[Game Update] - (BETA) 211528

• Developer
  • Ancient Fuelweaver will now drop a new Bone Armor.
  • Poisoned Canaries will no longer trigger Bird Traps and become invisible.
  • Spore Clouds will no longer make pets go hungry.
  • Blueprints can now be learnt while mounted.
  • Fixed animation bug when using up a Staff while mounted.
  • Fixed crash sometimes when a Player disconnects during Hound attacks.
  • Fixed bug causing Torch skins to display incorrectly.

View full update

• Like 28

9 minutes ago, V2C said:
  • Ancient Fuelweaver will now drop a new Bone Armor.

View full update

Will this be yet another piece of equipment that degrades at an absurd rate despite the fact that it is supposed to be a rare, high end piece of gear. It is logical to have things ephemeral in a survival game since it always keeps you gathering more resources, but the point of a reward is for it to feel rewarding. Having equipment break so quickly, is not rewarding.

And high end gear needs to be even more intricate, because its benefits need to take into account that the player has already done a lot in the game. Giving a player super powerful armor for killing a super powerful boss, only helps them fight more bosses. Not actually play or enjoy the main game in a different manner.

It remains to be seen of course with this new armor but, at this point it is a statistical commonality. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Curator said:

Will this be yet another piece of equipment that degrades at an absurd rate despite the fact that it is supposed to be a rare, high end piece of gear. It is logical to have things ephemeral in a survival game since it always keeps you gathering more resources, but the point of a reward is for it to feel rewarding. Having equipment break so quickly, is not rewarding.

And high end gear needs to be even more intricate, because its benefits need to take into account that the player has already done a lot in the game. Giving a player super powerful armor for killing a super powerful boss, only helps them fight more bosses. Not actually play or enjoy the main game in a different manner.

It remains to be seen of course with this new armor but, at this point it is a statistical commonality. 

You're quite the ray of sunshine, aren't you?

I have faith the armor will be worth it. You gotta kill a near-end game boss for it anyway.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Rily said:

and that armor spawns some kind of shadow shield?, the files says something like that

Sounds like they just copied the gimmick of the Thulecite Crown, which arguably is a handicap seeing as it drains sanity. Which is a potentially huge problem in combat since shadows will just become the third wheel.

How about a bone staff which lets you resurrect skeletons as minions. Would be a great method to segway into adding Wilton into the game, who could reanimate skeletons as minions normally. Fun minions though, not like Abigail the combat babysitter and Spiders for Spider War fodder.

Or the staff could spawn in existing shadow creatures as minions.

Basically, anything other then combat equipment which provides nothing but more combat efficiency.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

I have faith the armor will be worth it. You gotta kill a near-end game boss for it anyway.

You've gotta kill an end-game boss to get a Houndius too, but it's near-worthless except for very specific farm designs. Klei's never been the best at balancing things.

Edited by JellyUltra
  • Like 5

Just now, AniMike said:

@The Curator you cant go wrong with more weapons no?

The faces of my enemies must be smashed in with new weapon!

Things that screw with the game are a good reward for end content.

Ones that turn enemies into temporary allies.

Spawn minions.

Make you temporarily invisible.

Generate turrets.

Ranged weapons that do not suck.

If you have already beaten some of the strongest things in the game to acquire an item, the last thing that item should be focused on is making you more generically powerful. That accomplishes nothing but making the player more immersion-breakingly-overpowered.

As if Wolfgang, Maxwell, Wigfrid, WX78 and Wickerbottom are not already.

• Like 1

The new armor gives you the shadow sheild effect when hit once(blocks 100% of the damage, but it still hurts durability), after the effect there will be a cooldown before it will block another attack. 

Whether or not its worth beating the Weaver for, dunno. It might be great for Maxwell users though.

Heres a pic of what it looks like:

Spoiler

bd271afbb0.png

Edited by DarkKingBoo
added pic
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Sounds like they just copied the gimmick of the Thulecite Crown, which arguably is a handicap seeing as it drains sanity. Which is a potentially huge problem in combat since shadows will just become the third wheel.

Eh, the Thulecite Crown I would argue is actually a great piece of armor. It's saved me from getting killed multiple times due to the fact it negates stunlock and has gotten me out of some rather terrifying situations. The sanity drain is negligible and easily dealt with similar to Night Armor. Besides, sanity isn't all that important, if you don't want shadows trying to kill you chuck a few cooked green caps in your mouth.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DarkKingBoo said:

Whether or not its worth beating the Weaver for, dunno.

The armour can:

Spoiler

Be refueled with nightmare fuel to increase durability by 25%.

It has 16 hits and then it's at 0% durability- damage taken does not matter.

Does not break at 0%.

Makes you take 0% damage for 10 FRAMES every 5 seconds.

Takes 1 second to allow the shield to be activated when equipping or putting fuel in from 0% durability.

Only works against things that hit with or has the tag "_combat" -> Not Charlie/Grue damage!

I'd say it's the best chest armour in the game.

Edited by CarlZalph
Added some info
  • Like 30

15 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

The armour can:

Hide contents

Be refueled with nightmare fuel to increase durability by 25%.

Does not break at 0%.

Makes you take 0% damage for 10 FRAMES every 5 seconds.

Takes 1 second to allow the shield to be activated when equipping or putting fuel in from 0% durability.

I'd say it's the best chest armour in the game.

Oh people of little faith, remember to thank Klei for these interesting things.

Though now I'm curious to see how things go as well. Also, nice new details in the fight, especially when it comes to camera locking for key moments.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:
  Reveal hidden contents

16 hits regardless of damage.

Also edited the other post to include this.

This means it is only meant for boss fights, it would be a waste if you use it on bees or pigs etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spaartan said:

This means it is only meant for boss fights, it would be a waste if you use it on bees or pigs etc.

Well, it can be repaired with Nightmare Fuel, which you get a TON of from the Fuelweaver fight anyways.  Plus NF is pretty easy to get once you have your sanity under control, so I think it's decently balanced.

• Like 2