Crappy DS/DST Ideas Thread

Oh, I'm sure he's not shocked.  EVERY weird pairing in anything that can or can't possibly be has been done at some point, and this isn't even one of the weirdest ones.  Heh.

Actual like, gameplay bad ideas for Don't Starve...do you mean, like, actually thinking and trying to do well and it turned out to be a bad idea because of lack of knowledge about some esoteric part of the game...or just the basic "Hey, what's this shiny thing over here?  I'm'a hit it even though it's Day 1 and I have absolutely no weapons or armour!  DO DEE DO!"  'Cos I've seen a lot of the latter...even among experienced Let's Players (in general) who really should know better.  : P

...Notorious

Crappy idea:

For the first time I've been making a lot of dragon pie farms. Passed some time I realized some of them stopped working, so I thought it would be some kind of glitch because they were too close to each other or whatever. I decided to destroy these farms (improved farms) with a hammer and craft a new one every time. By now I destroyed like ten of them, and I just checked for info about this thing. Comes up I only needed to fertilize the farm instead. Derp derp.

Just now, 50shades-of-blue said:

yeah just don't be throwing your mandrakes into it or i'm kicking you from the server

I don't usually seek out mandrakes anyway, so you're good there.

Also unless I was planning on staying long, I would be Wigfrid, who can't even eat mandrakes. So there's double insurance.

Hmm seems like there aren't a lot of crappy ideas on this thread?

- Pick Webber, setup camp in Pig Village
- Build a base near meteors
- Open the sinkholes near base (can be a good or bad idea, depending on your tolerance for spawn-deaths)
- Attack fire hounds near your grass/twig farms
- Teamwork: leave Wigfrid in base to manage the farms and ask Wickerbottom to hunt for meat

Crappy Features Suggestion:
- Allow server rollback all the way back to Day 1
- Add server rollback to 15 secs ago but keep the voting timer longer than that
- Make icebox carry charges when struck with lightning and deal damage every time you open a charged fridge
- Add Global Warming mechanic where very old servers get unpredictable seasons (alternating scorching and freezing during "Winter", Spring being too hot, Autumn too rainy, etc)
- Add a new winter mob: Count Olaf, snowman spawns wearing a random mix of skins and murders any mobs allied to you (pigs, Chester, Glommer). You can only beat him if you wear the same set of skins.

3 minutes ago, applebottom said:

- Open the sinkholes near base (can be a good or bad idea, depending on your tolerance for spawn-deaths)
- Teamwork: leave Wigfrid in base to manage the farms and ask Wickerbottom to hunt for meat

Crappy Features Suggestion:
- Allow server rollback all the way back to Day 1
- Add server rollback to 15 secs ago but keep the voting timer longer than that
- Make icebox carry charges when struck with lightning and deal damage every time you open a charged fridge
- Add Global Warming mechanic where very old servers get unpredictable seasons (alternating scorching and freezing during "Winter", Spring being too hot, Autumn too rainy, etc)
- Add a new winter mob: Count Olaf, snowman spawns wearing a random mix of skins and murders any mobs allied to you (pigs, Chester, Glommer). You can only beat him if you wear the same set of skins.

Now THESE are some sh*tty ideas if you ask me

1 hour ago, applebottom said:

--Know people who've done this one.

--And that...

--_I_ never do, but other people are always opening up sinkholes way too close to camp.  "Don't DO that, we'll be bugged by stupid god-damn bats _every single night_!"  "Yeah, but free meat!"  "Yeah, but it's my server and _I_ don't want to be annoyed every.  single.  night.  Just open one a bit further away, geez!"

I seriously hate anything that gives you constant/chronic annoyance.  UGH.  Hounds already attack every few days or so when the server gets old; let's leave it at that, mmmkay?

And SPEAKING of hounds...

--I've done that last one myself.  Usually by accident--I thought the flammable stuff was far enough away not to be affected.  NOPE.  Also, try being used to vanilla Don't Starve for a few months and _then_ transitioning to Reign of Giants.  A HA HA HA HA HA yeah.  : P

Classic bad ideas I keep seeing in Let's Plays all the time...

Hey, a big egg!  I'm'a take it!

Hey, there's a big rhino thing!  Neat!  (goes right up to it)

Hey, that looks like a butthole on the ground.  I'm'a jump into it!  (does so many times)  Why is my brain getting smaller...?  Am I getting dumber? (dies of shadow creature)

(reads the grass/logsuit description in the crafting tab) "Protection?  Protection from what?"

