Drawings and Drivel

3 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Or at least I haven't figured it out yet.

Step 1. Look at clothes. Stuff made out of thicker fabrics don't wrinkle as much, especially when they're fitted to the character. Also remember that it's a flat thing wrapped around a 3D person. 

3 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

look a little less like Woodie

I don't really disagree with you here. I feel like both of these designs are falling short of the mark. I'm not hopeful that the next two will be any better, but whatever.

3 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Why

Well, okay, I thought Donke was implying that Woodie looked like that ol' prez in the first design. I was skeptical, so I went to check. There you go: the result of the experiment. I'm still pretty skeptical.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ResettePlayer said:

Step 1. Look at clothes. Stuff made out of thicker fabrics don't wrinkle as much, especially when they're fitted to the character. Also remember that it's a flat thing wrapped around a 3D person. 

Well, I figured it could be about the shading, but sometimes that's confusing for me.
The last time I tried for flat clothing was a recent drawing of mine that I'll link in a private message or something because this isn't my art thread.

2 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

I don't really disagree with you here. I feel like both of these designs are falling short of the mark. I'm not hopeful that the next two will be any better, but whatever.

Hmm. I wish I knew quite why they don't, though. I mean, does his normal shadow skin look like him either? Not particularly, maybe... 
I guess Shadows + Woodie isn't a smooth combination, that's probably why it's so tricky. 

4 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

Well, okay, I thought Donke was implying that Woodie looked like that ol' prez in the first design. I was skeptical, so I went to check. There you go: the result of the experiment. I'm still pretty skeptical.

Ah, no worries. That was my reaction because I thought the scribble was ridiculously funny. 

5 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Well, I figured it could be about the shading, but sometimes that's confusing for me.
The last time I tried for flat clothing was a recent drawing of mine that I'll link in a private message or something because this isn't my art thread.

Well, you can stick it in a spoiler or something. That way someone else may be able to learn from it as well. It's up to you, though.

6 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Hmm. I wish I knew quite why they don't, though. I mean, does his normal shadow skin look like him either? Not particularly, maybe... 
I guess Shadows + Woodie isn't a smooth combination, that's probably why it's so tricky.

The in game outfit looks fine because it's so normal. I've been wondering since day 1 if the writers were implying that Woodie is too good-natured to actually use his powers for evil. "Clothes for leaping from tree to tree and eating buttered scones." reads the description. That's not terribly evil unless those scones were stolen. I posted the other description before, but it's relevant again: "The shadow realm is pretty much the same as here, just darker."

That's why changing the hair while keeping the outfit was probably the better idea. I wish I had realised that sooner. Oh well... until part four, where I'll do exactly that.

17 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

Well, you can stick it in a spoiler or something. That way someone else may be able to learn from it as well. It's up to you, though.

Alright then. Here you go, then.

Spoiler

dried_wishing_well_by_gallusvarius-dc7wl

While it's one of the best things I've done in a while, I know it pales in comparison to the work of many others. 
Person depicted there is a character of mine.

19 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

The in game outfit looks fine because it's so normal. I've been wondering since day 1 if the writers were implying that Woodie is too good-natured to actually use his powers for evil. "Clothes for leaping from tree to tree and eating buttered scones." reads the description. That's not terribly evil unless those scones were stolen. I posted the other description before, but it's relevant again: "The shadow realm is pretty much the same as here, just darker."

That's why changing the hair while keeping the outfit was probably the better idea. I wish I had realised that sooner. Oh well... until part four, where I'll do exactly that.

Too good-natured to use it for anything that's too evil, probably is a good theory... I still think there's an 'I'm watching you' or eeriness theme that can be added to it, even if he wouldn't harm anyone unprovoked. But again, yeah, that's basically his original skin a little. 
These drawings for him still are interesting though.

Hey, scone-stealing and the like gets you fined in Skyrim, and maybe worse. Of course it's evil! Death to all scone-stealers! 
Woodie is clearly even worse than Maxwell, who started all of the mess. 

5 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

While it's one of the best things I've done in a while, I know it pales in comparison to the work of many others.

