The most morbid O2 generator yet (cycle 874 update)

@Saturnus How will the coming update affect your base? Aside from unforseen events such as base superheating (as you described to happen randomly with high cycle counts). For example, mealworms are no longer infinitely sustainable due to them not giving seeds on their third harvest. The alternative, however, requires high amounts of fertilizer to grow and maintaining a low temperature...

16 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I have an idea. And it's far more cruel and evil than this build.

Share with me your ideas, for thus far from reading other's posts the outlook is quite grim. I'd love to play again, but I would like to know how to deal with food (more specifically: fertilizer) shortage first.

Can fertilizer be made out of contaminated dirt? If yes, build a vomit cage.
Can heat last indefinitely with the heat update? If yes, build a boiler.
Boil the contaminated water the vomit cage produces, harvest the contaminated dirt and turn it into fertiziler...
But would that be enough?

7 minutes ago, draoncc said:

Share with me your ideas, for thus far from reading other's posts the outlook is quite grim. I'd love to play again, but I would like to know how to deal with food (more specifically: fertilizer) shortage first.

Can fertilizer be made out of contaminated dirt? If yes, build a vomit cage.
Can heat last indefinitely with the heat update? If yes, build a boiler.
Boil the contaminated water the vomit cage produces, harvest the contaminated dirt and turn it into fertiziler...
But would that be enough?

He's obviusliy talking about using morbs as a foodsource and dupes as a morbsource. U take in every single dupe but most will just go to the slaugterhouse to spwan more food (morbs).

8 minutes ago, Fatmice said:

You can not boil water using building heat anymore.  Nothing goes above 85 C and everything breaks at 75C except for the compost bin.

The primary concern is fertilizer for Bristle Blossoms. As it is the only sustainable food source, and it requires a metric ton (not literally) of fertilizer that is going to be the hardest thing. But I might have a solution. But it's going to take the mass slaughter and exploitation of dupes to achieve.

5 minutes ago, Keylan said:

He's obviusliy talking about using morbs as a foodsource and dupes as a morbsource. 

Sadly, Morbs don't produce meat (anymore, pretty sure they did in an earlier build. That would just be too easy :D

Nah, my idea far more cruel than that.

What? Morbs -> dirty air -> Pufts -> slime -> algae + dirty water ?

If I'm not mistaken, the biodistiller said 3000 slime mg/s (before this patch wasn't it 300g/s?) -> 100g/s algae + 100g/s dirty water.

80Kg/cycle of fertilizer = 133.3 g/s * 60 => 8000 g/s of dirty water => 240g/s of slime.

You can get there but I haven't done the math on the energy needed.

8 minutes ago, Fatmice said:

What? Morbs -> dirty air -> Pufts -> slime -> algae + dirty water ?

If I'm not mistaken, the biodistiller said 3000 slime mg/s (before this patch wasn't it 300g/s?) -> 100g/s algae + 100g/s dirty water.

80Kg/cycle of fertilizer = 133.3 g/s * 60 => 8000 g/s of dirty water => 240g/s of slime.

You can get there but I haven't done the math on the energy needed.

Slime is not sustainable. Eventually the Pufts die and you've mined up the entire map.

Contaminated oxygen from morbs is a constant 24.6C. At least if the morbs have spawned from dupes.

I've never seen a Puft survive in the wild or captivity beyond cycle 500ish. And in this version it'll probably go even faster with the temperatures being even more fluctuating.

Don't you also need about 80 Pufts to make enough slime to achieve sustainability for 1 dupe? Or maybe 8 now. Still, not realistic in the long run I fear. 

Archived