What are you going to do if there is no gear?

I have explored 100% maps, almost near the end of winter, have killed deerclops and 3 MacTusk and I am worry about my base in Summer (I dont care about foods because I play Wendy and I have built birdcage)

Do I really need to make a base in cave and stay there for the whole summer? I keep dying in cave...

How about just opening Tumbleweeds while praying to RNGesus? 1% chance per gear, be lucky :p

Edit: If you don't manage to get the gears you need you can also just base in the Oasis. Nothing is gonna catch of fire there, and your base should be safe, unless your base is very close to the oasis, since fire only starts around your player and you don't have to deal with the caves. Just make sure you bring a bit of starting wood, a precrafted endo pit and a spider den for silk along, because your local recources there are very limited.

42 minutes ago, mq003at said:

I am afraid those Dogs (Hounds) there will attack me (or my Abigail) and result in my death :p

P/s: will the spider den be burnt in summer?

Constantly living in fear of failure, is a failure.

Honestly, you should be fine unless you decide to run right in the middle of all the hound mounds. And once you know where they are you can avoid that area, or work on destroying the mounds. And yes, spider dens are flammable.

3 hours ago, mq003at said:

I keep dying in cave...

The Ruins are a great place to get gears, though.

Perhaps you might find trying to be successful in the cavern life to be useful.

1 hour ago, Daniel86268 said:

1% chance per gear

It's not exactly 1%, but close.

Gears have a 1/101.06 chance of dropping if the world has completable chess pieces, or 1/100.16 if it does not.

0.989511181476350682762715218682% and 0.998402555910543130990415335463%, respectively.

You’ve done really well for someone who hasn’t even built an icebox yet. If caves make you nervous, you can build a base In the grassy area around an entrance with farms, another birdcage and whatever else you think you need and just hunker there. On the surface, you’ll also have to deal with overheating and it’s just generally not worth it in the summer unless you’re up at the oasis killing Antlion and fishing for festive lights. And even that is pretty boring.

What do you die to in the caves? Do you have a lantern/miner’s cap? With that and some armor you should be able to handle anything but worms. Until you learn to fight those, you can always lead them to bunnymen or lobsters.

4 hours ago, mq003at said:

I am afraid those Dogs (Hounds) there will attack me (or my Abigail) and result in my death :p

P/s: will the spider den be burnt in summer?

In the oasis (or in the entire sandstorm desert for that matter) nothing catches fire, spider dens are no exception. You still overheat though. Spider dens give you access to monster meat, silk and spider glands which are all very good recources. (Especially spider silk for fishing in the oasis during summer.)

Not sure about the hounds though. How did you survive them till now? Tooth traps? If so you can just create another tooth trap area in or near the oasis, or move your current traps over temporarily.

Man, I definitely know about THIS problem.  Happened to me several times (at least three or four, anyway).  I used to just...be away from my base all summer, before there was even an oasis.  So things would still catch fire but at least they wouldn't be MY things.  : P  I too get the heebie-jeebies from the caves, so...(You can rarely see all around you, the equivalent of hounds comes from under your FEET, and there's stuff like monkeys that make the Shipwrecked ones look _nice_, bunnymen who will gank you for your culinary choices, and jumping LIGHTING spiders.  Not a fan.)

If nothing else works, I just kinda go semi-nomadic during the summer.  I once did a challenge where I had to be a hunter-gatherer with nothing permanent except a firepit, no backpack either, for a whole game year--and I'm not a very good player according to most people here, so if _I_ can do it you probably can.  Heh.  (I did make a science machine for long enough to prototype a spear, a logsuit, earmuffs, a thermal stone and, since magic isn't technology at all so (shrug), a small endo fire.  And that was it.  Would've been allowed to make a beefalo hat if I had found any before winter...I didn't.)

How did I deal with hound waves when I wasn't allowed to have a base at all, summer or otherwise?  Let other things take care of it.  If you've explored the whole map you probably know where things like beefalo, large spider dens, and pig villages are.  If you're wandering around for the summer, bringing along all your tooth traps everywhere will be impractical, so...

Anyway just don't BE at your main base during the summer, because fire in the Don't Starve universe apparently works on the Strong Anthropic Principle, and that makes total sense and is not weird at all.  : P

...Notorious

If you die in caves then a base not in oasis is still possible.   I can get by without flingomatics in the summer by doing two things.

1.   Carry water balloons to put out fires in base while you are there.

2.  Leave base at nightfall (just before dawn) so no fires can start as sometimes you can miss one starting.   

On 1/5/2018 at 11:46 AM, CarlZalph said:

Gears have a 1/101.06 chance of dropping if the world has completable chess pieces, or 1/100.16 if it does not.

0.989511181476350682762715218682% and 0.998402555910543130990415335463%, respectively.

That is... an impressively pointless adjustment.

4 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

That is... an impressively pointless adjustment.

Perhaps, but it's an important one.

In the files gears are listed as 1%, but the code uses them as a weighted chance and normalizes them based on all of the probabilities added up.

This will affect the higher odds more so than the one with less weight, and is good to point at it.

5 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Perhaps, but it's an important one.

In the files gears are listed as 1%, but the code uses them as a weighted chance and normalizes them based on all of the probabilities added up.

This will affect the higher odds more so than the one with less weight, and is good to point at it.

I meant it was a pointless adjustment by Klei, not that it was pointless for you to correct. I'd definitely argue whether or not it's important to note though.

1 hour ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Not sure if someone's said this or not, but klaus always has your back. Any item in the game has a chance of poofing when opening one of his gifts. I know some are pre set. But 1 single box has random loot. -A.R

That one gift contains random boss loot. Gears aren't dropped from any bosses. If he's dropping random items you're likely playing on a modded server.

10 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I meant it was a pointless adjustment by Klei, not that it was pointless for you to correct. I'd definitely argue whether or not it's important to note though.

It's probably not an intentional adjustment. Most likely what happened was that it was actually 1% at some point, and then they added new items that could be dropped by tumbleweed indirectly making all the other items slightly less common.

Archived