What is the point of the refrigerator?

It does not prevent food from spoiling, it consumes a lot of power, gien you will use two of them. They have space only for 100 kgs of food.

All you need for ration box to preserve food infinitely is to provide cardon dioxide.

What are the advantage of refrigerators over ration boxes now?

AFAIK that glitch is now fixed in Oil. Currently, items inside a fridge (or inside a compost) only exchange heat with a virtual heat source at a fixed 4°C (75°C for the compost), and nothing else (not the container itself nor the air outside)

Incidentally, it looks like fridges don't have to be powered to cool the food inside at the moment.

I put my refrigerators in the middle of my dining rooms to reduce walking time. It disqualifies the use of sterile gases. It's not too much power considering how it's easy to have electricity in the current state of the game.

12 minutes ago, Cilya said:

I put my refrigerators in the middle of my dining rooms to reduce walking time. It disqualifies the use of sterile gases. It's not too much power considering how it's easy to have electricity in the current state of the game.

I also have one in my mess hall but I don't bother to power it. I just set the maximum amount that is stored equal to the daily consumption of my dupes and set the priority one notch higher than the long term storages. Any excess is then stored in the sterile storages away from the base but they tend to eat from the nearest storage to their assigned mess table meaning the food in the mess hall storage never gets more than a day old at most.

22 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Is it really a reduction, because its always same distance, from a to c, where b is your ref. No difference , when you move b, between a and c, or not?

ONI is 2d not 1d, so you'd think of it as a triangle and not a line. Putting production, consumption and storage of anything close together reduces walking time.

Putting a storage room between kitchen and mess hall increases the distance between the kitchen and the mess hall. Not putting it between increases the walking distance. Anyway, I don't think any of this is of any importance. There is a lot of free time, a lot of free power, no real need to optimize anything here.

You can try that, but you'll end up with lots of rot piles and later polluted dirt. You also have to micromanage that type of cooling more than most. Something that does work nicely though is to have a polluted o2 room for a small amount of dupes to live in and never leave. The food spoils quickly and the rot piles retain the temperature they had as food, so the room is self cooling. I've been doing this sort of thing for water and polluted water production with ugly criers.

The polluted dirt won't actually provide that much o2 though, so it's best to have alternative sources.

13 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Like @PhailRaptor mentioned, a Ration box is a 2x2 structure, and hold less space than two fridges, and like he said No point powering them.

That said there is a glitch where the items they cool, cool the air outside the fridge.

that's been fixed for a while. Fridge now warms the surroundings

I sometimes put a powered fridge in the med bay to be able to lock them in for faster curing without having them starving to death.

Archived