Jump to content

Would renewable hydrogen break the game?


Recommended Posts

So I was reading through an old post made by @Parusoid highlighting some unused content he/she'd found while digging through the game files when the Palmera Tree - which wiki describes as a plant that drops buds that off-gasses hydrogen - caught my eye.  I would personally welcome a means of producing Hydrogen so that Hydrogen Generators would be more practical, but I imagine it would be hard to balance any hydrogen production so that they don't become too good.  What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think hydrogen producers like the Palmera Tree would break the game?  Or given how easy it is to set up banks of Natural Gas Generators, would easy hydrogen be par for the course?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, goboking said:

So I was reading through an old post made by @Parusoid highlighting some unused content he/she'd found while digging through the game files when the Palmera Tree - which wiki describes as a plant that drops buds that off-gasses hydrogen - caught my eye.

That Wiki page is clearly outdated now...  Swamp Lilies and Palmera Trees were obviously combined to create the Balm Lily.  And Crushed Ice now appears in the game as part of the AETN ruins, there are a number of tiles of it in the area.  First time seeing mention of the Volgas, though.  I wonder if that and the Pacu are meant to be a long term renewable source of Meat....

6 hours ago, goboking said:

I would personally welcome a means of producing Hydrogen so that Hydrogen Generators would be more practical, but I imagine it would be hard to balance any hydrogen production so that they don't become too good.  What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think hydrogen producers like the Palmera Tree would break the game?  Or given how easy it is to set up banks of Natural Gas Generators, would easy hydrogen be par for the course?

I mean...  to a point, they already are.  Electrolyzers.  The issue is what you do with all the Oxygen, which, to get a significant quantity of Hydrogen, you would have way, way, way more Oxygen than you would know what to do with.  And nothing consumes clean Oxygen except Dupes.

6 hours ago, Kermack said:

Hydrogen geysers used to be a thing and were removed.  The electrolyzer produces hydrogen now so I assume that's why they removed it from the seed gen.

To my knowledge, Hydrogen Geysers have never existed.  Only Steam and NatGas, then in Outbreak we got Chlorine (and lost ~80% of our other Geysers...  *cries*).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2018 at 1:30 AM, PhailRaptor said:

I mean...  to a point, they already are.  Electrolyzers.  The issue is what you do with all the Oxygen, which, to get a significant quantity of Hydrogen, you would have way, way, way more Oxygen than you would know what to do with.  And nothing consumes clean Oxygen except Dupes.

Electrolyzers comes with plenty of drawbacks.  They produce oxygen, which becomes a detriment once you've hit the threshold that keeps your base pressurized.  They also consume water and produce heat.  Neither of these are deal breakers, but they do limit the efficiency with which we can use hydrogen as a reliable, efficient source to power our base the way we do with natural gas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, goboking said:

Electrolyzers comes with plenty of drawbacks.  They produce oxygen, which becomes a detriment once you've hit the threshold that keeps your base pressurized.  They also consume water and produce heat.  Neither of these are deal breakers, but they do limit the efficiency with which we can use hydrogen as a reliable, efficient source to power our base the way we do with natural gas.

I put my electrolyzers in a sealed room.  I try to pump the oxygen away as quickly as I can and put it im a room where it will be compressed using doors.  I also try to build my electolyzers closer to the ceiling so they rest on the hydrogen rather than the oxygen.  If you do that, then the oxygen isn't really a factor anymore in the hydrogen production.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a hydrogen geyser it would just make the game too easy, to be honest.  At least natural gas is a mess to deal with since you have to deal with the heat and waste products.

But maybe an animal or plant that releases hydrogen would be OK.  Maybe an animal that eats natural gas or petroleum and outputs hydrogen?  I could get down with that.

Just be glad that the CO2 Scrubber uses clean water an input instead of hydrogen like it probably should.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Electrolyzer is THE only way to get steady supply of hydrogen. Which makes current builds quite limited. You build electrolyzer and then you always build a hydrogen generator. 

Building hyd.gens without electrolyzers, supplied by local pockets of gas is not worth it. But with some other source of hydrogen it could.

And should said plant be farmable it could be balanced by managing fertilization sources or liquids, required for said plant, so hydrogen won;t be endless just because plant is here..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry if asking a stupid question, but too much O2 keeps reported as a problem (here and within other threads). I did not test it yet (production is still low in current base) but could the excess O2 be use to fill the ways outside the main base? (pushing away others gaz, killing slime bugs !!, etc...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i was able to supply lots of O2 to some nearby biomes, but still my gas pipe is full, and my exosuits are also full so yes you can supply but not kill slimelungs except if the temp of O2 is below 10c (probably)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

on the topic of hydrogen geysers and renewable hydrogen the preview update has them in the game now.

only down side i see is that they get very hot but a couple of Wheezeworts will do the job.

20180308160506_1.thumb.jpg.70fac0cf6ddaec5cede37ee9c2886bee.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hyev said:

on the topic of hydrogen geysers and renewable hydrogen the preview update has them in the game now.

only down side i see is that they get very hot but a couple of Wheezeworts will do the job.

20180308160506_1.thumb.jpg.70fac0cf6ddaec5cede37ee9c2886bee.jpg

God I love new updates :D it takes the combined knowledge of all veteran players and runs them though a blender 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, hyev said:

only down side i see is that they get very hot but a couple of Wheezeworts will do the job.

Nice.  Unless it's hot enough to fry a pump this should provide some free, renewable power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, goboking said:

Nice.  Unless it's hot enough to fry a pump this should provide some free, renewable power.

True, but the fact is that it isn't really necessary.  Cooling methods are a lot more important, even more so based on all these new types of Geysers being added.  We were kind of already in need of an early but weak method of cooling water.  And now we're going to need a lot stronger air conditioning setup for late game, what with Magma spewing forth from the depths of the map background.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PickPay said:

Though why turn Hydrogen into the same as Natural Gas, I think we didn't need a Geyser.

saying we don't need hydrogen geysers because we have electrolyzers would be like saying we don't need natural gas geysers because we have fertilizer synthesizers 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...