What is the purpose of lighting things on fire in your inventory?

I wanted to make ash and realized I could just light my rot on fire in my inventory. Then the game just kept subtracting health from me until I died and didn't even tell me my rot was on fire. What kind of sick joke is this?

Edited: Figured it out... Obsidian Armor makes you fireproof which makes you a mobile fireplace.

The item you burn in your inventory determined the amount of time it takes to burn. Regardless of stack size. The ashes then drop on the ground.

This makes it very easy to test if you are playing as Willow, in case you aren't sure.

There is nothing mechanically wrong with this action. Game allowing you to do stupid things then die is what rogue-likes do.

• Oh wait, I can burn this in my inventory? How cool is that? <lights a stack of ignorable material on fire>
  • Umm taking damage... help? <Dies>
  • Oh god, I'm so stupid.

Been there, done that.

Just now, stl1234 said:

This makes it very easy to test if you are playing as Willow, in case you aren't sure.

There is nothing mechanically wrong with this action. Game allowing you to do stupid things then die is what rogue-likes do.

• Oh wait, I can burn this in my inventory? How cool is that? <lights a stack of ignorable material on fire>
  • Umm taking damage... help? <Dies>
  • Oh god, I'm so stupid.

Been there, done that.

Never even knew that you could light stuff on fire with anything but Willows Lighter.

And now i got this wierd mental immage of Wilson just casualy taking a stroll with a bunch of burning sticks in his backpockets.

14 minutes ago, mitboy said:

I'm pretty sure is was done of lighting coconades,

While that is a scenario which makes this useful for all characters, I believe this mechanic existed before SW. Someone correct this if not true.

2 hours ago, stl1234 said:

While that is a scenario which makes this useful for all characters, I believe this mechanic existed before SW. Someone correct this if not true.

Yes, it's always been like that and it's always been a really cool and niche strat for Willow; which describes most Willow strats in general.

You can light items in your inventory to do AOE damage. Willow can light a bunch of boards in her inventory to do more DPS than mighty Wolfgang. Willow can also do this to increase sanity while mobile and it also provides a light source and keeps you warm.

At one point, Ackzay was lighting a single gunpowder in his inventory while wearing armor. Hounds smother him and then end up dying from the gunpowder explosion.

You can also kamikaze yourself using the same strat. Wear a life giving amulet, light 14 gunpowder in your inventory and run straight into the DFly. Kaboom and then instant resurrection.

A lot of people underrate Willow, but esoteric things like this, fire traps, and debatably better sanity regen than Maxwell easily make her a really cool and dynamic character. 

1 minute ago, Moon64 said:

Yes, it's always been like that and it's always been a really cool and niche strat for Willow.

You can light items in your inventory to do AOE damage. Willow can light a bunch of boards in her inventory to do more DPS than Wolfgang. Willow can also do this to increase sanity while mobilenjoying and also provides a light source.

At one point, Ackzay was lighting a single gunpowder in his inventory while wearing armor. Hounds smother him and then end up dying from the gunpowder explosion.

You can also kamikaze yourself using the same strat. Wear a life giving amulet, light 14 gunpowder in your inventory and run straight into the DFly. Kaboom and then instant resurrecation.

Suddenly I want to play Willow.

19 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Yup this sounds actually like a really cool way to fight stuff and with the Old Bell you can easily gather Wood for all those boards.

It doesn't have to be boards. I just suggested them due to their longer burning time. Glommer goop also works for example.

Any character can replicate this with scalemail though. Willow just does it better; more items in your inventory burning is more damage. One board in each inventory slot than whatever you can fit in your backpack, plus the sanity regen.

I haven't tested it but I bet this also prevents you from being frozen by the Deerclops.

With fire traps, Willow is definitely not a "bottom of the barrel" character some people regard her as. 

As for OP, if your health was high enough you wouldn't have died. Logging off and back on before dying would have stopped the damage. Take it as a lesson learned.

Just now, Moon64 said:

It doesn't have to be boards. I just suggested them due to their longer burning time. 

Any character can replicate this with scalemail though. 