Okay, clothing. What strikes me first is that the horizontal lines are all perfectly horizontal. Human arms and wastes are kind of like cylinders: the only time a line across the width of a cylinder is perfectly horizontal is when it is at eye level. Try to give a hint of the rounded forms along the ends of the dividing lines. 

The t shirt sleeves shouldn't be that flush to the side of the arm. The shirt isn't painted on there. Even if it fits fairly well, it is still a layer of cloth on top of the arm. Many t shirts actually have a little bit pointing out at the sleeve.

Spoiler

956_fl.jpg

It doesn't have to stick out a whole lot, T shirts do vary a bit, ask yourself: what kind is your character wearing?

T-shirt-anatomy.jpg

Note that the seams and collar are not perfectly flush with the rest of the shirt.

For the pants, I assume those are baggy pyjama pants, right? Either way, the stripes shouldn't be so straight. Again, think about the rounded structure of the person under the clothes.

Unless the pants are precisely the right length, they will hit the foot. The foot sticks out from the leg, of course, and the pants will "pile" up on the foot. This is called a break. Generally speaking, baggier pants have more breaks (wrinkles).

Spoiler

guide-to-pant-breaks-medium-break-2.jpg

Breaks don't necessarily mean pants are ill fitting.

Full-Break_Pants_1024x1024-2_1024x1024.p

See the curve of the hem, where it kind of wraps/falls around the foot? You might want to incorporate that. Another thing you might want to think of is how the pants flow from the waistband.

Spoiler

81rsKs7S3uL._UX342_.jpg

See how it hangs down? Clothing may be very lightweight, but it is still subject to gravity. This is especially true with floppier fabrics. Also not how the wrinkles get deeper and looser towards the bottom. This is because the leg generally tapers while these pants do not, and there is more space between the leg and the cloth around the ankles than around the thighs and hips. If you're not concerned about wrinkles at the moment, that's fine.

Summary: Indicate with hems and stripes that the clothing is wrapping around a three dimensional, generally rounded figure. Also show that there are different layers, that some things are on top of other things and they all have their own thicknesses. Shading is important, but so are the shapes and contours.

I hope that makes sense.

By the way, the colours and the lighting in that piece is pretty appealing. Nice job.

47 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Hey, scone-stealing and the like gets you fined in Skyrim, and maybe worse. Of course it's evil! Death to all scone-stealers! 
Woodie is clearly even worse than Maxwell, who started all of the mess. 

Come to think of it, scone theft is a pretty big deal in a game about the preciousness of food. What's wrong with you, Woodie!? Have some pity!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

The t shirt sleeves shouldn't be that flush to the side of the arm. The shirt isn't painted on there.

I do agree with this. I was thinking about that while drawing it, actually. It ended up the way it is now after a few sketchy attempts that didn't seem right either. 

38 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

Unless the pants are precisely the right length, they will hit the foot. The foot sticks out from the leg, of course, and the pants will "pile" up on the foot. This is called a break.

I don't think I thought about that as much. I knew it was wrong and wrong somewhere in that area, and that the pants should do something like that, but didn't exactly know how to translate it.
I've seen the pants do it on others the way I'm thinking of, and I've tried to draw wrinkles in clothing before, but they never come out right. 

I made this gift for a friend, of her character, some year or more ago actually. I tried too hard on said wrinkles.   I think the problem lies in that, I didn't depict wrinkles in the outline of the character, I just used shading to try and make them happen, and they're all in the wrong places.
I have a WIP where the outline is more forced to follow some wrinkles though. We'll see how that comes out.

Spoiler

moonset_by_gallusvarius-daw04fi.png

44 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

Also show that there are different layers, that some things are on top of other things and they all have their own thicknesses. Shading is important, but so are the shapes and contours.

I'm afraid this last part didn't make sense as much. Do you mean show some wrinkles are closer than others?
I think sharpening the contrast in certain shadings among the person here might have helped make them a little less flat. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I'm afraid this last part didn't make sense as much. Do you mean show some wrinkles are closer than others?

