The most morbid O2 generator yet (cycle 874 update)

I went Cycle 700+ with using the Contamined Oxygen, it's just an exploit bug since the diseases are not totaly implemented.

Try to create and survive a base with pure Oxygen, it will be more challenging and help you for the future to survive.

However, you can purify contamined oxygen by cooling it at extreme temperature, see the chinese video.

The Smelly Cats are still going strong at cycle 585.

Mealwoods are now walled in so they're unaffected by air pressure and temperature changes forever. 

Dirt is still the only non-renewable resource the colony uses and as each dupe uses 6.666... kg of dirt per cycle the 156 tons I currently have will run out in 5850 cycles so plenty of time. However, I've done some experimenting with a battery distiller which works fine and I can get about 5g/s per battery, so it would be quite straight forward to set up a system that would replace outhouses with lavatories and have a completely renewable system. Yes, I know that I can just run a lavatory in a cycle to feed itself but that will be fixed at some point so it's not a reliable method.

I have more ambitious plans though and soon the colony should run a completely renewable pure air system with a magma chamber distiller set up and cold rock air con system that can run forever on power from a single hamster wheel. My dupes could use the workout for sure, they're getting fat and lazy.

2017-03-04.png

11 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I have more ambitious plans though and soon the colony should run a completely renewable pure air system with a magma chamber distiller set up and cold rock air con system that can run forever on power from a single hamster wheel.

Interested in this, is it puft related?

21 minutes ago, doot_toot said:

Interested in this, is it puft related?

It isn't as pufts aren't scalable you'd always be limited by the number there is on the map already, and since they tend to die pretty easily they're not reliable either.

However, I have found a very good use for them. A few pathes ago they stopped producing oxygen, so they just suck up contaminated oxygen and turn it into slime. They are just extremely good at sucking up contaminated oxygen, so good in fact that you can herd them into a room with only contaminated oxygen, and they'll make a complete vacuum in no time if you just sweep up their poop.

Btw. Forgot to mention that my dupes are complete primadonnas and level 32 minimum, and yet stress is still a non-issue as it idles down to between 0% and 9% when they're not told to do stuff outside the base. Then it only takes a few cycles for them to hit 100% but the way the base is set up it can easily handle that, so it's not a problem. After a job is done I just give them each a turn on the massage table, and they're fine again. So even though the decor seems excessive it is doing it's job.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Yes, I know that I can just run a lavatory in a cycle to feed itself but that will be fixed at some point so it's not a reliable method.

By that logic, it's not reliable to have your base full of contaminated oxygen either. As soon as an update makes it so the toxicity works, your guys are dead. :)

2 minutes ago, Targa_X said:

By that logic, it's not reliable to have your base full of contaminated oxygen either. As soon as an update makes it so the toxicity works, your guys are dead. :)

LOL. Nope. Contaminated air is specifically classified as breathable. That will not change in any update.

And maybe you didn't bother to read the post in full as I specifically wrote that before too long, it would have completely pure and renewable O2. 

Too early in the morning for me to be thinking things through thoroughly, lol. Yes, I did read where you said you'd have clean oxygen soon, yet my brain conveniently forgot that when I was in-game and had the thought to come here and make that reply. Just as my brain conveniently forgot that contaminated oxygen doesn't kill dupes, it just has a chance to make them sick. Time for a second cup of coffee... :D

Edit: Love the trick with the plants. I saw where you mentioned that in another thread and immediately redesigned my base. That, I feel, is one thing the devs are sure to change once they realize that the change they made so plants don't use gasses made it possible to make an invulnerable farm.

The thing about the current setup that you used is that it relies on contaminated oxygen early on. Even if you managed to make it into a pure oxygen base, the method to arrive to the pure oxygen base used the contaminated oxygen in the first place. So if they updated it to make the contaminated air and sicknesses actually have real drawbacks, then this method of contaminated oxygen would be screwed.

But we will have to see how they decide to fix the contaminated air exploit, so making any decisions on that at this moment is near-impossible as we are not the devs. They very well might keep the exploit in the game, or just have it be unbreathable. But I doubt they'd go that far as it is only contaminated oxygen; so still oxygen, just filled with funk.

