Farming the Metal Volcanoes

On 6/29/2018 at 7:33 PM, Neotuck said:

was surprised I could keep the whole thing cool with a single aqua tuner

It's a gold volcano dude. They don't generate much heat.

Do this with a large magma one next. My design works for those but I preserve the heat as I extract it so I can cook oil then feed hatches off the output.

18 minutes ago, hacksaw12 said:

@Neotuck Thanks for the build update. I used your old guide at the end of my Ranching II game, seemed great. After your new post I went back and sure enough, steam was starting to build. Just a noob question, would your old build still work if you had used oil instead of water?

Possible but then you would have to deal with natural gas instead of steam

13 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

It's a gold volcano dude. They don't generate much heat.

Do this with a large magma one next. My design works for those but I preserve the heat as I extract it so I can cook oil then feed hatches off the output.

You seem to miss the point of the OP.  The build is for gathering an unlimited supply of metal without risking excessive heat to your base and dupes.  So why would I use this build on a magma volcano?

Also gold volcanoes emit gold at 2626.9C, where as magma volcanoes emit magma at 1726.9C

3 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Also gold volcanoes emit gold at 2626.9C, where as magma volcanoes emit magma at 1726.9C

In this game real temperatures don't matter that much. Specific heat capacity matters more. Gold has 0.129 heat capacity, magma 0.2 and igneous rock 1. Magma changes to igneous at 1409.9 C. Calculating joules needed to bring both volcano outputs to 0C. 

Gold: 0.129x2629.9= 338.8701

Magma: 0.2x(1726.9-1409.9)+ 1x1409.9 =1473.3

Dividing those 1473.3/338.8701= 4.35. This means magma needs 4.35 times more joules(cooling) to bring down to 0C. These numbers are the reason people use polluted water and hydrogen in their cooling loops. The specific heat capacity of a material matters a lot

18 hours ago, Jackblac said:

In this game real temperatures don't matter that much. Specific heat capacity matters more. Gold has 0.129 heat capacity, magma 0.2 and igneous rock 1. Magma changes to igneous at 1409.9 C. Calculating joules needed to bring both volcano outputs to 0C. 

Gold: 0.129x2629.9= 338.8701

Magma: 0.2x(1726.9-1409.9)+ 1x1409.9 =1473.3

Dividing those 1473.3/338.8701= 4.35. This means magma needs 4.35 times more joules(cooling) to bring down to 0C. These numbers are the reason people use polluted water and hydrogen in their cooling loops. The specific heat capacity of a material matters a lot

Since the last update magma is also 1 specific heat now, so the difference is even larger.

22 hours ago, Neotuck said:

You seem to miss the point of the OP

That's why I quoted the text I was replying to, rather than the op.

Archived