Sort of. I was thinking about literal clothes layers. For example, unless the shirt is tucked in, it will overlap the pants. Depending on the thickness of the elastic, the pants' waistband (though not visible) may influence how the shirt hangs or wrinkles in that area.

Also, the character was holding her arms out in front of her. How would the sleeves be influenced by that? If she's hugging her arms close, that would probably wrinkle the front of the shirt as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Also, the character was holding her arms out in front of her. How would the sleeves be influenced by that? If she's hugging her arms close, that would probably wrinkle the front of the shirt as well.

Holding arms close, yeah. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 8:44 AM, ResettePlayer said:

shwoodie1.jpg

Am I bad for thinking Lucy fused into being something like Senketsu from Kill La Kill and the Soul Calibur?:wilson_ecstatic:

19 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

shwoodie2.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaand now I'm getting Mind My Gap backflashes:

Spoiler

Were you in any way particularly influenced or read Bleach in the past? I'm getting a trendy aesthetic vibe from this. The dominate white background gives the subject way more focus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

Am I bad for thinking Lucy fused into being something like Senketsu from Kill La Kill and the Soul Calibur?

Well, Charlie got possessed when Maxwell ascended, so I don't see why Lucy would get out of this scot-free.

Aaaaaaaaaand now I'm getting Mind My Gap backflashes

Man, I love how eerie surrealism can be sometimes. Unsettling without trying too hard to be scary.

Also, did that guy die and become Manuel Calavera?

Spoiler

Manny-Calavera-Grim-Fandango-b.jpg

Were you in any way particularly influenced or read Bleach in the past? I'm getting a trendy aesthetic vibe from this. The dominate white background gives the subject way more focus.

I read Bleach... about eight years ago, maybe. I see the resemblance now, but I just left the background white because I'm lazy. Also, a fair amount of comic book covers leave white or "incomplete" backgrounds. 

Spoiler

open-uri20180427-4-q6xdvo?1524817553

• Haha 1

ShWoodie 3: Return of the Gradient.

shwoodie3.jpg

On an unrelated note, I stuck "Forge" in the rhyming dictionary, and only found "Gorge" and "George".

Does this mean we're getting "Purge" and "Scourge" next? 'Cos both of those sound like they should be real good. Real good. [does chef gesture]

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Does this mean we're getting "Purge" and "Scourge" next? 'Cos both of those sound like they should be real good. Real good. [does chef gesture]

No, everybody knows we're getting an unnamed event focusing on the other big part of DST, painting. The judge will be based of Bob Ross, continuing the trend of the big baddies being based of celebrities (The Gnaw, Gordon Ramsay, ect), and we will need to paint whatever he desires while also having an epic final battle with Charlie, or else face complete and utter annihilation.

But that's only a theory... a GAME THEORY.

Spoiler

Sorry, I just needed to do that. But Klei have really driven themselves into a corner with this pattern, I looked up words containing "org", and the only other possible names would seem to be big confusing sciency words that nobody ever uses and a surefire way to get a moderator showing up at your door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

shwoodie3.jpg

Your special effects seem to be really creative sometimes, integrating tree aspects into the throne is interesting and fitting.  It helps fill empty space in the picture too. 

I wonder if Lucy minds being set down off to the side there...

12 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

On an unrelated note, I stuck "Forge" in the rhyming dictionary, and only found "Gorge" and "George".

Obviously we need The George.
I can't wait to see what skins they have for the George. 

In reality, Purge and Scourge sound really cool.
So far it looks like each event is based off of something that already occurs in the normal game. We have one for fighting and another for cooking. I have no idea what they could possibly have in mind next or if they're really following a pattern or not, though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

King George V, reigning from 1910-1936.

george-v-9308922-2-raw.jpg

This is what all the George skins look like. Every single one of them, right down the to faces and the realism.

3 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

ShWoodie Four: ShWoodie No More.

shwoodie4.png

Now he matches Lucy.
Putting him in the portrait thing and outlining him to look like cut-out-paper was interesting, and the finger positions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gallusvarius said:

Now he matches Lucy.
Putting him in the portrait thing and outlining him to look like cut-out-paper was interesting, and the finger positions.