Personally, until they fix the exploit, I can only see it as an exploit for the very reasons that you have mentioned. Unless they say it is something that is fine. Although it is a good way to learn some of the other stuff in the game to find bugs and such without going into debug mode, as well as finding strategies for surviving when/if they fix the contaminated air exploit. But they need to fix/add a lot of other stuff before they actually change that. So it'll be a while. lol

The other good thing about this is it allows people to find other exploits for the future. Can't say it's a proud tactic, but it works and helps.

Well, the Smelly Cats has finally entered the age of steam on cycle 874.

No significant changes at the base yet but I have moved to morbs downstairs to the piping and utilities basement in preparation for setting up the lavatory. Although, outhouses would actually last indefinitely now as dirt is a by-product the distillation process so I might actually dedice to keep it. Depends on how much water I need. For just O2 I need about 112g/s per dupe.

The current passive low pressure distiller design which is still a work in progress can deliver 666g/s when the waste water going into the system is preheated via battery stack, coal generator and hydrogen generator to about 65C before being pumped into the distiller. All the bottom tiles, vents and piping is made from super hot igneous rock and iron ore and is between 600C and 800C whereas the other materials are maximum 40C. There's run off vents with valves that recirculate a tiny amount of the condensed water at various points in the distiller to help decrease temperatures gradually.

I did a load of experimenting to get the most efficient set ups for the distiller but it's not quite there yet so I'll tinker with it a little. My main issue right now is that at this many cycles the game is really laggy and wonky. Sometimes heat transfer just runs rampant for no apparent reason making my base a virtual toaster oven going from the regular 24-25C to 40C then 60C within a matter of a few cycles. So lots of saves and reloading has to be done.

2017-03-06.png

2017-03-06 (1).png

On 28.2.2017 at 5:14 PM, Saturnus said:

CO2 is destroyed by the 2 manual airlock in front of the right side outhouse where it naturally drift to.

how does that work? i dont get it o0
so u can destroy CO2 with doors?

and what about those distillers? u can run the lavatory with contaminated water?

2 minutes ago, MicroJackson said:

how does that work? i dont get it o0
so u can destroy CO2 with doors?

and what about those distillers? u can run the lavatory with contaminated water?

Look closely (at normal speed) when an airlock closes. You'll note that the air in it gets destoryed and replaced by a vacuum. So yes, you can make a vacuum just installing a load of doors in a room and have a dupe run back and forth a few hundred times.

However, there's is the added trick here that morbs feed on any gas that isn't contaminated O2 and converts it into contaminated O2. So it's both the morbs and the airlock. After I moved the morbs to the basement, I got rid of the airlock as it's not needed anymore.

I know I can run a lavatory on contaminated water. Even if it's fed to itself in a loop. I just don't think there's any reason to build it because I strongly suspect that will be patched soon.

The main purpose of the distillers was to make enough water for the base to have a pure O2 atmosphere instead of contaminated O2. If it can be effective enough to run lavatories as well, great. If not, ah well, outhouses have worked up till now, so they can stay in that case.

Never the less, I have already achieved 100% sustainability! Since the distiller actually produce dirt as a by product of the distillation process I produce more dirt than I use in the outhouses so really, the goal has already been reached. I could in principle let the game run in the background for years without any sort of maintenance if it wasn't for the wonky heat transfer that runs riot from time to time. 

1- You are a freaking GENIUS for thinking this up, it took me 30 cycles to think of a basic algae farm using the living beings of the asteroid

2- How many hours have you got on that colony? (pretty sure you know it already, but you can see the number of hours if you hover your mouse over the cycles counter.)

Actually, I didn't know that. Well, it's :drumroll: 59.78 hours at the 910th cycle (yeah, I have no life it appears). But it's becoming a little tiresome to run in the background now as there seem to be long term bugs in the heat transfer physics that gets worse and worse the more cycles you have. I've mentioned it already but I have to reload every 20-30 cycles now or my base (in fact the whole map) quickly, for no reason, becomes a raging furnace, and even walled in plants and other things, like something encased in abyssalite with 3 layers of insulating tiles at the only entrance, suddenly heats up very rapidly.

