Polluted Oxygen Geyser Use

In my latest run through I got a pO2 vent near my base and I'm not completely sure what do do with it. The build I went with doesn't really work well but maybe it would with some refinement. The original idea was to pump pO2 into a room, clean it with a deorderizer, cool it down and then pump it into my base. The build does that but the output of the deorderizer is so little that you just get small bits of oxygen going through intermittently. The pO2 started backing up so I decided I'd try and cool it down into water but I couldn't get my hydrogen to cool enough outside pipes to do so (the build should probably be in a cold biome but I'm not sure that would do enough). If I tried this again I'd probably forget about trying to get the pO2 into water and make my deorderizer chamber bigger with more deorderizers but I'm still not sure that the throughput is good enough to work too much better. My question is then what do you do with pO2 geyers?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d4e6668e4b289415fb430e9e63087975.png

image.thumb.png.353df4d5ce6ee8801aa664501549218c.png

image.thumb.png.a01686964650386156d273d2a1602f03.png

I wouldnt bother with deorderizers. You will have to cool down the pO2 anyway and by the time you are able to do that, you can just liquidify with just a bit extra effort.

That being said, i still havent tapped my po2 geyser, so take it with a grain of salt.

22 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I wouldnt bother with deorderizers. You will have to cool down the pO2 anyway and by the time you are able to do that, you can just liquidify with just a bit extra effort.

That being said, i still havent tapped my po2 geyser, so take it with a grain of salt.

How so?

@evenflow58, @TehPlayer14:

That's how i do it at the moment:

* Find an AETN (Anti-Enthropy Thermo Nullifier)

* fill room with hydrogen, add pump and vent

* create hydrogen filled room with 2-4 thermal regulators which is being cooled with the pump/vent in the AETN room

* build a po2 cooling room with a huge radiator out of radiant vents filled with hydrogen (cooled by the thermal regulators) and a pump

* fill the cooling room with po2 from somewhere (morbs, pw tanks, geysers) at a rate that still allows the room to maintain ~-183 °C (for me that is at pressure of ~1200g)

* pump the resulting liquid oxygen into another room (pipes might get damaged, disable repairing on them)

* pump the slightly warmed up oxygen back into your base

With a pO2 vent you might want to add an extra step of cooling before you place the pO2 into your liquidifying room.

I also was not yet able to increase the rate to more than ~500g/s, but it should be scalable.

My current setup:

Spoiler

EBE9E3EB71440D02ABBCF793D3C7747C9C557A24

All damages are from power outages or the early stages of setup. It is running pretty stable once i ironed out a few quirks of my early build.

Thermal

Spoiler

Temperature in my regulator chamber is currently too high, because i ran out of hydrogen. Normaly it should be around 20-30°C.

93D55DBD5B3670836E1E9BC4E779B572A8D08EDA

Ventilation

Spoiler

The visible output flow is a bit higher than in the normal use case. What you can currently see is the result of my output chamber being too cold and keeping the oxygen liquid. I am currently installing a small heater to prevent that from happening in the future.

2C255BCB3982E4AA1B03360808C0DC5D4894DCC9

Liquid

Spoiler

6D156D641DC8ECC1064EDBE23D67FB06B8A51115

Automation

Spoiler

Not much automation.

Vacuum door seal at the lower left to keep my temperature contained (Filter @0.1 seconds).

Thermal Sensors in my regulator chamber at above 20°C (start cooling pump) and below 70°C (safety to prevent overheating of regulators, should never trigger).

Lower Thermal Sensor @ above -190°C to "save" energy if the chamber should ever be cool enough (should never trigger as well).

Gas Temperature element sensor + gas shutoff before last regulator to prevent overcooling the hydrogen, blocks flow if gas is below -220°C.

Pressure sensor is not yet optimal because there is too much vent distance to the pump. Ideally it should be right next to a shutoff vent. Pressure is currently @~900g, which keeps my output flow pretty constant.

82238D1BD27319A3BA9A2ADF366F19092B26E37B

Mine was in a ice biome, so I made a small room with airflow tiles and deo on top (something like 6 wide and no more than that high and that was prolly too big) and pumpted the bad air from the geyser room into it. the po would float past the deo and I could then grab it with a pump sending it to my base.

