What is the constant?

Ok so if you look in the collection menu the game mention many things that "entered" the constant. But what exactly do you guys think this is? It seems to be the Don't Starve world but Battlemaster Pugna has also referred to something called the "hub" as well. Have we seen the hub yet? The Hamlet gets foreshadowed as one of the descriptions of a pig king background says they came to rule in the constant. These words keep popping up with no answers so what do you guys think all of this means. I personally think the Don't Starve game is in an inter-dimensional universe and the Constant is one of its many dimensions. But with the name of "the constant" its probably much more important than we think. Possibly above our knowledge as of now.

I'm personally liking the "gem theory". Where each different world corresponds to a gem.

Red Gem (Fire/Life)- The Forge - A world of fire, duh.

Orange Gem (Lazy/Teleportation) - The Constant - Unchanging but continuous.

You could probably reason Hamlet & Shipwrecked even, but I'd rather not make that leap.

Huh.  Interesting idea.  But me being the type of geek I am, I can't help but start thinking about "What is this, the Lantern Corps of Universes?!"  XD  Red = angry, orange = greedy, yellow = fear...

Snark aside, however...I dunno about Hamlet yet, but I have NEVER thought of Shipwrecked as _actually_ being a seperate thing from the rest of the Don't Starve world.  I've always assumed that if programming and memory resources allowed, you could just sail straight off of "The Mainland" (the RoG/Vanilla world) into "The Islands", and that the Seaworthy wasn't actually a dimensional gateway, but was simply teleporting you _laterally_ across the same planet.  (And there are already definite examples of this kind of teleporting in the DS universe, aka the Telelocator Staff and Lazy Deserter.)

Yes, the climates are all different, but...let's face it, climate has never made sense in the world of Don't Starve.  Is it colder towards the north and south ends of the map and warmer in the middle areas? no, it's the same season everywhere.  : P  (Although wouldn't THAT be an interesting mod!  And complicated.)  And in real life, we get DRASTICALLY different weather patterns in different parts of the world anyway.

Hamlet, however...yeah that might actually be a gate into another world _or_ hidden pocket in the "regular" world (The Constant) where the Pig Civilization stayed...civliized.  Think your classic Lost Worlds in the Center of the Earth or some random hidden obscure mountain valley where people live in peace and dinosaurs still roam around, that kind of thing. 

Anyway.

...Notorious

In the Curio Cabinet, you can read " history of travels". I take it like if the survivor team was traveling into different universe 'the forge, hamlet, SW...). On my girlfriend account, i can read "the atrium gate lies dormant" because she never played the forge or SW (just together). Well, they'll travel in different worlds using the atrium gate...

9 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I'm personally liking the "gem theory". Where each different world corresponds to a gem.

Red Gem (Fire/Life)- The Forge - A world of fire, duh.

Orange Gem (Lazy/Teleportation) - The Constant - Unchanging but continuous.

You could probably reason Hamlet & Shipwrecked even, but I'd rather not make that leap.

maybe orange should be time ? :D  because lazy and teleportation  spend less time :D

Also if each gem represents a world... what does the Iridescent gem correspond to? I mean it has no use but is powerful, cold, and linked to the moon. Well space is also cold too. Does this mean something?

I also noticed the the number of gems that can be found in the ruins is 6. Which is the same number of branches coming out of Ancient Gateway in the Methues Art

Archived