(walks calmly up to Dragonfly, thinking it's like, the Pig King of the desert) "Hello, good creature!  We come to trade with you!"*

Okay, so some of these are also Famous Last Words.  There's a LOT of overlap in that particular Venn diagram...  ;)

...Notorious

*Markiplier actually did this at one point in his and Bob's playthrough, and I just FELL ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING (while facepalming).  And the insanity-death from "jumping in the butthole" was Pewdiepie.  : P

11 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

--Know people who've done this one.

--And that...

--_I_ never do, but other people are always opening up sinkholes way too close to camp.  "Don't DO that, we'll be bugged by stupid god-damn bats _every single night_!"  "Yeah, but free meat!"  "Yeah, but it's my server and _I_ don't want to be annoyed every.  single.  night.  Just open one a bit further away, geez!"

I seriously hate anything that gives you constant/chronic annoyance.  UGH.  Hounds already attack every few days or so when the server gets old; let's leave it at that, mmmkay?

And SPEAKING of hounds...

--I've done that last one myself.  Usually by accident--I thought the flammable stuff was far enough away not to be affected.  NOPE.  Also, try being used to vanilla Don't Starve for a few months and _then_ transitioning to Reign of Giants.  A HA HA HA HA HA yeah.  : P

Classic bad ideas I keep seeing in Let's Plays all the time...

Hey, a big egg!  I'm'a take it!

Hey, there's a big rhino thing!  Neat!  (goes right up to it)

Hey, that looks like a butthole on the ground.  I'm'a jump into it!  (does so many times)  Why is my brain getting smaller...?  Am I getting dumber? (dies of shadow creature)

(reads the grass/logsuit description in the crafting tab) "Protection?  Protection from what?"

(walks calmly up to Dragonfly, thinking it's like, the Pig King of the desert) "Hello, good creature!  We come to trade with you!"*

Okay, so some of these are also Famous Last Words.  There's a LOT of overlap in that particular Venn diagram...  ;)

...Notorious

*Markiplier actually did this at one point in his and Bob's playthrough, and I just FELL ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING (while facepalming).  And the insanity-death from "jumping in the butthole" was Pewdiepie.  : P

All of this tho it feels so tru n i hate having to hold people's hands in servers

also f**k pewdiepie

Oh, I don't hate him.  He's not my fave, but, eh.  The Don't Starve session was from years ago, too...I can't remember now how I found it, but it was like an old livestream recording or something, and sanity had just BARELY been added to the game--so it was from around then.  He honestly didn't even _know_ that sanity was a thing or that shadow creatures could happen, so...he thought he'd died from NOTHING!  It took the audience in the chat to tell him what the hell happened.

But I get the feeling that, a lot of the time, some of these people...aren't actually normally THAT dumb, but they're doing whatever the flashiest, silliest thing is that would get the most attention from viewers.  In other words, with an audience they're playing For the Lulz, and without one, they'd be more serious and like, actually try to live, 'n' stuff.  Some maybe are that naive, but when it comes down to, like, Sips's partner who died FOUR TIMES IN ONE DAY, ya gotta wonder...

(Sometimes to the point of extreme aggravation--there was this one playthrough with these two British guys, I can't remember their names, where one of them started being "dumb" to the point of OBVIOUS trolling, and giggling like a little brat schoolboy.  The other player was an old friend and only finally started sounding irritated that they could never make _any progress at all_ by like, part THIRTEEN!  Me...?  I would've given that guy a keyboard sandwich or at least shut down the server YEARS ago.  No. Just, no.  I do not put up with bullcrap.  The instant I find out you're doing it on purpose, you can STAY dead!  I ain't ressin' your arse anymore.  I don't CARE how much sanity I lose; I ain't rewarding that behaviour.)

ANYway, all this is to say:  Sometimes, when they're doing it for YouTube or a stream, people aren't THAT dumb.  They're trying to be "funny". But sometimes it's hard to tell.  : P  I think most _first_ times somebody grabs a tallbird egg or messes with a clockwork, for example, they genuinely don't know...

...Notorious

31 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Oh, I don't hate him.  He's not my fave, but, eh.  The Don't Starve session was from years ago, too...I can't remember now how I found it, but it was like an old livestream recording or something, and sanity had just BARELY been added to the game--so it was from around then.  He honestly didn't even _know_ that sanity was a thing or that shadow creatures could happen, so...he thought he'd died from NOTHING!  It took the audience in the chat to tell him what the hell happened.

