Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

DeputyDeath

Hands up who'd pay more for more Shipwrecked content!

Recommended Posts

DeputyDeath    262

I'd willingly spend another £10 (double the price of the original purchase) for more content.

How much would you pay, if anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stl1234    284

This game, in general, has a ridiculous price tag. Only other games I've spent as much time playing are Civ4, Civ 5 and Skyrim, all $60 titles. Their business model looks pretty much like this to me:

  1. Sell a great game and its expansions for ridiculously low prices
  2. ????
  3. Profit

If money is the reason why the new expansion has so many bugs, then there needs to be an update on their business model.

I'd hope that there would be a round of bug fixes very soon, to get SW to the level of quality we got used to from Klei. I think SW has enough content for an expansion, and it is a great expansion, which changes the game a lot. And in a game where the replayability is the key, changing the game mechanics is the best that can be achieved. After the bug fixes, I'd prefer a new expansion, which builds on top of SW and sold with a meaningful price tag. This expansion would exploit the great untapped potential left in SW theme (depth in volcano, underwater etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daggaroth    129

I would certainly pay to see what they could do with underwater exploration. Ever since the moment I first heard about Shipwrecked, it's been a concept that really intrigued me. Of course, the community has suggested a number of other good ideas for extra 'worlds' within the Ocean such as the inside of a whale, or a pirate grotto. I feel that the potential is very impressive here :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SoggyNachos    144

Thing is, I just want Shipwrecked to be more refined, and then set aside for good. Hey, whatever happens happens, but as long as Klei keep making one of my favourite games ever even more enjoyable, then whatever they decide on doing, I'm all for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ogrecakes    1,424

I'm not paying a single extra cent on anything Shipwrecked related.

If it had the things it needed to be worthwhile I wouldn't have minded paying 10-15+$ but that's not the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oCrapaCreeper    3,093
2 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

I'm not paying a single extra cent on anything Shipwrecked related.

If it had the things it needed to be worthwhile I wouldn't have minded paying 10-15+$ but that's not the case.

What does it actually need?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NoQuitting    153
8 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

What does it actually need?

Until Baby Waterbeefalo are added this game is still in Beta!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oCrapaCreeper    3,093
Just now, NoQuitting said:

Until Baby Waterbeefalo are added this game is still in Beta!

The edges could definitely be smoothed but content content wise they did an okay job for not originally creating the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3,996

Well i guess people know my standpoint since almost 3 weeks now.

I would happily spend another 5-10€ on SW if this means another 6-8 months worth of development time.

Because here is the thing we got a great basis as it stands but it's just not utilized to it's fullest potential. SW can be something awesome if Capy wants it to be but i as i said it a good amount of times 4 months just isn't enought to create a whole new set of worlds that are supposed to rival RoG in terms of polish and content.

@stl1234 I already said it once but i say it again. Selling DLC for you'r DLC is a horrible buisness practice and if we know the Internet it will throw up a S**tstorm of unforseen magnitude onnhow Greedy Klei must be to make such a thing. It's a better idea if SW price would go up to 10€ and instead find a good and meaningfull way to get more funds to continue development but more DLC is never the right answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stl1234    284
8 hours ago, Mr.P said:

SW price would go up to 10€ and instead find a good and meaningfull way to get more funds

How would that work exactly? Shipwrecked is released. The end. There is no way to get more money to add more stuff for something that is already released. This isn't a subscription based game. The only way to get more money for more Shipwrecked content is to add a new DLC built on top of SW. The DLC doesn't have to require to be bought on top of SW, it can replace it (e.g. you can either buy SW for $X for current SW experience, or buy SW+ for $3X to get a choice of current experience or the expanded experience, or if you have already bought SW, you can only pay $2X for the difference).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3,996
13 minutes ago, stl1234 said:

How would that work exactly? Shipwrecked is released. The end. There is no way to get more money to add more stuff for something that is already released. This isn't a subscription based game. The only way to get more money for more Shipwrecked content is to add a new DLC built on top of SW. The DLC doesn't have to require to be bought on top of SW, it can replace it (e.g. you can either buy SW for $X for current SW experience, or buy SW+ for $3X to get a choice of current experience or the expanded experience, or if you have already bought SW, you can only pay $2X for the difference).

That's why i said find other ways to get funds from the people what already own it. I mean more to increase the baseprice of SW to 10€ once it has the qualitylevel that that warranties such a price (Developers can still change the price of a game or DLC postlaunch just look at the shady s**t Rockstar is doing with GTA 5 when it goes on sale).

I think the problem here is that if they make a DLC to improve SW then the people who bought it will obviously feel betrayed because they thought they didn't bought the full package and that Klei deliberatly cut out parts of SW to sell more DLC. ANd that's the type of S**tstorm i don't want to see on these Forums or about Klei in general because they are one of the few Companys where the DLC is easily worth it so they aren't greedy like other companies.

As for how to get other funds well TBH the best idea might be Kickstarter just so people that want to help can pledge and the more we pledge the more months of development we get for SW and the more content we get over the course of that time. That being said the problem with that is that you basicly exclude the people who can't pledge to Kickstarters what is a problem tbh. However it's really the only way i can see what makes Klei and Capy not look like greedy f**ks to the public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
YumoS    216

I dont think that shipwrecked is in his current state in any way finished. There is missing a huge portion of content which would make the game worth playing in the long run. After 200 days everything is done and you dont have any reason to play more. It is great for 5 euros no denying but who said this is enough to make a game finished. Maybe an price increase and adding more content and new mechanics and not copy paste everything from rog would make it great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WillPwn4Food    295
20 hours ago, Mr.P said:

...SW can be something awesome if Capy wants it to be but i as i said it a good amount of times 4 months just isn't enought to create a whole new set of worlds that are supposed to rival RoG in terms of polish and content...

According to the most recent stream, Capy started toying with the DS engine back at the end of 2014. They were working on it for a solid year before it came to early access.

About the OP, yes, I'd gladly pay another $5 for a much more polished experience or $10 for more content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
6 hours ago, WillPwn4Food said:

According to the most recent stream, Capy started toying with the DS engine back at the end of 2014. They were working on it for a solid year before it came to early access.

About the OP, yes, I'd gladly pay another $5 for a much more polished experience or $10 for more content.

Thing is, SW didn't change much between now and the first update. So good job on the year, but it was the starting point, and if they planned to do so little updates, they needed to make them more worthwhile than "hey lets make prime apes less of jerks, add a stale character, a stale boss who drops things for reskinned item and a new item, and a few tweaks".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2016 at 7:33 PM, stl1234 said:

This game, in general, has a ridiculous price tag. Only other games I've spent as much time playing are Civ4, Civ 5 and Skyrim, all $60 titles. Their business model looks pretty much like this to me:

  1. Sell a great game and its expansions for ridiculously low prices
  2. ????
  3. Profit

Well the low price is also the reason why so many people are playing Don't Starve in the first place. This is the only game I have ever paid for and even bought my gf a copy of DST so we play together. If the game was more expensive I would have probably just downloaded a cracked version and played that for free. Just being honest here, and I can assure you there are thousands of people like me - so raising the price on a game is not always a good move since you'd just get less consumers buying it.

Civ and Skyrim can afford to make their games $60 because it's Civ and Skyrim, people will buy those games no-matter what, it's like Jordan putting out a new shoe for $300, they will all sell out even if he raised the price to $500 a pair. But if you're not Jordan then you won't sell anything with those prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites