How to handle mixing new dupes in with experienced?

Seems like every colony I've had goes on a long 100 cycle stability run, then I have the resources to add more.

The problem is I have maybe 8 or 9 supplies that are super efficient and any newcomers end up being slow or ineffective?

What are some ideas regarding new included?

I generally do not play on the fast mode, so micromanaging isn't really an issue..

Very good question. I think to disallow new dupes from like going to far down a latter by door regulation allowing only experienced dupes because the new ones need for ever to get up again is a good start. And, i haven't tried it myself but maybe you can empty your storages and let them haul everything to new storages only accessible by them (again door management) and then repeat 

Whenever possible I train new dupes as gofer, courier, and then groundskeeper before anything else, even early in the game. They may be slow but at least they can carry huge loads of material that way.

Later in the game you can certainly try building satellite outposts and material depots to reduce the amount of long-distance travel dupes need to do. And build tubes I guess. There are plenty of options for cutting down on travel time once you've basically stabilized your base and have materials to spare for big infrastructure projects.

Play 8 ppl only, no need to take more. 3 on base (Electrician, Farmer, Chief) 5 outside (2 Miners, Rail-Engineer, Builder, Gofer) Some one can do ART just swith when you need it, and Research too. The rest professions are pointless. Don't take invalids and you don't need doctors then.

As someone who used to play with an average of 6 dupes per colony (some had 4, some had 8, but usually 6), I've found 10 to be the sweet spot with the occupations. I think the balance is still off, so 6-8 isn't enough when you have lots of projects in the transition from early to mid-game, for example, but when you don't have lots going on, you end up with several idle dupes until you start micromanaging what they're doing.

Anyway, as to the original question, I don't really worry about it too much. If there's an in-base (or near-base) project or job I can give new dupes to get them a bit caught up on leveling, I'll do that. Otherwise, I just throw them into the fire and amuse myself with how bad they are by comparison lol (basically Ostrich algorithm).

I just accept they are dead weight.  Often the take so long to get to the job site they turn around and slowly go back home, often missing their sleep.  They did nothing but the long walk helps level up athletics.

I did try giving them research tree as first job thinking that would speed the rest of the job learning but it takes soooo long to get through that, I do not think it was a good answer.

5 minutes ago, chemie said:

I just accept they are dead weight.  Often the take so long to get to the job site they turn around and slowly go back home, often missing their sleep.  They did nothing but the long walk helps level up athletics.

I agree with this.  I generally find it too hard to manage the new guys so that they are useful that I just don't worry about it.  They will level up over time and my buildings will get built.  The only exception is when I feel the need to build a minibase.  I tend to assign the lower level dupes to those so that they can train faster.

Archived