This was stolen straight from the wonderful Klei artists themselves. latest?cb=20160426014154 Man, looking them together... Klei did it better.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

This was stolen straight from the wonderful Klei artists themselves. latest?cb=20160426014154 Man, looking them together... Klei did it better.

I didn't notice until now that you were trying to copy the pose.
Hmm, Klei is more stylized and you'e more realistic.... They might have a better understanding of either flow or detail, but it's really a matter of opinion, I'd say.
All throughout time I've been a fan of realism more than style, myself. The art style of Don't Starve was never what originally drew me in, honestly. It's not bad, there's nothing wrong with it, and there is some very interesting and charming things about it, but I had to play a long time before I ever acknowledged or noticed it.

31 minutes ago, Wesminator said:

One day I hope to draw Woodie as nicely as you. He just looks so bad@$$ in your style; that's one lumberjack I would NOT mess with.

Ohh, thanks so much! I've visited your thread lately, and there's some great stuff in there. It's a different style, though, and I'm not sure how you might achieve a similar Woodie look.

I think the main thing here is that I've basically made Woodie's eyebrows into his eyelids. There is pretty much no gap between the two in most of my drawings. That, and framing a small pupil in a light-coloured iris increases the intensity of the stare. 

12 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

They might have a better understanding of either flow or detail,

Well, there's a lot of things. I have a hard time getting interesting poses. In the official portrait, there is a sense of movement, like he was caught in the middle of a gesture. I did have a moment when drawing mine when I noticed that I was lacking the tilt, and I thought I fixed it, but I should have pushed it further. That, and the official one was giving you more of the side-eye, if that makes any sense. His face is turned away more, which I think makes the thing generally more effective. There's just more character, you know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Well, there's a lot of things. I have a hard time getting interesting poses. In the official portrait, there is a sense of movement, like he was caught in the middle of a gesture. I did have a moment when drawing mine when I noticed that I was lacking the tilt, and I thought I fixed it, but I should have pushed it further. That, and the official one was giving you more of the side-eye, if that makes any sense. His face is turned away more, which I think makes the thing generally more effective. There's just more character, you know?

Character, yeah. Pose, flow, direction, character, whatever you call it. 
An artist I really admire had a tutorial for this among other things, they suggested drawing a line to depict the motion of flow. I just now learned from Wesinator that the same is used in animation. I have no doubt that whoever from Klei drew this, likely used the same.

• Like 3

On 6/22/2018 at 8:38 AM, ResettePlayer said:
  1. Well, Charlie got possessed when Maxwell ascended, so I don't see why Lucy would get out of this scot-free.
  2. Man, I love how eerie surrealism can be sometimes. Unsettling without trying too hard to be scary.Also, did that guy die and become Manuel Calavera?
  3. I read Bleach... about eight years ago, maybe. I see the resemblance now, but I just left the background white because I'm lazy. Also, a fair amount of comic book covers leave white or "incomplete" backgrounds.
  1. Makes sense. When I try to explain Lucy to my father, he gives me odd looks.:wilsondisappointed:
  2. Even though I love Grim Fandango, that's Diddybob. You can check his fate out in the episodes "swamp", "No place like home", and "Lonely Bones":.
  3. That makes sense! Current trends and all that.:wilson_smile:
On 6/22/2018 at 10:12 AM, ResettePlayer said:
  1. ShWoodie 3: Return of the Gradient.
  2. shwoodie3.jpg
  3. On an unrelated note, I stuck "Forge" in the rhyming dictionary, and only found "Gorge" and "George".Does this mean we're getting "Purge" and "Scourge" next? 'Cos both of those sound like they should be real good. Real good. [does chef gesture]
  1. Shi-Wood-ie! Shi-Wood-ie! Shi-Wood-ie! Shi-Wood-ie!
    The beaver who's hard to get!