But I get the feeling that, a lot of the time, some of these people...aren't actually normally THAT dumb, but they're doing whatever the flashiest, silliest thing is that would get the most attention from viewers.  In other words, with an audience they're playing For the Lulz, and without one, they'd be more serious and like, actually try to live, 'n' stuff.  Some maybe are that naive, but when it comes down to, like, Sips's partner who died FOUR TIMES IN ONE DAY, ya gotta wonder...

(Sometimes to the point of extreme aggravation--there was this one playthrough with these two British guys, I can't remember their names, where one of them started being "dumb" to the point of OBVIOUS trolling, and giggling like a little brat schoolboy.  The other player was an old friend and only finally started sounding irritated that they could never make _any progress at all_ by like, part THIRTEEN!  Me...?  I would've given that guy a keyboard sandwich or at least shut down the server YEARS ago.  No. Just, no.  I do not put up with bullcrap.  The instant I find out you're doing it on purpose, you can STAY dead!  I ain't ressin' your arse anymore.  I don't CARE how much sanity I lose; I ain't rewarding that behaviour.)

ANYway, all this is to say:  Sometimes, when they're doing it for YouTube or a stream, people aren't THAT dumb.  They're trying to be "funny". But sometimes it's hard to tell.  : P  I think most _first_ times somebody grabs a tallbird egg or messes with a clockwork, for example, they genuinely don't know...

...Notorious

nah man i hate pewdiepie for a different reason

but yes some things can rlly piss me off because i've gotten so much better at the game and purposeful sabotage is a thing i will ban your ass for

I try not to take the game seriously as long as you do it to your self thats fine if I take the game to seriously I wouldn't have fun anymore or think of things to do.

back to bad ideas

let maxwell be the reviver of the group

send Wes to clear out a royal spider set piece( I actually did this it was fun but the queen showed up and i called for help)
Don't build flingo's in summer ( I play like a nomad sort of so Idc about flingo's most of the time
eat meat raw

Crappy ideas

- building a tent with Wickerbottom (huge waste of grass, sticks, and especially silk)

- trying to tank a tentacle 

- trying to mine a rock lobster 

- trying to befriend a pig as webber

- cooking monster meat, and eating it.  Then trying to put more than one monster meat in the crockpot

58 minutes ago, LuxuryHeart said:

- cooking monster meat, and eating it

Well, if you have nothing better to eat, and you're starving, then why not, it is certainly better than death, especially as Webber

58 minutes ago, LuxuryHeart said:

- Then trying to put more than one monster meat in the crockpot

Yeah, nobody wants to eat Monster Lasagna - it is a waste of meat, and it will damage you unless you're Webber

More "good" features that should be added:

- Everything that can burn should be set on fire when anyone joins the game

- Some items should be added that have no purpose, and cannot be removed from your inventory,

- Every tree should be replaced with a Splumonkey Pod (including these on the surface)

- Eating Spicy Chili should set the player on fire instead of increasing their temperature

- Florid Postern blows up when anyone joins, dealing 1000 damage to everyone that is on the server (including the person that just joined), the explosion destroys all the rocks, and sets anything burnable on fire

4 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

eat monster meat raw

thats not necassary a bad thing wig does this fine i've done for other characters then healed myself

3 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

trying to befriend a pig as webber

only with a band but still bad

3 hours ago, NobodyCares69 said:

Then trying to put more than one monster meat in the crockpot

Fishsticks and bacon and egges work fine with two monster meat in

40 minutes ago, NobodyCares69 said:

More "good" features that should be added:

- Everything that can burn should be set on fire when anyone joins the game

- Some items should be added that have no purpose, and cannot be removed from your inventory,

- Every tree should be replaced with a Splumonkey Pod (including these on the surface)

- Eating Spicy Chili should set the player on fire instead of increasing their temperature

- Florid Postern blows up when anyone joins, dealing 1000 damage to everyone that is on the server (including the person that just joined), the explosion destroys all the rocks, and sets anything burnable on fire

Woah there, Cthulhu!

Played with a webber. Now many of us know that webbers can instigate a "moshpit" of spiders by having them attack eachother for a tonne of meat and silk but this guy uses up all my reserve grass and twigs I saved to help us survive through winter to make like 20 traps. I spent 2 straight days reading applied horticulture and harvesting those supplies and then I had none.

Archived