The Ages of each character? (guesses)

He knows what poo is, at least--he can throw it!  : P

I...dunno, about the...everything in this thread.  First of all, the Gorge skins being canon only makes sense for the older characters (mainly Maxwell and Wickerbottom) because they're Victorian, and _everybody else was too young or NOT BORN then_.  We're talking at least a couple full decades back from the beginning of the 1900's.  (At LEAST.)  Wilson and Willow are both adults in "around 1920", and Willow is in her 20s according to the devs.  This means that, while she was a poor little orphan girl and possibly sat outside all night burning matches to keep warm/cheer herself up...she did not do that in the Victorian era.  She wouldn't have existed.

Wendy being a kid but the ages don't match up if she and Abigail are "the twins" mentioned in the William Carter puzzles I've said before, many times...and if we're going by voice-pitch, _Willow_ is actually the highest.  Wendy's is also a flute, but definitely deeper. 

The thing with mentally-ill characters dressing younger than their age?  I can DEFINITELY see.  Heck, according to the culture of the time, the _only_ female who's allowed to have her hair down at all is Wendy.  (And then she should bob it in a couple of years.  I SWEAR someday I'm gonna draw Flapper Wendy.)  The others should all have it Up, and I don't mean braids or pigtails.  I mean like a bun with fancy pieces hanging down at the sides and a pompadour, etc.  But Willow?  Pyromaniac, pigtails.  Wigfrid?  Has acted herself into ACTUALLY not being able to eat veggies anymore, even at the point of literal death--braids.  Wendy...is probably a kid, so that makes sense.  And Willow even goes around with a teddy bear, so...yeah.

(Winona _does_ have her hair up, in a "get-out-of-my-face" practical kind of way, rather than fashionable, and Walani is from another culture. Also we don't know her age.) 

So, that's what I have to say about that.  Heh.

...Notorious

Oh I agree it's a bit weird they all seem to come from different time periods, or at least their initial characters have that look. Yet, the devs did decide the Gorge for some reason has all Victorian dress. So perhaps that area is just stuck in that time period? Only explanation I can give for it. Makes sense in a way since the Forge had a primitive feel. 

Plus time period VS looks isn't very consistent. Winona is Charlies older sister, we know Charlie comes from Maxwell's time period, yet she looks very 1940's/50's in most of her looks. I feel like she was inspired by this 1942 poster:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_538122

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:
Spoiler

He knows what poo is, at least--he can throw it!  : P

I...dunno, about the...everything in this thread.  First of all, the Gorge skins being canon only makes sense for the older characters (mainly Maxwell and Wickerbottom) because they're Victorian, and _everybody else was too young or NOT BORN then_.  We're talking at least a couple full decades back from the beginning of the 1900's.  (At LEAST.)  Wilson and Willow are both adults in "around 1920", and Willow is in her 20s according to the devs.  This means that, while she was a poor little orphan girl and possibly sat outside all night burning matches to keep warm/cheer herself up...she did not do that in the Victorian era.  She wouldn't have existed.

Wendy being a kid but the ages don't match up if she and Abigail are "the twins" mentioned in the William Carter puzzles I've said before, many times...and if we're going by voice-pitch, _Willow_ is actually the highest.  Wendy's is also a flute, but definitely deeper. 

The thing with mentally-ill characters dressing younger than their age?  I can DEFINITELY see.  Heck, according to the culture of the time, the _only_ female who's allowed to have her hair down at all is Wendy.  (And then she should bob it in a couple of years.  I SWEAR someday I'm gonna draw Flapper Wendy.)  The others should all have it Up, and I don't mean braids or pigtails.  I mean like a bun with fancy pieces hanging down at the sides and a pompadour, etc.  But Willow?  Pyromaniac, pigtails.  Wigfrid?  Has acted herself into ACTUALLY not being able to eat veggies anymore, even at the point of literal death--braids.  Wendy...is probably a kid, so that makes sense.  And Willow even goes around with a teddy bear, so...yeah.

(Winona _does_ have her hair up, in a "get-out-of-my-face" practical kind of way, rather than fashionable, and Walani is from another culture. Also we don't know her age.) 

So, that's what I have to say about that.  Heh.

...Notorious

Well the gorge is after forge and we see that actually the characters transform into their victorian skins

Yeah...I mean, I think the special skins are more meant to fit each character's personality with a theme, rather than be something they actually used to do/be.  I mean, Wilson was never Jack Frost, and I don't think Maxwell was ever a silver-haired aristocrat that I keep expecting to yell "OBJECTION!" for some reason.  And Wigfrid is obviously not a dryad, as evidenced by her lack of roots (as far as we know) and ability to chop down random trees without hurting herself.

: P

...Notorious

22 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Yeah...I mean, I think the special skins are more meant to fit each character's personality with a theme, rather than be something they actually used to do/be.  I mean, Wilson was never Jack Frost, and I don't think Maxwell was ever a silver-haired aristocrat that I keep expecting to yell "OBJECTION!" for some reason.  And Wigfrid is obviously not a dryad, as evidenced by her lack of roots (as far as we know) and ability to chop down random trees without hurting herself.

: P

...Notorious

objeaction!

I do feel like the skins are fantasy, but partially grounded in who the characters are.
Actually...it seems like each of the Victorian line represents a possible life that would leave them satisfied. Or something to do with desire.
Wolfgang as a boxer. Wilson being able to apply his expertise and be recognized. Wendy can move on, Maxwell has prestige and presumably money; he was on the run earlier in life due to the latter, and as a magician would seek the former.

Even Willow; given her later life's events, she might actually miss whatever struggles she was going through before. Selling matchsticks to survive would probably be better than being locked up and treated like a nut.
...actually, I wonder if struggling to keep warm led to her pyromania. That would make her DST insanity debuff make a lot more sense.

