rid of the meal lice.  The mushrooms and bristle bloom will slowly be augmented by ranches.

Later, some time after cycle 50 but before cycle 300, I'll get pincha peppers and sleet wheat going.  I'll use a bit of everything in the late-game base. I find that if I focus on one type of food, I run into problems.  However, if I have several different types of food going, I don't have problems keeping my dupes fed.

Berry Sludge takes 1600 kcal in ingridence to create 4000 kcal food.

Mushrooms is a waste of time and has been so for a while now, with Cosmos upgrade you actually want to use slime for making dirt, so Mushrooms is now a very clear trap that you never ever want to use.

I have 1.2 million food and it goes up, with 16 dupes and 3 rooms of hatches  and all it takes is one room berry farm.

Berry Sludge, Stuffed Berry (Wild wheat gives me 2K in storage at cycle 800+), I have BBQ and omelettes automated, but it's more to cleanup stuff than because I intentionally farm eggs/meat.

12 hours ago, Jazzy Jazzinton said:

I know this sounds like a silly question, but what foods are best for Late Game? I don't have a ranch yet, and I have the Electric Grill. what are your favorite foods, and why? I just want to know which foods are the best investment.

Mealwood->Dusk Caps->Sleet Wheat

11 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

Berry Sludge takes something like 1600 kcal in ingridence to create 4000 kcal food.

Mushrooms is a waste of time and has been so for a while now, with Cosmos upgrade you actually want to use slime for making dirt, so Mushrooms is now a very clear trap that you never ever want to use.

I have 1.2 million food and it goes up, with 16 dupes and 3 rooms of hatches  and all it takes is one room berry farm.

Mushrooms make more kcal with slime compared to sleet wheat or meal lice with the dirt you make from same amount of slime. Mushrooms are a very good way to go, needs little dupe time to manage as you can automate slime distribution, and relatively easy to set up. The downside for mushroom is the food quality, on standard difficulty it is easily  managable even late game, but on fatalistic you ought to go for higher. You can even solo mushroom farming for large amount of dupes, the slime will last longer than most ppl play the game.

58 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

Berry Sludge takes 1600 kcal in ingridence to create 4000 kcal food.

Berry Sludge, Stuffed Berry (Wild wheat gives me 2K in storage at cycle 800+), I have BBQ and omelettes automated, but it's more to cleanup stuff than because I intentionally farm eggs/meat.

Tihihihihihi 

Berry sludge never goes old ai its The Ultimate food.

But skipping shrooms for sludge is going from 11kg slime per duplicant to 12.5kg dirt +55 litres of 0C or 24C water, a huge investment on futility.

And a Hatch eats a ton of Stone per meal. So 960kg x1.5 with 4k barbeque every 6 cycle.

Shrooms are nearly infinite. Algae distiller is the biggest resource destroyer You can build.

Feeding 77 dups. Have 90k food so storage is eaten daily.

3 hours ago, MorsDux said:

Mushrooms make more kcal with slime compared to sleet wheat or meal lice with the dirt you make from same amount of slime. Mushrooms are a very good way to go, needs little dupe time to manage as you can automate slime distribution, and relatively easy to set up. The downside for mushroom is the food quality, on standard difficulty it is easily  managable even late game, but on fatalistic you ought to go for higher. You can even solo mushroom farming for large amount of dupes, the slime will last longer than most ppl play the game.

And then there's those glorious moments when you have multiple wild mushrooms close together.  Just enclose them in insulated tiles and they'll augment your food supplies for a very long time.

The only real downside to mushrooms is that they stop being desirable once a dupe has mastered a top-tier job.

51 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Sorry, it's not.
I can run bases on natural grown food only..

But you dont need fertiliser for that. 24 trips to The natural farm for 4 pinchas.

*Edit: It can Be useful... 1.5kg water/cycle x2 natural plants vs 35kg for homegrown.

12 hours ago, Oozinator said:

;)
image.thumb.png.629d1403a7d29abbe668f8434714aa99.png

I did this once but I've never seen my farmer doing the "farmer touch" thing for wild ones... Maybe they were already too busy with the green house inside my base. Anyway, I got an ice biome packed with sleet wheat, I locked my farms(I wait for berries to fall) and I'm still at 800 000Kcal... I might try with some wild plants I kept from the starter biome in my base just to see it with my eyes!

Archived