Should DST Bearger be like DS Bearger?

Should DST Bearger be like DS Bearger?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should DST Bearger be like DS Bearger?

• Yes. DS Bearger best Bearger (ง'̀-'́)ง
    • No. Cuz' trolls and griefers? ಠ╭╮ಠ
    • Only add the "charge attack"
    • Only the huge AoE ground pound

In case some of you don't know, what makes Bearger scary for "newbies" in Don't Starve is that it has the "charge attack" and a more destructive AoE ground pound (about the range of your screen) that make Bearger impossible to be outran, unless it's aggroed to smth else. However, if used right,  Bearger can be the best axe/miner out there, as it is capable of clearing an entire lumpy forest within minutes. But his ability has been severely nerfed in DST. Because DST Bearger doesn't have the charge into a huge AoE ground pound, it quickly loses aggro on players, which is fairly annoying when you are trying to "walk" him.

So what do you think?

latest?cb=20140614061552

Volx's vid on DS Bearger

Basically, it all comes down to LAG imo... :T if you have terrible ping, you might be experiencing a delay of 3-7 sec and when you think you've dodged that AoE because you think you've gone out of its range only to die seconds later because it says you were still in range at the time :T

#IamAnAdvocateOfPeopleForRightsAgainstLag

There seems to be a lack of an indifferent option in the poll, so I guess I'm not tossing in my vote.

Even with the smaller ground pound radius he's still rather effective at clearing an entire forest. And walking him around in DST also isn't that difficult either. Personally I don't mind one way or the other.

Just now, Sinister_Fang said:

There seems to be a lack of an indifferent option in the poll, so I guess I'm not tossing in my vote.

Even with the smaller ground pound radius he's still rather effective at clearing an entire forest. And walking him around in DST also isn't that difficult either. Personally I don't mind one way or the other.

Which reminds me... just for reference, when I hear that the Bearger's coming, I go somewhere with a lot of resources say, my favorite place, the meteor fields (good amount of trees, plenty of boulders) and let him spawn there... first half of Autumn, I go there to check on him and lead him to boulders or trees with berries or shrooms (Thank Charlie for the mushroom planter) and generally hang out from time to time with the Bearger... pick up some of its fur every now while leading it to say, Tallbirds or other mobs available in the area just to aggro him and eat away at his HP... and then I kill him... <3

32 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

Which reminds me... just for reference, when I hear that the Bearger's coming, I go somewhere with a lot of resources say, my favorite place, the meteor fields (good amount of trees, plenty of boulders) and let him spawn there... first half of Autumn, I go there to check on him and lead him to boulders or trees with berries or shrooms (Thank Charlie for the mushroom planter) and generally hang out from time to time with the Bearger... pick up some of its fur every now while leading it to say, Tallbirds or other mobs available in the area just to aggro him and eat away at his HP... and then I kill him... <3

Ya know, after reading this I realized that I really do not take advantage of bearger's destructive nature as much as I should have. I've been chopping down trees like a madman trying to build a lot of cobblestones. Usually I just take him to my tooth trap field to soften him up and finish him off myself. He might actually be more useful to me alive then dead. Next time he spawns I might take him to the other end of the world and keep him around permanently.

And that reminds me of a couple questions I have about him. Does anyone know if another bearger spawns if one already exists in the world? Also, how much food does it take to for bearger to begin hibearnating? Don't shoot me, that pun is in the game too.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Pardon my bad poll options, I'm not entire sure of how to construct a reasonable choice. :p

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Does anyone know if another bearger spawns if one already exists in the world? Also, how much food does it take to for bearger to begin hibearnating? Don't shoot me, that pun is in the game too.

I haven't tested your first question but I know that Bearger must eat 10 honey to fall asleep, as other type of food will not suffice.

well come to think of it dst bearger has a couple of things of his own specially with his glitchy ground pound that can kill a whole herd of beefalo in 1 go. and based on that his ground pound can hit you about 3 or 4 times dealing a whole helms worth of dmg.  bearger has some times where his range is alot bigger than it is generally shown which is also why you seem to get hit when you definately shouldnt have.

8 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

well come to think of it dst bearger has a couple of things of his own specially with his glitchy ground pound that can kill a whole herd of beefalo in 1 go. and based on that his ground pound can hit you about 3 or 4 times dealing a whole helms worth of dmg.

I've had this happen in single player.

Had a ~40% Football Helm and 120 HP, accidentally targeted it while it was still cautious, died. Recall hearing three damage impacts.

10 minutes ago, KoreanWaffles said:

That feeling when you get Bearger to clear out your Reed Trap Set Piece

That feeling you get when the reed field trap is cleared, and Wicker gives Maxwell several applied horticulture books. Honey poultice for everyone! (and lots of night armor for Maxwell!)

We got lucky enough to get that in our current world and I've abused it so much. Whenever I'm bored I usually head over to the swamp with a couple AH books and just gather reeds. Even if we don't really need them. It's just so fun abusing the reed field with the Maxwell/Wickerbottom synergy.

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

He might actually be more useful to me alive then dead. Next time he spawns I might take him to the other end of the world and keep him around permanently.

You can't keep him alive permanently if you are using him to chop trees. At some point there will be enough treeguards spawned and kill him.

But as I know, you get one beager every autumn. So you can actually prepare every year for his arrival. Plant enough pine cone or birchnut. I think poison birchnut die in one slam. So birchnut forest might let you farm more logs than regular forest.

Who cares about him? I use him to chop wood down and that's all. He's drop pool is terrible and I would never trade krampus sack for hibearnation vest even as wolfgang or insulated pack that is even more useless after adding wrapping bundle.

9 hours ago, HutGenerator said:

You can't keep him alive permanently if you are using him to chop trees. At some point there will be enough treeguards spawned and kill him.

I could always feed him some dragonpies, fish sticks, trail mix, blue caps and butterflies. So it could be possible to keep him around permanently, but it would be a lot of work.

20 hours ago, Zeruul said:

Because DST Bearger doesn't have the charge into a huge AoE ground pound, it quickly loses aggro on players, which is fairly annoying when you are trying to "walk" him.

This is absolutely false. I can consistently "walk" him for entire days without him losing agro. The only time it happens is when he gets attacked by something else or picks up some food I believe.

15 hours ago, HutGenerator said:

But as I know, you get one beager every autumn. So you can actually prepare every year for his arrival. Plant enough pine cone or birchnut. I think poison birchnut die in one slam. So birchnut forest might let you farm more logs than regular forest.

If u play with a group u can keeo him alive and i believe u can heal him with healing salves and what not when he is asleep

Archived