These are some things I've learned in my time playing Oxygen Not Included, and from people here on the Forums! Leave comments detailing your ideas, if you have any, that would help me out a considerable bit!

1. Space out your Meteor Scanners. A Scanner's Dish quality is reliant on two things: Nearby Scanners, and Nearby Tiles. if you put your scanner into a hole and put scanners right outside of the hole, chances are you're gonna have a bad Dish and Network Quality. Space them out and keep them out in the open, preferably up high. Doing so will increase the time window you have to prepare for incoming Meteor Showers by warning you earlier.

2. Capitalize on Geysers. In my World (cheats added because I'm bad at ONI) My power and water systems are reliant on a steam and natural gas geyser. With geysers you never have to rewire your entire plumbing system to tap into another water pocket or find more Natural Gas. No, Use Geysers! (Also called Vents)

3. Disposal of Waste. Here's another Late-Game tip: to get rid of unwanted gases and fluids, connect the Output port to a vent (of either kind) in open space and let it flow! Since gas and Liquid is basically vaporized in Open Space, you can permanently dispose of any and all Fluid or Gaseous waste!

I can't think of any more right now, so I'll leave it at 3 good ones. Post your ideas in the Comments Below, and maybe learn something new :)

4 hours ago, BlueLance said:

The wisest statement of them all, There is almost, always a use for a geyser, even if the output is rubbish it is a free resource!

But what about chlorine geysers?

6 minutes ago, Nicz said:
4 hours ago, BlueLance said:

The wisest statement of them all, There is almost, always a use for a geyser, even if the output is rubbish it is a free resource!

Free food with the right puft morph

7 minutes ago, Nicz said:

I did say almost.... but for a chlorine vent, if you had one, you might as well use it to feed squeaky pufts en mass. The more of them you can feed the more food you can convert them into. Personally I neglect pufts and I should really take my own advice.

Also ore scrubbers, they are great if you farm mushrooms, or are a neat freak.

To me the most useless geyser I can think of is honestly a hot steam vent, just because of how little it produces compared to every other water geyser.

1 hour ago, TOOK14 said:

Also ore scrubbers, they are great if you farm mushrooms, or are a neat freak.

To me the most useless geyser I can think of is honestly a hot steam vent, just because of how little it produces compared to every other water geyser.

I think the point of it was to be a slow and steady buildup of pressure for bursts of steam turbine energy, but with hwo the bug is on the steam turbine the steam would just pass through it lol

Well, you need at least 3000 grams of steam to turn the turbine, assuming a vacuum on top, so that would amount to a full active cycle to power it for a few seconds, I get far better results from a volcano, and even that is a pathetic level of performance.

8 minutes ago, TOOK14 said:

Well, you need at least 3000 grams of steam to turn the turbine, assuming a vacuum on top, so that would amount to a full active cycle to power it for a few seconds, I get far better results from a volcano, and even that is a pathetic level of performance.

That's why I would rather use a volcano to boil oil.  Get a whole lot more energy from natural gas generators than the turbines

5 hours ago, Nicz said:

Sanitation. If you have a Geyser of Chlorine you can use it to basically Vaporize any Germs. I hear you can place a Storage Container and set it to only Germy Materials and It'll be Neutralized. Also, found out one of these puppies Did Not generate in my world. Oxygen Not Included Wiki: If a Chlorine Geyser is not generated, a second Natural Gas Geyser will appear instead.

16 minutes ago, Jazzy Jazzinton said:

Sanitation. If you have a Geyser of Chlorine you can use it to basically Vaporize any Germs. I hear you can place a Storage Container and set it to only Germy Materials and It'll be Neutralized.

Yep. In my most recently abandoned base I built a large petro-locked room around the chlorine geyser and put my slime and bleach stone storage in there along with my algae distillers. Between this and deodorizers, i had absolutely no issues with slime lung. 

14 hours ago, vovik said:

chlorine geyser -> squeakypuft stable -> eggs

Also, chlorine geyser -> squeakypuft stable -> bleach stone -> hand sanitizer

Don't count Berry Slush out.  Sure there's tastier food but Slush will never rot and pincha peppers can be saved for tier 5 food.

Stables can be used for material storage if set up right.  Create a 19x6 room and set up tiles along the middle area to divide it into a three-high lower area and a two-high upper area with a one-space gap for a ladder.  The lower area can be used for the critters while the upper area can be filled with storage containers.  Make the doors at the upper area to prevent critters from sneaking out.

19 hours ago, TOOK14 said:

very true, I have been contemplating doing the same thing, I'm just thinking on what would be the best way to cool the natgas.

I posted a working boiler design with very efficient heat transfer and overheat neutralization with a separate pWater boiler room.

13 hours ago, Jazzy Jazzinton said:

What is "Petro"?

Sorry. I meant was that I used petroleum instead of water for a standard water lock. 

I'm very literal in my mind so I can't call something a water lock if it doesn't use water. Sometimes I forget to retranslate things from Beospeak back to normal terminology. 

1 hour ago, beowulf2010 said:

Sorry. I meant was that I used petroleum instead of water for a standard water lock.

Oh yeah, I've heard of that kind of airlock. instead of using mechanized airlock doors like this -> I=I you use water to keep gases from passing. I've also seen airlocks where you  make a 2 tile high Naptha door.

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jazzinton said:

Oh yeah, I've heard of that kind of airlock. instead of using mechanized airlock doors like this -> I=I you use water to keep gases from passing. I've also seen airlocks where you  make a 2 tile high Naptha door.

Yeah. I don't think the traditional 2 tile Naptha stack works anymore, but I could be wrong. I've never used it as it always felt exploity to me. I do know that you can still stack 2 to 4 different types of liquid for gas barriers though. (I don't use this either for the same reason.) 

Water and gas locks, however, work due to current intended behavior so I don't mind them. Not sure if they'll ever try to allow high pressure gas to move through partially full liquid tiles or not. If they do, we'll find another way to make effective air locks. 

Archived