Willow's Bernie Cage Tutorial (nightmare farming)

What about instead of using nightmare amulets, that are expensive to make in the first place and have a low durability (3 min 12 sec according to wiki), switch to a bone helm? Won't that work as well? Crafting a bunch of Barnies is also silly, 2-3 should be more than enough since you can easily repair them.

Anyway, isn't Max the best nightmare fuel farmer? Why bother with Willow? :)

9 minutes ago, cezarica said:

Well if you're playing Willow you aren't Maxwell. :)

I very much doubt they're going for "OMG NEW META BEST STRAT". Just something you can do if you're Willow, like the first sentence says.

Everything is dirt cheap after some good scavenging, gets a lotta fuel in the process. If someone plays Willow at least would provide not only anti nightmare protection, but also would be able to make a structure for farming a lot of nightmare fuel. This allows people to use the excess gold (trinkets) and purple gems they gather from ruins. I honestly think it's great to gather those things and put them into use, making Bernies and repairing isn't really expensive, due to multiple ways to farm silk and hound teeth. Also this structure is more powerful with more people, either just with solo Wolfgang or Wigfrid this structure would benefit them more over a short period of time to farm fuel, instead of waiting for them to pop up one by one. besides, Bernies with less amount will distract less and would take more damage, which won't give the result that's wanted.

Why not bother with Willow? She has something people just don't realize that it can be really powerful.

47 minutes ago, cezarica said:

What about instead of using nightmare amulets, that are expensive to make in the first place and have a low durability (3 min 12 sec according to wiki), switch to a bone helm? Won't that work as well? Crafting a bunch of Barnies is also silly, 2-3 should be more than enough since you can easily repair them.

39 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Well if you're playing Willow you aren't Maxwell. :)

I very much doubt they're going for "OMG NEW META BEST STRAT". Just something you can do if you're Willow, like the first sentence says.

Well at least Willow players can create something now that would produce nightmare fuel, and it's more than regular farming, also a use for the resources that usually just lays around.

I don't really care for some silly "meta" stuff, this is just a little invention I created to make fuel farming more efficient, having another use for Bernies, and a use for the resources in exchange for nightmare fuel. Well, Wendy is only one who can do a powerful sanity station, the one done with butterflies and it wouldn't be as effective, same goes for Willow's Bernies, regular nightmare farming replaced with a much more productive way. Different things, tho shows different results compared with the primal techniques.

Bonehelm with Bernies are not a great idea, you'll act as a Bernie instead. If you choose to use a war beefalo, that would be your safe bet, tho the beefalo will take damage and fighting the nightmares would be way more chaotic.

The structure that is shown on the video stabilizes the extreme measures of farming, creating it into a kind of "tower defence game", where you protect Bernies and farm the nightmares while they are distracted.

If you want or not to play Willow, it's your choice and I understand, tho this is just a suggestion for anyone who might play Willow, or if they find this structure useful, anyone would have the option to try it out whenever anyone wants. The way you farm nightmare fuel is your choice, I preffer this option more to avoid insanity and random nightmares, and the long waiting for them to popup when they are needed. In late game, this is rather a powerful way to do it.

Well, it looks like Maxwell now has a synergy with Willow. Willow builds the farm/Bernies and Maxwell farms the fuel using his insanity trick.

Also, if you don't want to be using up so many nightmare amulets you could always build a lazy deserter nearby too. You can go from full sanity to none in no time flat if you channel it, tap a directional key, channel, tap a directional key, ect.

3 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Well, it looks like Maxwell now has a synergy with Willow. Willow builds the farm/Bernies and Maxwell farms the fuel using his insanity trick.

Also, if you don't want to be using up so many nightmare amulets you could always build a lazy deserter nearby too. You can go from full sanity to none in no time flat if you channel it, tap a directional key, channel, tap a directional key, ect.

The nightmare amulet isn't only used to go insane, it also spawns nightmares. If you went insane with just the lazy deserter, nightmares would spawn much much slower than that.

To save nightmare amulet durability you can quickly equip and unequip it until a nightmare spawns. It will barely lose durability this way and you will get fast nightmare spawns.

1 hour ago, Hobgoblino said:

The nightmare amulet isn't only used to go insane, it also spawns nightmares. If you went insane with just the lazy deserter, nightmares would spawn much much slower than that.

To save nightmare amulet durability you can quickly equip and unequip it until a nightmare spawns. It will barely lose durability this way and you will get fast nightmare spawns.