2. I love making poses like those depending on the piece. I've seen Edward Elric in that pose.

3. Ooooo! A mental exercize in the desert sounds cool! Someone did a cactus webber design, so that'd be cool. Willow in a belly dancing outfit?5aa76668a4032_arielimpliedevil.png.f2a55a086558e295fb0100772b340f4a.png

On 6/22/2018 at 9:26 PM, Raspberry Milk said:

But that's only a theory... a GAME THEORY.

gametheory2.thumb.png.72dca901a9e4142bce352fff164fbe4b.png

On 6/23/2018 at 9:12 AM, ResettePlayer said:

shwoodie4.png

Did Woodie painstakingly make Henna tattoos onto Lucy or did she do it herself?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Makes sense. When I try to explain Lucy to my father, he gives me odd looks

"'Kay, so you got this guy, he's a stereotypical Canadian lumberjack, and he's, like, married to his axe or somethin'. She talks to him 'n stuff, yanno? No one knows if she's real or not, basically. Ya know what I mean?"

Mines' Dad: "...well."

40 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I love making poses like those depending on the piece. I've seen Edward Elric in that pose

I was kinda thinking of the Jarls in Skyrim. But yeah, Edward too.

42 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Ooooo! A mental exercize in the desert sounds cool! Someone did a cactus webber design, so that'd be cool. Willow in a belly dancing outfit?

I might be dumb. I'm not sure where you got this. 

43 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Did Woodie painstakingly make Henna tattoos onto Lucy or did she do it herself?

I dunno, man. It might just be her evil makeover that just *happened*. It's more like wood burning anyway. Can't imagine she'd be too keen on Woodie holding a hot iron to her handle for several minutes at a time.

This has been on my mind for a little while. We got Victorian era skins, what about the late 18th Century? Think French Revolution.

That time was probably the peak of Western male fashion.totesfab.thumb.png.10254c1e381ad6c41e81e4d61c650ee4.png

In which Doctor Higgsbury has a bit of a power trip. I totally trust this man.

Before you ask (if any of you happen to remember), I'll get that romance novel cover done soon. I've scrapped the comic idea because @minespatch did it better in his meme, and a comic would be redundant. So you'll just get the cover to use as you please. More memes? Go ahead. Smearing Woodie's reputation as a role model for the kiddos and a good and modest Christian? Go ahead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:
  1. "'Kay, so you got this guy, he's a stereotypical Canadian lumberjack, and he's, like, married to his axe or somethin'. She talks to him 'n stuff, yanno? No one knows if she's real or not, basically. Ya know what I mean?"
  2. I might be dumb. I'm not sure where you got this.
  3. This has been on my mind for a little while. We got Victorian era skins, what about the late 18th Century? Think French Revolution.That time was probably the peak of Western male fashion.totesfab.thumb.png.10254c1e381ad6c41e81e4d61c650ee4.pngIn which Doctor Higgsbury has a bit of a power trip. I totally trust this man.
  4. Before you ask (if any of you happen to remember), I'll get that romance novel cover done soon. I've scrapped the comic idea because @minespatch did it better in his meme, and a comic would be redundant. So you'll just get the cover to use as you please. More memes? Go ahead. Smearing Woodie's reputation as a role model for the kiddos and a good and modest Christian? Go ahead.
  1. Yup, that's how the convo went.:wilson_ecstatic:
  2. On 4/2/2018 at 11:47 PM, Aeschwutz said:

5ac2f90f2290a_ScorchRisenWebber.thumb.jpg.6cc57fbe6462b8856409a25fc3808a9c.jpg

Just rememebered this and figured that Scourge would be a great desert theme.

3. If togas can be a skin, why not perriwigs? Maxwell's aristocrat coat would match perfectly. The way you drew Wilson makes me think of the Perriwig maker short.
  4. Maybe I'll make a joke romance comic once I see what you make..5aa76668a4032_arielimpliedevil.png.f2a55a086558e295fb0100772b340f4a.png
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Just rememebered this and figured that Scourge would be a great desert theme.

Ahh, okay. Hey, maybe I can do an Arabian Nights sort of thing. That would be a cool aesthetic.

24 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Maybe I'll make a joke romance comic once I see what you make..

You do that. I might make some character reactions--one panel per character, for as many characters as I can think of a joke for. Quick doodles. Gotta defame Woodie as much as possible.

• Thanks 1