What does the community typically use for armor?

Obviously, in DST, armor is important for a lot of things and you basically need it so you don’t get 2-3 shot by most of the later game bosses. In addition, armor is now split instead of stacking, which makes it so you can’t trivialize every enemy in the game with a log suit and football helmet. This, as a result, brings a lot of diversity to what people use as armor.

I never use the grass suit. It’s protection is too low and by the time you want to do combat you probably will have a science machine and the like anyway. The log suit however is typically my standard armor, as it does suffice against most of the early to mid bosses. 

Football helmets are nice and it’s an excellent combo with a magi for the speed you get. The battle helm (and before everyone in the entire community gets into this huge debate into Wigfrid or rocks or whatever, rocks are renewable, and gold is renewable) is also an excellent choice, as it has 210 more durability then the football helmet (from 315 to 525!)

Nightmare armor and marble suits are an interesting pick as well. Both of them reduce damage by 95%, but at the cost of speed or sanity respectively. I personally only use the marble suit in niche situations, or occasionally during ruins clearing. Nightmare armor is excellent though and usually is the one I use more of the 2. The sanity drain is definitely an issue and can definitely get you harassed by shadow monsters, which is why I don’t typically use the armor if I am expecting to take a lot of damage, especially during the weaver battle.

The ruins also have pretty great gear as well. The thulucite suit is typically what I don’t usually use, but it has 90% protection, the equivalent of 4 log suits of durability (1260), and also provides a bit of sanity at no extra cost. I usually don’t use it much as the thulucite crown basically is all I could ever want of a head ifem and more: 90% protection, 840 durability (the equivalent of 2 2/3 football helmets), and also has a chance to produce a shield that completely stops any and all damage at the cost of the crown taking more damage and a minor sanity penalty for each hit. I usually use it. with the log suit or the like, as the damage gets split between both and helps save durability on the crown.

Once you brave the weaver and kill him, he drops the valuable bone armor, which is a very convenient piece of gear in general. Blocking a hit every 5 seconds is significant, especially during boss fights or just taking the occasional hit or 2 from a hound attack. In addition, since you can permanently keep the armor with some nightmare fuel, you will never have to worry about needing another one. The only real downside is that you are completely defenseless while the shield charges up, which definitely is troubling in boss fights or large crowds of enemies. A head armor like the crown or just a simple football helmet definitely helps, if you can spare the slot.

The shelmet is an interesting piece of gear. I find it annoying to go and kill slurtles to have a slow replenishing source of gear, but it definitely is a good head item for what it does in general. The bone helm and beekeeper hats are really not armor you should be wearing all the time, but I use them frequently to go get lots of nightmare fuel in the case of the bone helm, or during the weaver or evil flower areas with the bee queen crown.

Overall, I like the diversity of armor in DST. There are lots of choices and lots of things you can consider about most armor types.

Anyone have any thoughts and opinions? I mostly play Webber, so I know things like shelmets might be more viable as Wicker or nightmare armor as Maxwell for example.

imo there's not really a big selection of armor to choose from in dst with only 8 torso armors (which only 3 have unique properties) and 7 head armors (which only 4 have unique properties) for me it's mostly just about what armor I have available to use which is usually a log suit and football helmet

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

Overall, I like the diversity of armor in DST. There are lots of choices and lots of things you can consider about most armor types.

I always felt the opposite way. The majority of armor is only useful in niche situations. So for me it boils down to what's the most effective armor with easy to obtain materials. And that's typically log suits and football helmets. Personally, I always thought thulecite was more work then it was worth. So I almost never use it.

11 minutes ago, Alarsin said:

People really do underestimate Wigfrid's helmets...

They do? It's pretty much just a more durable football helmet.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I always felt the opposite way. The majority of armor is only useful in niche situations. So for me it boils down to what's the most effective armor with easy to obtain materials. And that's typically log suits and football helmets. Personally, I always thought thulecite was more work then it was worth. So I almost never use it.

