Wolfgang Should Not Stop To Announce Mightiness/Wimpiness

A discussion in a thread comparing Wigfrid to Wolfgang reminded me of one of Wolfgang's most notable disadventages, and that is having to stop entirely when you change from wimpy to normal, normal to mighty, normal to wimpy.

This usually doesn't matter but when it does it always screws you over and is unfair since you cant do anything because of the animation.

Now, my suggestion is to make them be just quotes/work like quotes. So if you stand still animation happens, but if you move they get cancelled out and all you see is the text.

Well, actually, while he is saying it, he's invincible. Sure, he's royally ****ed if something attacks straight after his forms change, but you know. 

… In other words, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Sure, you have to stop for a minute, but it should be alright most of the time. 

And it's always the changing _down_ a step that's the problem.  After all, when he goes from wimpy to normal or normal to mighty, it's because _you just fed him_, on purpose, so you know what's going to happen. The other way around, however, often happens when you're in the middle of something else--and even when it's not lethal, it's bloody annoying.

I TOTALLY vote for it working the way said in the above post.

...Notorious

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

This usually doesn't matter but when it does it always screws you over and is unfair since you cant do anything because of the animation.

I disagree. Just carry some food and maintain hunger within certain range. I rarely have a problem with this and when it does it's entirely my fault. Pay attention to the hunger and it should be fine.

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

And it's always the changing _down_ a step that's the problem.  After all, when he goes from wimpy to normal or normal to mighty, it's because _you just fed him_, on purpose, so you know what's going to happen. The other way around, however, often happens when you're in the middle of something else--and even when it's not lethal, it's bloody annoying.

I TOTALLY vote for it working the way said in the above post.

...Notorious

I agree on that. 

2 hours ago, WildWesternWilson said:

Well, actually, while he is saying it, he's invincible. Sure, he's royally ****ed if something attacks straight after his forms change, but you know. 

… In other words, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Sure, you have to stop for a minute, but it should be alright most of the time. 

I heard that in DST he's not invincible during the animation though.

33 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I disagree, seriously, what are you on about?

Wolfgang is OP as ****. Give Wilsons a chance for christ sake. 

Wouldn't say OP(outside of PVP) really, but yeah, he's strong, he doesn't need a buff. It's just that stopping and being stunlocked because of a sudden animation playing...is kind of ********. 

6 hours ago, WildWesternWilson said:

It does waste armor durability though. If you have limited resources then that could be a big deal. Plus if you have multiple enemies chasing, you could get swarmed and then stun-locked. BUT I actually like that this happens. It adds an extra dynamic to Wolfgang. You have to pay extra attention to hunger, and, if he's on the verge of transformation, take special action to avoid hits. 

On June 9, 2016 at 10:38 PM, AnonymousKoala said:

A discussion in a thread comparing Wigfrid to Wolfgang reminded me of one of Wolfgang's most notable disadventages, and that is having to stop entirely when you change from wimpy to normal, normal to mighty, normal to wimpy.

Now, my suggestion is to make them be just quotes/work like quotes. So if you stand still animation happens, but if you move they get cancelled out and all you see is the text.

Yeah, It's not fun running away from spiders while you go down a rank (what ever you call it) and get stun locked after that

If nothing else, can we just make it optional because it's ANNOYING?

Seriously, I friggin' hate it.  It's one of the main reasons I don't play as Wolfgang--the sudden stops in the middle of whatever I was doing at the time bug me too much.  Can't he just say it with flowers words?

...Notorious

Leave it in.

It's the only thing that makes Wolfgang not absolutely overpowered... Hahahaha... Wolfgang 'not overpowered'... Good joke...

Maybe it doesn't bug me, because I'm always in Mighty form. I mean... Wut, don't have enough food?

What, are you people jumping into a battle not eating beforehand? Are you not keeping an eye on your hunger value if for some magical reason you don't have your inventory filled with meat? Please...

(laughs)  He's just THAT. Badass.  Either that, or he's gotten used to the weirdness of this world by now.  "Oh, I seem to be shrinking again, must be time for a snack.  Dum de dum..."

In the early game, not everybody has tons of food on-hand.  It takes a while to find the right resources and build it up.  For me, Wolfgang is  mighty only on RARE occasions, and the amount of time it lasts is _tiny_.   And since all worlds are generated randomly, don't assume everybody can get "an inventory full of meat" on like, Day 2.  Wolfgang was, in fact, the first character I played as in normal Don't Starve who actually DID starve.  His faster hunger-drain really threw me.

Even if you _have_ been playing a while and are now at the point where you have more food than you can eat before it spoils, it's STILL damn annoying to keep having him physically stop what you're trying to do to announce it all the time--and as for keeping him at exactly the same level so that doesn't happen, I play Don't Starve for fun, not math!  : P  I'd rather just worry about "Are they in the safe zone, hunger-wise, or about to die?" rather than "Are they somewhere between exactly this number and that number?"

At any rate, remember that not everybody has the same amount of knowledge or experience at the game, and not knowing what you do doesn't make them "stupid" or a "whiner".  It just means theyr'e newer.  And, world seeds vary.  A LOT.

Anyway, I don't even PvP at all and I can testify, it's still bloody annoying in singleplayer.  I cannot _count_ the number of times his stopping to announce wimpiness in the middle of a DESPERATE, late-dusk, winter hound chase (or similar) has just about given me a god damned heart attack.  It's like:  "If I keep running on the road, and keep dodging, maybe I can just barely make it back to camp before oh for fu--SHUT UP, WOLFGANG!  I _know_ you're hungry!  Little busy with not having you die of darkness and hounds right now!"

No, "GIT GUD" is not the actual answer.

No, not even if it's the Amazing Maxwell saying it.

...Notorious

Archived