Anyway.
I'd say the Victorian line centers around temptation; some effect of Charlie or the Gnaw, or the Gorge 'realm' itself. Like the survivors are being tempted in some way to stay there while the Gnaw turns them into mindless Merms. I mean...the goat village's remains did look nice, not to mention much more refined than anything else across the Constant and its realms. The Ancients may have been more advanced, but the goat society seemed more culturally attuned. So the Gnaw or the realm may have done similar to them; offered them happiness, in exchange for poison.
...you could say the Gorge's element is Sloth.

but yea that skin line isn't a good gauge of the outside time period lol

On 8/15/2018 at 7:57 PM, Tapirus said:

(My personal opinion:)

Wickerbottom:  48

Webber: 14

Maxwell: 37

WowEEE, how many 37-year-olds have _you_ known that look like Maxwell, age-wise?  And no I'm not talking about the decrepit worn-down version of him on the Nightmare Throne, I mean his normal looks.  Listen.  I'm here to tell you that I KNOW, definitely, that 37 don't look like that.  Not even back then, unless you had suffered through severe diseases as a child or something.  How do I know this so well?  Because I know _several_ people who look younger than Maxwell in the face, while being definitely older than 37.  Without plastic surgery or even makeup.  Sure, more people stayed outdoors doing hard labor back then, and disease etc. but Maxwell's gauntness and hollow eyes still show a face carved by more than just 37 years' worth of time.

As for Wicker being 48...again, middle aged looks OLD?!  She's the stereotypical Little Old Lady!  Gotta be at least 60.  I know that in older shows such as Star Trek, for example, they had this inflated idea of how fast a woman ages and whenever any woman was all of, say, 35, they gave her a full head of curled grey hair and major crinkles around her eyes, but...that's not what 48 looks like.  Not in the 1960s, not in the 1920's either.  Also:  Bear in mind, that as a librarian, Wicker would've had a mostly indoor life where she was _out of the sun_, rather than working hard outdoors like a farmer or whatever, and that would've preserved her skin longer.  She could be OLDER than 60 and just not look it.

Aaand, lesser but it still jumped out at me:  Webber strikes me as _definitely_ mentally younger than 14.  I'd say around 10 at the most.

Sorry, didn't mean this to sound insulting, but...(shakes head) wooooooowwww.

...Notorious

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

WowEEE, how many 37-year-olds have _you_ known that look like Maxwell, age-wise?  And no I'm not talking about the decrepit worn-down version of him on the Nightmare Throne, I mean his normal looks.  Listen.  I'm here to tell you that I KNOW, definitely, that 37 don't look like that.  Not even back then, unless you had suffered through severe diseases as a child or something.  How do I know this so well?  Because I know _several_ people who look younger than Maxwell in the face, while being definitely older than 37.  Without plastic surgery or even makeup.  Sure, more people stayed outdoors doing hard labor back then, and disease etc. but Maxwell's gauntness and hollow eyes still show a face carved by more than just 37 years' worth of time.

As for Wicker being 48...again, middle aged looks OLD?!  She's the stereotypical Little Old Lady!  Gotta be at least 60.  I know that in older shows such as Star Trek, for example, they had this inflated idea of how fast a woman ages and whenever any woman was all of, say, 35, they gave her a full head of curled grey hair and major crinkles around her eyes, but...that's not what 48 looks like.  Not in the 1960s, not in the 1920's either.  Also:  Bear in mind, that as a librarian, Wicker would've had a mostly indoor life where she was _out of the sun_, rather than working hard outdoors like a farmer or whatever, and that would've preserved her skin longer.  She could be OLDER than 60 and just not look it.

Aaand, lesser but it still jumped out at me:  Webber strikes me as _definitely_ mentally younger than 14.  I'd say around 10 at the most.

...Notorious

Nightmare Fuel Drugs

I say he is 9 cause he know what poop(diepie) ( Pewdiepie has an army of 9 year olds ) is also there is possibility that he could have early puberty ( I dunno what spider body effects could have there is NO STUDY ) and he doesn't act like a 

Spoiler

Depressed/Angsty Teen.

I think Maxwell isn't as old as he looks, I think he want people to think he is weaker than what he is capable of also I think the nightmare throne had weakened him and drained him that made him appear older.

I don't think Webber is any younger than 10 , ithink most of his personality is a reminiscent of before he came to the constant.  I see people say he has two personalities using his favourite colour as an indicator, but he says he like three colours do with logic wouldn't he have three personalities?  What I think he could have (I believe if not all most of the characters have mental health issues)  three personalities , himself , his reminiscent of his past self and the spider.  Also is it just me but is the spider female?  He makes the spider nests and he says the warrior spiders as "him" can't remember the exact quote but he does gender them.

Max before being dragged into the DS world seemed on the young side. There are a lot of things pointing to people not aging in the Constant/associated realms, so...maybe the throne's drain/entanglement with Them really did do that to him.

On 19/8/2018 at 11:17 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

...Notorious

Ok.

My opinion still without change. 

On 8/26/2018 at 3:49 PM, lifetheuniverse said:

as a distinguished people-watcher, i cannot help but agree

...the farther I've gotten into art and expanding my grasp of anatomy, the more I've caught myself absolutely staring down random people without meaning to.

Very relatable.

12 hours ago, crystal_clodet said:

Wilson : 31-32
Willow : 23
Wolfgang : 39-43
Wx-78 : does NOT age
Wendy : 9
Wickerbottom : 54-56
Woodie : 42
Webber : 8
Wes : 27
Wigfrid : 25
Maxwell : 47-52
Charlie : judging by her looks she doesn't look any older than when she was an assistant even younger i'd say my guess is about 29-31

Wicker and Maxwell are probably a little older.

Archived