I haven't tested it but I bet this also prevents you from being frozen by the Deerclops.

Kamikze has now become my favorite new strat. I need to test this in game. 

Just now, Moon64 said:

It doesn't have to be boards. I just suggested them due to their longer burning time. 

Any character can replicate this with scalemail though. 

Obviously but Willow can do this from Day 1 while everyone else needs pretty much lategame equipment to do this.

And i was mostly talking boards because as you said Longer burntime although it really depends on how long you want the fight to last. I mean Hounds probably only take a handfull of Logs while a giant probably needs a whole stack of boards to easily go down through that method

15 minutes ago, Moon64 said:

Yes, it's always been like that and it's always been a really cool and niche strat for Willow; which describes most Willow strats in general.

You can light items in your inventory to do AOE damage. Willow can light a bunch of boards in her inventory to do more DPS than mighty Wolfgang. Willow can also do this to increase sanity while mobile and it also provides a light source.

You can also kamikaze yourself using the same strat. Wear a life giving amulet, light 14 gunpowder in your inventory and run straight into the DFly. Kaboom and then instant resurrection.

A lot of people underrate Willow, but esoteric things like this, fire traps, and debatably better sanity regen than Maxwell easily make her a really cool and dynamic character. 

Omg, I did not know that! This certainly puts Willow in different light for me...

34 minutes ago, Moon64 said:

You can light items in your inventory to do AOE damage. Willow can light a bunch of boards in her inventory to do more DPS than mighty Wolfgang. Willow can also do this to increase sanity while mobile and it also provides a light source.

Does each item in a stack contribute towards the damage/sanity gain, or it dependant on burning items in multiple inventory slots at once?

2 minutes ago, Daggaroth said:

Does each item in a stack contribute towards the damage/sanity gain, or it dependant on burning items in multiple inventory slots at once?

Each stack, so you want multiple stacks of 1.

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Its also another reason why DST willow sucks

You don't need Willow or fire immunity to kill enemies with fire. Drop the items on the ground to not be limited to the number of inventory slots and spread them around for a bigger AOE. You can do that with anynone. Willow's the bottom of the barrel in either game mode, but lack of full fire immunity is not the reason why.

4 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

You don't need Willow or fire immunity to kill enemies with fire. Drop the items on the ground to not be limited to the number of inventory slots and spread them around for a bigger AOE. You can do that with anynone. Willow's the bottom of the barrel in either game mode, but lack of full fire immunity is not the reason why.

But Willow can keep them in her inventory and run around like a maniac. No need to depend upon AI movement of enemies.

20 minutes ago, Prakhar said:

But Willow can keep them in her inventory and run around like a maniac. No need to depend upon AI movement of enemies.

That lowers the DPS. Enemies will come to you anw; tank them. You can run around like a maniac with Scalemail and Obsidian Armor too. You don't need Willow.

1 hour ago, TeoSS69 said:

That lowers the DPS. Enemies will come to you anw; tank them. You can run around like a maniac with Scalemail and Obsidian Armor too. You don't need Willow.

I don't think it does..haven't tested though. You don't have to tank them as well. Just kite. It's extra damage and lots of sanity.

The scalemail and obsidian armour thing is correct, although you get them quite late in the game. Willow can use the same strats way earlier and gain sanity from it!

12 minutes ago, Prakhar said:

I don't think it does..haven't tested though. You don't have to tank them as well. Just kite. It's extra damage and lots of sanity.

The scalemail and obsidian armour thing is correct, although you get them quite late in the game. Willow can use the same strats way earlier and gain sanity from it!

Kiting lowers DPS because you spend time away from the target. You also limit yourself to the number of inventory slots.
> It's extra damage and lots of sanity.
Not in the slightest. Especially with that amount of fire damage.

> although you get them quite late in the game
Depends on the starting season in RoG. In SW you can find the OA in treasure chests or have a good chance at getting one on day 20-21 from the Quacken. After that anyone can do the same she does. You don't need Willow.

>gain sanity
Sanity is easy to maintain as it is. Willow ends up needing a Nightmare Amulet to farm Nightmare Fuel with fire damage too.

Archived