Won't bottle emptier mechanic cause mass balance issues?

This topic is a bit old, but I wanted to point out that a stifled pincha pepper plant on a hydroponic tile will consume polluted water without growing. Make enough of these, and the polluted water problem is solved. You can do the same with regular water and sleet wheat, though I never really find myself needing to remove clean water.

7 hours ago, FloomRide said:

This topic is a bit old, but I wanted to point out that a stifled pincha pepper plant on a hydroponic tile will consume polluted water without growing. Make enough of these, and the polluted water problem is solved. You can do the same with regular water and sleet wheat, though I never really find myself needing to remove clean water.

Iirc the next patch will make it so if a plant is stifled they will no longer consume water or fertilizer.

Thanks all for the comments.

My current game at 3,000 has net polluted water production.  That's with showers turned off so just lavs, CO2 scrubbers and nat gas gens producing and fertilizers and a small pepper farm consuming.

Now, with peppers to REQUIRE phosphorite, that means peppers is not infinitely sustainable either so they are not an option for long-term sink.

I just do not want to HAVE to run a mealwood farm and then throw the food out as a way to dispose of net polluted water.

I would prefer they do not make sand infinite otherwise you just spam polluted O2 and water removal.

I do want more means of consuming polluted water so I can choose how to close the mass balance.

2 hours ago, chemie said:

Now, with peppers to REQUIRE phosphorite

Peppers don't require phosphorite. Not in current public release at least. They will drop that ugly "fertilizer not available" icon but they will happily continue growing and producing harvests.

4 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Peppers don't require phosphorite. Not in current public release at least. They will drop that ugly "fertilizer not available" icon but they will happily continue growing and producing harvests.

But in the future they will require phosphorite, which I believe was stated in the last twitch-cast thing.  However, if we're playing the future game, then in the future there will be more ways to turn things into steam without exploits, which will be a great way for Chemie to deal with the polluted water.  So, problem solved.

Ah, okay. Yes, if the farming will stay the way it is in the closed testing right now, peppers will not be infinitely sustainable. There will be mushrooms that require slime as fertilizer and polluted water is the only sustainable source of it, utilizing polluted oxygen release and pufts. Plus fertilizer makers are still part of the game so it's not like there's no way to get rid of polluted water.

But it's also very uncertain that things will stay the way they are right now. In fact, everything is still changing rapidly and it's hard to tell where it will be when the update comes out.

I really hope they will get rid of most of the finite sources of stuff requirements for end game things like peppers. Sure, some things should be in a finite supply but they shouldn't be absolute requirements for things, just for top efficiency things. ( air deoderisers for instance being the most effective way of getting rid of pO2, but not the only one. )

Being unable to run a pepper farm would really suck, so I hope there will be a way to generate phosporite, or don't make it an absolute requirement to grow peppers.

2 hours ago, suicide commando said:

Being unable to run a pepper farm would really suck, so I hope there will be a way to generate phosporite, or don't make it an absolute requirement to grow peppers.

I also hope these things will be completely sustainable eventually but honestly, my ten duplicant colony at cycle 1500 is nowhere near running out of phosphorite while it produces more peppers than what's needed to feed the whole colony with stuffed berries. So I don't consider it a practical limit for now.

On 7/24/2017 at 1:16 AM, chemie said:

I stay away from any dripping water designs as I do not want to exploit known bugs

You aren't breathing polluted oxygen that is never consumed? (bug) :)

BTW, making your dupes cry... might as well name your colony Hell :D

What do you call that room? The Crymatorium? :D

5 hours ago, w0lfshad3 said:

Yes, a lot of players try to avoid having their dupes breathe polluted oxygen. :)  Anything to add more challenge to an easy game.

13 hours ago, w0lfshad3 said:

Ohh good one! I'm going to keep that name. So in the next patch, we'll have vomitoriums and cymatoriums, I like it :)

Oh, and no, my colony is not hell, that's my dupes vacation resort. If they ever got vacation anyway.

23 hours ago, w0lfshad3 said:

Sorry.  I do not do any of these.  I hate polluted O2 (kind of OCD) so I try to remove completely from everywhere.  I can't "stop" from from breathing it, but it not intentionally used as O2 source.

Your last two must be from someone else post as I have never mentioned these

1 hour ago, chemie said:

Sorry.  I do not do any of these.  I hate polluted O2 (kind of OCD) so I try to remove completely from everywhere.  I can't "stop" from from breathing it, but it not intentionally used as O2 source.

Your last two must be from someone else post as I have never mentioned these

I'm not OCD, i just thought eventually it would have a big consequence later in the game so I get rid of it early game and deal with it as i encounter it.

But i don't like Po2 Either

6 hours ago, suicide commando said:

I just wish there were better ways to get rid of pO2 than just deoderisers.
A bubbler can clean it, but they don't have much of a throughput, especially not when you're facing huge rooms of 60kg pO2 tiles locked away in further pockets.

Puffs are surprisingly effective but I tend to drown or overheat them or just have them disappear on a reload so not reliable.

Deoderizers are not a solution as they will consume all your sand easily.

Is the whole 300 kg PO2 pressure thing a bug or working as intended?  It makes breaking into those areas of the slime biome and hard thing if you do not have a lot of preplanning done first.

50 minutes ago, chemie said:

Is the whole 300 kg PO2 pressure thing a bug or working as intended?  It makes breaking into those areas of the slime biome and hard thing if you do not have a lot of preplanning done first.

Every simulator tick there is a 0.1% chance for 0.1% of a polluted water tile to turn into polluted oxygen in the presence of breathable gas.
This has no pressure checks.

41 minutes ago, Risu said:

Every simulator tick there is a 0.1% chance for 0.1% of a polluted water tile to turn into polluted oxygen in the presence of breathable gas.
This has no pressure checks.

Has it been fixed in the closed testing build?

no planning needed, just put 3 or more airlocks near eachother and by the time the 3rd opens the 1st is already closed behind you, then any closing airlock destroys the air. That's how I enter chlorine rooms w/o worries, though it also destroys the air from where I'm coming from. Water doors work better but that means you diggers get wet (+20% stress)

Archived