Maxwell's Playground

LadyD

"Huh?" Arca seemed surprised that Conner was apoligizing for Sylvia. "Oh, do not worry! I suppose it was partly a fault of my own, since she had evidently asked me the same question before." she said.

"Now, Halan... could you explain to me -- us, what this 'atmosphere' might be...?" she looked very interested.

17 minutes ago, Dannyrulx said:

She turned and walked back to camp.

(Is Sylvia sonic? Cause they were already walking in direction of the camp :p)

"I'm not good at explaining stuff, but I'll give it a try." 

He puts a few twigs he had in his hands in his pocket and starts gesticulating the form of a sphere

"So, Earth is a ball. And imagine the planet being surrounded by more spheres, larger and larger, each containing the other. This is the atmosphere. And it contains gases, along with protecting the Earth from solar radiations. The gasses are kept together by gravity. The closer atmosphere to us is the  Troposphere...I think. It only goes up for a few kilometres. Then there's the Stratosphere! Then..."

He stops for a moment and blushes

"I don't remember this one. But the one above it is the Thermosphere! It goes up for...700 km. Where aurora borealis happen! Well...not always. But that's where they appear when they do."

Edited by DwerBomb
  • Like 1

"Wow... fascinating! Aurora Borealis... oh! You mean the Northern Light?" Arca asked.
"I always wondered what I would see if I flew up for long. So I decided to try it out once. I didn't get very far... because strangely enough, the higher I got, the colder it became, and the harder it was to breathe. Perhaps it was exhaustion, since flying up also gets very tiring after a while, as it requires a lot more effort." she expained.

Edited by RyanandLink
  • Like 1

"But do you not wish to see it for yourself? The Northern Lights up close, what a beauty that must be!" Arca said with inspiration filling her eyes. "I will tell you what, if you can get your hands on the right equipment, I will fly you up there, hahaha!"

• Like 2

Conner listened to the two beside him but his gaze was about the scenery before them. This place wasn't bad really, it actually seemed rather nice with the views. Why didn't he go out often? Well there was his job that got in the way...  Realizing he started to tune out the conversation as he looked back to them hearing something about flying someone up there. He hoped it wasn't too important.

• Like 2

(Damn, another two pages again)

Red walked by them silently. He listened to Hal explain the atmosphere surrounding the Earth but there was one he seemed to have forgotten. "Hal, I believe the one you forgot is Mesosphere" he said, "It's basically the middle ball of the whole atmosphere" He turned his head to Arca. "Arca, the only reason it get harder breath is cos the atmosphere gets thinner the higher up you go" Red explained "If you go too far, you'll end up in space. Space contains no oxygen and atmosphere, resulting in an instant death without a proper spacesuit and some sort of space craft" Red hoped all this information didn't confuse Arca. It was a lot to take in after all.

Edited by DragonMage156

(New player @YouKnowWho) 

Name: Technical Occupation Machine or T.O.M

Backstory(just a brief as to how you ended up here): Used to be a carsalesbot. Was tricked to think that the machine was a new type of car and that he should take it for a test drive.  There's much more, but that's for another time. Ehehehe!

Appearance: A withered rectangular robot wearing a fedora. Has a singular wheel to move around. Only has one arm.

Personality: Quirky and annoying. Can't stop being happy and excited.

Quirk/Gift/Ability (optional): Only has one arm. His tire isn't very durable. Can't get around as easily without his tire. Annoying. Can play a loud noise to get attention from far away. It used to be a chant that constantly said "SALE! SALE! SALE!" but it may not be as pleasant now. Has a rusty revolver hidden in a compartment that he can get out if necessary. Revolver doesn't have infinite ammo. It takes 30 seconds to reload it, and it can only hold one bullet at a time.  Everything hurts.

http://imgur.com/uPQK9Oy

• Like 3

Maxwell boredly considered all that had happened. The results were not promising, so he grabbed another one. After all what was one more? He dumped TOM right where the others had started, stood over him and informed the robot

"Say pal you don't look so good, Maybe you should be afraid of the dark" and then vanished again. 

Art grinned at Bell as she approached and saw a spark for sure this time.
"That was a spark! Nice one! I think this really is flint which is good for starting fires and we are going to need one. I think" Art said and gave Bell a thumbs up. It was an awkward motion since she was holding the end of her shirt up to make a pouch for all the rocks she had gathered.

As they started to head back Art noticed someone standing there, a tall figure that looked a lot like the git they had woken up to the first time.
"HEY! HEY YOU!" She yelled and started to fun but he was gone and there was loud looking machine left there instead.
"Damn it! If we had caught him I bet he could have sent us home!" Art cursed and looked at the machine, it was... well ugly. Worn and run down and very loud. 

"What the hell are you?" She asked rudely and dumped the rocks she had gathered onto the ground, still frustrated that she hadn't caught Maxwell in time to demand some answers. 

The two pieces of flint Bell was holding dropped to the ground.

Oh.

My.

Word.

She approached the metal contraption with wide eyes and immediately started investigating it; tapping around, moving joins, looking in holes. It was extremely worn and looked barely functional, but my word. She could barely wrap her head around this. This was amazing! She wanted-no, needed to know how it worked.

• Like 1

"Yeah thats not going to get annoying at all" Art muttered when the machine got stuck on P for a good ten seconds, it felt more like an eternity. Its voice was so grating and what was worse it seemed to have some sort of AI. Could she dismantle something if it was 'sentient?' The temptation was already running rather high, she wasn't sure why but she was starting to dislike this thing immensely. Bell was already eagerly poking at the thing which made Art smile, she suppressed it but the edges of her mouth still quirked upwards. So this was what Bell liked? Machines? For the first time since she had met Bell the other girl looked interested and eager. 

"Hey Bell, why don't you see if you can make it quieter? Or i don't know... better" Art suggested and grabbed up the stones that Bell had dropped a few feet away. Art then went to check her 'stick measure' sure enough the shadow was shorter. The sun was getting higher in the sky. She put another mark in the dirt and then stood up and looked about for the others. They were heading this way, so she raised an arm and waved at them. 

Conner saw Art and decided to go show her what he found but stopped when he saw a robot. It was a robot right? It was really loud, like when Jack decided to bark his head off if he wasn't paying him attention. "When did your new friend get here?" he asked Art as he finally walked up to her holding out grass, twig, some flint, and rocks.

Red lay the berries on the ground and ran over. "Interesting" he said, rubbing his chin with his finger. He looked it over and assumed he was used for sale announcements or promotional purposes of some company. "I think I'm beginning to understand how this guy works. I think his voice box or speech function is a bit on the loose end. If we had the right tools, we could probably repair him"

Edited by DragonMage156

Art resisted the urge to stuff her fingers in her ears in protest against the noise that the machine was making.
"I didn't decide anything that tall lanky git was here, dropped this off and then vanished again. Red if you and Bell can shut this thing up I will actually hug you both." Art proclaimed as if hugging was the biggest reward in the world. 

"So these rocks are flint, I think. At any rate they produce a spark which means we can build a fire! which will come in handy..." Art said looking at the dead bird Sylvia had managed to kill. 
"Lets try get a fire going" Art suggested