The slimelung never seemed to be a factor. (At first it had no slimelung, but after a patch or when Is started using it it did have slimelung)

It's was free cool oxygen basically.

I'm not sure what the other posters is on about, I find the setups insane, maybe it's because I'm living in the Ranching Mark II world and silly builds like that is pointless. Even if I had the PO in a non ice biome, pumping it to one and around six tiles of radiation pipe would be the only big extension to the build.

Just now, Neotuck said:

bottom right

I am afraid, you'll have to explain a bit more.

To me it seems that there is a closed system, with just 1 heat source (the geyser).

How can it produce cool output without heating the rest up?

Just now, blash365 said:

I am afraid, you'll have to explain a bit more.

To me it seems that there is a closed system, with just 1 heat source (the geyser).

How can it produce cool output without heating the rest up?

it cools it'self in a loop

The regulators cool the hydrogen

water cools the regulators

a door closes allowing heat to transfer between the water and hydrogen when water gets too warm

Vent: Constant Heat output pumping more and more heat in your system.

Thermo Regulator: Simple moving of energy between sorrounding and cooling medium.

So if i assume that you are able to mix temperature outputs in the smartest way possible that results in cold oxygen in one place and a fairly cool sorrounding temperature around your regulators. it still is a mystery to me how you can deal with a constantly growing energy input without heating anything up.

Is this an old borg-cube build or something?

28 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

that might be possible, I did this during MK1

I'll need to find my old save file and see if this still works

It might also just be beneficial phase changes. 

Remember, it takes more energy to boil off polluted water than it does to cool the steam back down to the original temperature. 

It takes 240kW to raise 1kg of polluted water by 40 degrees, but only 167.2kW to cool the same amount of steam or clean water. 

I just have a long 4 tile high room with the vent on the right and some deodorizers along this room (3 of them) and by the time the oxygen hits the left it's cool and clean enough to pump into the base. I'm sure a few wheezeworts wouldn't hurt as well. Because the mass of the polluted oxygen is very low vs. the surrounding area, it cools quickly. I should also note I keep my base around 22C with cold oxygen from an AETN setup.

The easiest way to use it would be as Puft food.  This will produce Eggs and Slime.  Eggs become food.  Slime can become food through Mushrooms, or it can be processed for Algae and Polluted Water through the Distiller.  The Algae can be used for O2 through the Deodorizer, or as a temporary food source to start a Pacu meat farm (need to keep a few alive for a while to ensure increase in egg population before you wild-starve them for meat), which is more food.

This leaves the Polluted Water.  Allow it to off-gas back to P-O2 and recycle back to Puft Farm, or use it for coolant in your base before going to a Water Sieve for thermal reset or for irrigation of Pincha Peppers.

Polluted oxygen vent output usually so little, it cannot be the main source of the puft farm. Because of the same reason, it does not worth to spend so much energy and resources to turn it to clean oxygen. But if you make it one of the polluted oxygen sources for the puft farm, you will have the biggest benefit with very little cost. 

I built my puft farm in the slime area, which is a polluted oxygen source. Pumping polluted oxygen from the vent is the second source, open some space in nearest slime area and suck all the polluted oxygen, 3rd source. And polluted oxygen generated from my polluted water pool is the 4th source. All these sources support 15-18 pufts and the vents in the farm usually remain blocked, since there is 2kg polluted oxygen in the farm. 

Spoiler

farm.thumb.jpg.941bdc22360abe9b27631c268b3d1e92.jpg

For cooling all you need is 2 wheezeworts, and some polluted ice. The pump start pumping above 1000 g pressure. When it is inactive, inside temp. becomes -40 and when the vent becomes active it drops from 500c to 20-40c something. 

Spoiler

5af9385596f81_POvent.thumb.jpg.406204492aa39bd738af97dcfe2d00da.jpg

Yes, there is a lot of pumping, and it consumes energy. But if you want to save some energy from other polluted oxygen sources, you can use something like this:

Spoiler

5af939009591c_energysaving.thumb.jpg.9e06881188ca174925a0d47c11cd8472.jpg

If the air pressure below 100 g, big pump stops and little one starts.

Archived