JoeW The Magical Title Fairy

AquaRC

13 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Not really if it's her first language :p

Still. It really is something to admire. There are languages which may sadly die out due to others being easier and more popular, thus more useful in the shorter run.

12 hours ago, nome said:

Nope, Taishanese. With only so many phonemes the human mouth can produce you're bound to get overlaps :)

Oh right! That could fit too! Thanks a lot for the clarification. Still damnedly impressive :).

• Developer
1 hour ago, Arlesienne said:

There are languages which may sadly die out due to others being easier and more popular, thus more useful in the shorter run

I'm making sure the kids learn it for this reason - obscure Chinese dialects like Taishanese can't be learned from a class or a book - there's not even a dictionary. The only way to learn is from native speakers. Luckily my in-laws (who are live-in babysitters with a suite downstairs) don't speak English so the kids can either learn Taishanese or never be able to communicate their wants. :)

12 hours ago, nome said:

The only way to learn is from native speakers. Luckily my in-laws (who are live-in babysitters with a suite downstairs) don't speak English so the kids can either learn Taishanese or never be able to communicate their wants. :)

Kids: Gramma, I want a new toy for Christmas

Gramma: ??? *smiles obliviously*

Kids: ... :T *goes and learns Taishanese*

Kids:  *In Taishanese* Gramma can you get us this toy?

Gramma: *In Taishanese* Nope lolololololol

Archived