I think this is as far as I'll take it for the time being to be honest as there really doesn't seem to be much point in just raking up the cycles. If the games mechanics was stable it could go on forever with absolutely no maintenance. You don't have to manage anything. No switches to control, no harvests to direct, nothing. It's all tuned in and just runs automatically.

I'll probably take it to the 1000th cycle, and then put the project to rest to rest until there's a significant update from Klei with new material or reworked game mechanics and physics that actually works for long term play. 

The next big update is fairly soon according to their recent stream. It deals heavily with temperatures, so your design may be able to get the whole temp-bugginess out of the way. I believe they said something along the lines of the 22nd for the full push to everyone with that new update.

Hopefully you can test out your design then and see how it fares with the temperature changes. Though. You may need to restart the whole base in that case since using the same save could have some issues.

On 3/6/2017 at 7:17 PM, Saturnus said:

But it's becoming a little tiresome to run in the background now as there seem to be long term bugs in the heat transfer physics that gets worse and worse the more cycles you have. I've mentioned it already but I have to reload every 20-30 cycles now or my base (in fact the whole map) quickly, for no reason, becomes a raging furnace, and even walled in plants and other things, like something encased in abyssalite with 3 layers of insulating tiles at the only entrance, suddenly heats up very rapidly.

Fairly certain that your heat fluctuations are more an indicator of the devil approaching to either claim your soul, or congratulate you. He draws near.

Now eventually all the magma will be gone from the map, I am seeing a lot of my magma turn into igneous rock after letting about 300 cycles of turning P-H2O into steam.  I guess since the next update gives us a better way to heat water it might not matter, but got me to thinking what happens when the magma is all gone.

17 minutes ago, Lothalin said:

Now eventually all the magma will be gone from the map, I am seeing a lot of my magma turn into igneous rock after letting about 300 cycles of turning P-H2O into steam.  I guess since the next update gives us a better way to heat water it might not matter, but got me to thinking what happens when the magma is all gone.

You'll note that I actually did not use any magma at all. I used superheated igneous rock right next to the magma. Built a storage container from that. Placed all the hot materials I needed in that, and only used those materials to build everything that was supposed to be hot from that. Tiles don't change temperature, only natural materials do.

Of course, all this will likely change with the next update, and I can't wait to play around with it, and see what bugs and exploits we can find in that :D 

On 28.02.2017 at 4:37 AM, Saturnus said:

There are drawbacks. And plenty off them. They get sick constantly, and while it may not kill them outright it does lower their skills, or have other adverse effects. In "clean house" builds I've pretty much done exclusively until I found the perfect combination of evil intend, the dupes are way more efficient as they aren't nearly as stressed out, don't get winded all the time, and mostly don't vomit or sh*t themselves because they've gotten some diseases.

Some part of me is thinking the dupes in the shallow graves got the best bargain in this build. :D

Hahahaha, evil intend. I like this, And some monsters with will came at the night where voice-over will say - "now is a true test, think fast or expire." hehehe.

There are a few things with the heat system that I just don't get, maybe you can help.

1. I noticed materials can have heat as they lay on the ground - learned it the hard way, deconstructing my research stations and some coal gens to end up with 300-800 Celsius iron ores on the ground cooking my base... BUT
    1. What happens when they are stored?
    2. How do you get them to build specifically from the hot/cold mats of your choice?
  2. Building from hot/cold mates, how long those tiles keep their temperature? Can I just build some cold tiles into my base and have tehm cool it?

I want to do a liquid oxygen cleaning setup but if I jsut run pipes into a cold area and then back, wont the heat transfer heat the cold area up after a while?

On 3/6/2017 at 9:51 AM, Saturnus said:

Well, the Smelly Cats has finally entered the age of steam on cycle 874.

***Edited out, because i'm focusing on the pictures***

2017-03-06.png

2017-03-06 (1).png

So how do i join this church of Morb? It looks like a shrine or church to me lol.

Archived