That makes sense. Log suits and football helms have always just been a stable source of armor that never fails. Cheap and efficient goes quite a long way.

I guess so as well. Most of my lategame is grinding the ruins though. Gives me something to do during the summer days, in addition to other misc things. I know it’s pretty boring after the first few times though, and it’s pretty annoying to raid them consistently no matter the strat you use, not to mention the weaver.

1 hour ago, Alarsin said:

People really do underestimate Wigfrid's helmets...

I like the helmets. The only thing that I don’t like them is you need a Wigfrid to maintain a constant stream of helmets, unless you make a ton of them,

Um is it just me who rarely rarely uses body armors? I think head helmets is enough in most cases (because I'd like to save logs for other purposes). Surely body armors usually can reduce your head gears damage by half, they also cost slots and more expensive (for me), not mention you must give up a backpacks or amulets slot for it.

The times I still remembered using body armors are: wood armor at the very start when you play Maxwell (and have lots of logs); thulecite suit in combo with bee queen helm when playing with weaver and bone armor when kiting some bosses (I also rarey use it becoz my friends often grabbed this armor faster than me XD).

Still, I'm more of a full-time builder than a fighter. What's your opinion? 

as i usually play wigfrid in long term servers, of course i have to use my own product.

and torso armors aren't as useful in DST due to the loss of armor stacking. although you could apply that to head armor as well, no one really wants to drop their backpack.

ive never heard of anyone underrestimating battle helms though.

15 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

and torso armors aren't as useful in DST due to the loss of armor stacking. although you could apply that to head armor as well, no one really wants to drop their backpack.

Tho they are not that useful as in DS, it can be still an advantage if you wear both. If you have an expensive head armor (thulecite crown for example) and lots of cheap body armor (log suits etc), then wearing both provides you the higher protection with extending that armor's capacity. 

8 hours ago, Starlogy said:

no one really wants to drop their backpack.

I drop my bag all the time (unless I'm on a public server, then I'm extremely hesitant). In most cases, combat only lasts a few minutes at most, so leaving it on the ground for that long isn't a big deal to me.

Chest armor - rarely. As a cobblestone junkie, no wood gets used for log suits on my server (besides, a stack can only make 2 armors, and there are no trees where I need armor most - ruins, caves; topside I usually fight with a beefalo, so armor is completely useless). When I do use chest armor, it's usually a to split damage (wood + pig/wigfrid helmet), or reduce damage taken in high-DPS fight (bee queen -> night armor/ + beekeeper's hat).

Head armor - wigfrid helmets wherever available (not playing as wigrid myself), otherwise I keep 2 pig helmets + resource to make more if I'm going solo into new area.

Dropping your backpack - depends on place and season. Summer, topside? Watch out for fires. Spring? Wet backpack -> sanity drain. Are you fighting moslings, by chance? Unless that was a Krampus/piggy sack or you have a lightning rod at the site, kiss your backpack goodbye. In caves? Make sure there are no slurtles around, or keep your important minerals on you.

The snail armors have decent stats, and I may try using some for the fuelweaver fight, but farming and transporting is a chore. So much so that that there hasn't been a fight where they would be preferred to the easier-to-produce options.

8 minutes ago, myxal said:

snail armors have decent stats.. but farming and transporting is a chore. So much so that that there hasn't been a fight where they would be preferred to the easier-to-produce options.

Try farming them via Rock Lobsters - which has a lel factor in itself :devilish:

Regarding topic, I too usually use just head gear (Football Helmets or Battle Helms in general; 1x Thulecite Crown as last resort in raid/Super-bosses fights; Bee Queen Crown at times to counteract sanity loss from the likes of Deer, Toad or FW). After getting Bone Armor I also use it in battles like Shadow Chesspieces one or vs Klaus (where you get a comfortable >5s default, good fail-safe when kite-hiccuping). Otherwise 1-2 Log Suits come in handy at times as other commentators pointed (more so if one Krampus Sack farms thus getting extra inventory space for them).

Archived