Interesting. I didn't know the amulet spawned Them like that. There's been a few times that I've been insane for almost a couple of days without any of Them spawning. So this bit of info is gonna be very helpful when that situation happens again.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Interesting. I didn't know the amulet spawned Them like that. There's been a few times that I've been insane for almost a couple of days without any of Them spawning. So this bit of info is gonna be very helpful when that situation happens again.

there is one thing about this though it only really works for a while and if you are insane  if you are not insane the nightmares despawn  can maintain this with maxwells trick, deserter, sanity station, ect but you also need some one to keep the bernies active if you choose to spam the amulet cause they wont be once sane again

did this with mantas b4 he had nm amulet i had bone and we would have about 10 nightmares at once  for the entire duration and at full throttle this can pump out about 3 stacks a day

The Bone Helm as far as I recall makes you like you have 0 sanity and you see Them but there's a twist as they don't attack you unless provoked? So I guess this would work in a team of at least two players where one wears the helm and the other attacks the shadow creatures and that bunch of Bernie draw fire on them instead of the players? You tested this and isn't working like I just mentioned or tried some other way?

5 hours ago, cezarica said:

The Bone Helm as far as I recall makes you like you have 0 sanity and you see Them but there's a twist as they don't attack you unless provoked? So I guess this would work in a team of at least two players where one wears the helm and the other attacks the shadow creatures and that bunch of Bernie draw fire on them instead of the players? You tested this and isn't working like I just mentioned or tried some other way?

I tested, the way Bernies and bone helm works together is a bit messed up, since the bernies try to take agro, then you try to take the agro, and the bonehelm de-agros nightmares, and you can't tell when is the best time to hit them because they will constantly switch from you, to bone helm, to Bernies

20 minutes ago, Mantas said:

I tested, the way Bernies and bone helm works together is a bit messed up, since the bernies try to take agro, then you try to take the agro, and the bonehelm de-agros nightmares, and you can't tell when is the best time to hit them because they will constantly switch from you, to bone helm, to Bernies

hopefully that could be adjusted, as that doesn't seem to be intended behavior.

This isn't the first time I've seen this strat, but I think you're way overselling both the "cheap" cost and the efficiency.

In the video you posted the bernies didn't seem to make much of a difference, which makes me question whether there's any advantage compared to just doing it with a nightmare amulet.

37 minutes ago, Toros said:

This isn't the first time I've seen this strat, but I think you're way overselling both the "cheap" cost and the efficiency.

In the video you posted the bernies didn't seem to make much of a difference, which makes me question whether there's any advantage compared to just doing it with a nightmare amulet.

Without testing it you won't see the difference, the video is just how to set it up. You can't expect something without actually doing it yourself.

4 hours ago, Mantas said:

Without testing it you won't see the difference, the video is just how to set it up. You can't expect something without actually doing it yourself.

I just tested it using your method and just kiting the nightmare monsters myself as Willow.  After several amulets, it's about 20-24 nightmare fuel per amulet (not counting the 4 needed to make it) and using a bernie station made no difference in productivity.

It was easier to kite using a bernie station because I didn't need to fight more than one at a time, but I don't believe this is actually a faster way to get nightmare fuel, just an expensive and easier way.

I also tested just an amulet as Wolfgang, which awarded 24 nightmare fuel but the combat was very easy as I could kill them as they spawned and safely get double hits on terror beaks.

Basically, what I suspected from the start holds true: This is not actually a more efficient strat as presented, it just makes kiting easier while farming nightmares with an amulet.  It's good for people who aren't good at kiting, but the only real efficiency boost is from the amulet.

On 10/20/2017 at 7:01 AM, Mantas said:

9 hours ago, cezarica said:

@Mantas Mind explaining what is so "derpy " about the bone helm? What doesn't work? I'm asking cos the amulet and bone helm basically do the same thing with a few differences.

he already has.... please read the actual posts

Ah, missed that part. Well, here's where the difference in helm and amulet kicks in. The amulet makes you insane and shadows attack you while the helm only makes them get close and only scare but not attack you.

So, what about the person wearing the helm doesn't attack any of the shadows and only the other player or players not wearing it do the attacking? Have you tested like this?

6 minutes ago, cezarica said:

Ah, missed that part. Well, here's where the difference in helm and amulet kicks in. The amulet makes you insane and shadows attack you while the helm only makes them get close and only scare but not attack you.

So, what about the person wearing the helm doesn't attack any of the shadows and only the other player or players not wearing it do the attacking? Have you tested like this?

that's how we farm fuel. One person just dancing, or making some stuff on the base wearing helmet and another 3 just farm nightmares. A lot of fuel and sanity for  team. 

Archived