How to build a liquid lock?

Trying to build my first liquid lock and it's not going well.  When I try to deconstruct the extra tiles, the water simply sloshes out into the neighboring tiles, making a huge mess and the total mass drops out of the top tile into the bottom one, allowing gas mixing.

I remember someone posted a collage image of the steps.  It was nice and neat, but I can't find it now.

1. Build the tiles as in the image above.

2. Build some kind of liquid output (bottle emptier / liquid vent) so the liquid drops into the 4 empty tiles of the liquid lock.

3. Fill the liquid lock until all of the 4 tiles have liquid in them. Sometimes a small pocket of gas (typically CO2) can block the liquid flow like in the leftmost lock in the picture above, I usually just build an airtile there to let the gas out.

these locks cause "wetness" debuffs, you want the super lock, made with 3 separate liquids in small quantity, recommend a bottle emptier and just a few grams each of pwater oil and water between 2 blocks.
image.png.23b8c9b880a0a51291beb9ef6256190a.png
image.png.a48f066b99fb93778ba8893fa4934114.png

but with 3 different liquid types , with this liquid lock you get all the perks and none of the "downsides"

by jumping between two dry spaces across a liquid gap the dupe never registers as being in the liquid

To continue on Kabrute words this is my setup for advanced liquid lock (even if Im still using simplier lock on early)
Oil, Petrol, Water (from bottom to top)

5b00928f19db6_Capturedcran2018-05-1923_08_50.thumb.png.4456cf158b2c841ec259e7ebaf811a32.png

For hotter rooms : Oil, Naphta, Petrol
And a pump in the middle to vacuum it.

@SiromatikIf you could show how much liquid each that'd be awesome. :D Very interesting.

I tried to take your design and simplify it but it just turned into the old version. Although, it looks prettier. :D 

Sadly, they still get the sopping wet debuff.

Uses 1 bottle of polluted water and a couple drops of water.

WaterLock.thumb.png.467a469d753136ffcc88943a12597954.png

Great way to get meat too. :D Spoiler for those who don't want to see critter abuse.

Spoiler

Meat.thumb.png.033fcffea2aa9f9c22ed0c785c28249f.png

I usually uncheck bottle emptier as soon as some drops get out of it, until its already kilograms of liquid and only some few grams are going to stand on the "liquid stock", cant avoid to mop the overflow anyway :/

33 minutes ago, MidnightSteam said:

Sadly, they still get the sopping wet debuff.

Delete that upper insulated tile, duplicant cant break it with their head :D
(you need 3 tiles high of liquid to avoid the debuff)

33 minutes ago, MidnightSteam said:

I tried to take your design and simplify it but it just turned into the old version.

Yeah sorry I didnt elaborate on my screenshot but the two liquids stacks + vacuum are only for temperature insulation needs,
one liquid pile is enought in any other cases ;)

Why bother?

Just use gas locks.

I think most people stress problems is due to the stupid liquid lock.

xxx
  x
x g x
 xgx
  x

If the two g squares is CO2 no gas will pass. That prolly mean it's safest with 4 squares of CO2 in the lock.

Only time you need liquid locks is to block slimelung, because slimelung will infect the CO2 and pass that way.

I've been using a U and filling it from the bottom.  It over pressurizes just in time to make a seal.

20180516031040_1.thumb.jpg.ed79d77b081648329bbaea3fb08bf5de.jpg

This what happens if you remove the doors making it a room, stuff flys in to get groomed and it becomes a terrible mess.

Hm.  So it needs the side tiles to maintain integrity.  Well, guess I'll have to drop the floor a tile.  That would explain my problems.

Since it's for a Mushroom farm, I'm not particularly concerned about Sopping Wet, since access will require Exosuits.

2 hours ago, Miravlix said:

xxx
  x
x g x
 xgx
  x

If the two g squares is CO2 no gas will pass. That prolly mean it's safest with 4 squares of CO2 in the lock.

Only time you need liquid locks is to block slimelung, because slimelung will infect the CO2 and pass that way.

The problem with that is the gas I'm trying to contain is CO2 (mushroom farm).  Meanwhile, the "outside" pressure is between 2000 and 1700 of Oxygen, which will easily push in and begin displacing the CO2.  A consequence of not consuming enough Oxygen, causing my vent system to back up all the way into my SPOM.

2 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Hm.  So it needs the side tiles to maintain integrity.  Well, guess I'll have to drop the floor a tile.  That would explain my problems.

Since it's for a Mushroom farm, I'm not particularly concerned about Sopping Wet, since access will require Exosuits.

The problem with that is the gas I'm trying to contain is CO2 (mushroom farm).  Meanwhile, the "outside" pressure is between 2000 and 1700 of Oxygen, which will easily push in and begin displacing the CO2.  A consequence of not consuming enough Oxygen, causing my vent system to back up all the way into my SPOM.

With a mushroom farm I don't even bother with an air lock.  Same with a food storage room.  You enter from the top.  No side entrances.  The gas holds itself in.  Can't really do this with any other gas because co2 sits at the bottom.

2 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

With a mushroom farm I don't even bother with an air lock.  Same with a food storage room.  You enter from the top.  No side entrances.  The gas holds itself in.  Can't really do this with any other gas because co2 sits at the bottom.

Actually, flip the CO2 lock over and make it a hydrogen lock. You do have to use a ladder as it winds up needing the center to be 3 tall to work the same but it works really well when CO2 locks don't. 

Archived