Why let SW characters start in RoG if only half of them are actually usable?

It's nice that the options are there but it just seems weird to me. Wilbur and Warly are the only SW characters who's perks are actually usable.

Warly works fine with his cooking perks, and Wilbur is a beast with his running. But Walani and Woodlegs are pretty much useless in an RoG world as both of their perks rely on water, which of course can't be interacted with in RoG or Vanilla. Yet we can now start an RoG world as them. Walani can't ever use her surfboard, and Woodlegs just loses sanity 24/7.

I want to say they need new perks for RoG but they were originally made for Shipwrecked so I don't know if that would make sense.

If anything else maybe at least make boats intractable with the old style water? Not sure how feasible that is considering they were designed to be a border. May not even be that useful considering most of the water is at the border of the maps. Perhaps they could be remade as an actual tile like SW water but have their traditional swirly style?

For those curious this is what a boat looks like on the old water, only achievable with debugspawning the boat. 

MU9aKqO.jpg

59 minutes ago, voyager156 said:

Can't those characters enter a portal (don't know the name) from RoG world to SW? I think this is the point --> to play them with that "2 Worlds style play" in mind.

The problem here is the fact that 2 out of 4 SW characters are only good for the SW worlds while everyone else and i mean everyone can work just as well in a SW world as they can in a RoG world.

The fact that 2 chars basicly become just slightly alterd versions of Wilson upon embarking to the RoG worlds is just well dissapoiting at best and horrible at Worst. Specialy Woodlegs when you consider the fact that you basicly need a Tam to even keep him sane in the RoG worlds because of his passive Sanity drain on land.

The fact is that SW is supposed to be an extension of the Worlds we played before and this should also reflect to the characters and both Warly and Wilbur are a perfect example of a char that works well in both worlds however both Walani and Woodlegs do not work well in the RoG worlds what makes the whole World Traveling gimmick for them completly pointless and also limits you in the items you can get (can't get Giant drops from RoG worlds as well as some items from th Caves and Ruins).

I said the same thing in Walani's topic before. Also, only half of Wilbur's perk work, it seems splumonkeys aren't friendly to him? I got woodlegs with console commands and after trying him a bit in RoG i feel like i'd would never use him again. Losing half of your brain everyday is really annoying and makes cave explroring almost impossible since not even a Tam will help. Imagine if he was in DST with ghost draining you sanity too? I get the idea but he i don't find him fun to play at all,.

11 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

Don't play them in ROG then... i can see a lot of people playing Woodlegs in ROG just becasue it would be so hard. Oh and Walani has water protection so she would be good in spring.

"Don't like, don't play" isn't an argument. If people wanted a challenge, they would play Wes. Also, Walani has faster drying, not protection, on practice her perk is useless during rain (and everyone dries super fast close to the fire anyway).

I'm sure one of the main reasons people bought this DLC were the 4 new characters. Making half of them worthless for over half of the content is silly and a bad marketing strategy. 

6 hours ago, Mr.P said:

The problem here is the fact that 2 out of 4 SW characters are only good for the SW worlds while everyone else and i mean everyone can work just as well in a SW world as they can in a RoG world.

The fact that 2 chars basicly become just slightly alterd versions of Wilson upon embarking to the RoG worlds is just well dissapoiting at best and horrible at Worst. Specialy Woodlegs when you consider the fact that you basicly need a Tam to even keep him sane in the RoG worlds because of his passive Sanity drain on land.

The fact is that SW is supposed to be an extension of the Worlds we played before and this should also reflect to the characters and both Warly and Wilbur are a perfect example of a char that works well in both worlds however both Walani and Woodlegs do not work well in the RoG worlds what makes the whole World Traveling gimmick for them completly pointless and also limits you in the items you can get (can't get Giant drops from RoG worlds as well as some items from th Caves and Ruins).

I must admit you have a point here...

2 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Again, I need to know, do boats actually work is ROG? If so...WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T THEY BEEN IMPLEMENTED.

All your issues would be solved, if they just added the goddamned boats.

Yes, boats do function in that picture. It's wonky of course since you're not supposed to be able to do that, like when you try to leave the boat you simply stand on the water.  I debugspawned it in the water.

SW and RoG were merged into one thing last update, so all features should technically be able to exist in both world types. When you start an RoG world you're technically playing Shipwrecked, it just kinda emulates RoG in a way. That's how they were able to let SW characters into RoG. Boats do function on any tile they are spawned on, including the ground.

With some fixes and tweaks I do believe they can allow boats to properly function in RoG. Of course, the water was originally designed to be a border, not playable.

It's funny how when Klei gives us a little, we always seem to ask for more.

If they hadn't included Walani or Woodlegs, there would be people on here inevitably asking for them to be added as more difficult characters for ROG. It's up to you whether you want to use them or ignore them. Klei was giving us additional freedom in how we play by adding CHARACTERS WHO WERE MEANT FOR ANOTHER GAME to the base game. We shouldn't be expecting them to then tweak the characters/RoG world to play nicely together.

1 hour ago, WillPwn4Food said:

If they hadn't included Walani or Woodlegs, there would be people on here inevitably asking for them to be added as more difficult characters for ROG. It's up to you whether you want to use them or ignore them. Klei was giving us additional freedom in how we play by adding CHARACTERS WHO WERE MEANT FOR ANOTHER GAME to the base game. We shouldn't be expecting them to then tweak the characters/RoG world to play nicely together.

And also there is always someone that makes mods about that...

4 hours ago, WillPwn4Food said:

If they're going to be useless though and nothing is going to be done about it, then they shouldn't be there, they should stay in Shipwrecked. Simple as that.

Uh, because why not? You've bought a DLC, you get a possibility to pick your new characters. Why would they lock two characters and be like "Oh no, no, no, no. You're NOT picking this character! It would be too hard for you, are you crazy?" LOL

You've unlocked these characters, you know their perks. You know what you're getting into. Jumping into SW from RoG is not as hard as it seems.

15 hours ago, PanAzej said:

Uh, because why not? You've bought a DLC, you get a possibility to pick your new characters. Why would they lock two characters and be like "Oh no, no, no, no. You're NOT picking this character! It would be too hard for you, are you crazy?" LOL

You've unlocked these characters, you know their perks. You know what you're getting into. Jumping into SW from RoG is not as hard as it seems.

Not quite at all what I said but I think Mr. P and Serph put it nicely:

On 2/28/2016 at 5:24 AM, Mr.P said:

On 2/28/2016 at 7:56 AM, Serph said:

"Don't like, don't play" isn't an argument. If people wanted a challenge, they would play Wes. Also, Walani has faster drying, not protection, on practice her perk is useless during rain (and everyone dries super fast close to the fire anyway).

I'm sure one of the main reasons people bought this DLC were the 4 new characters. Making half of them worthless for over half of the content is silly and a bad marketing strategy. 

They added them to give us some extra choice of characters. Besides, it would make sense that different characters are better suited for survival in different environments. If they all had equal footing everywhere it would be boring.

If you don't want to use them then don't.  Personally I haven't been a fan of any of the old characters except for Wilson. Warly's changed that.

Maybe they could give old Woodlegs a little boat that he can use on ponds. He'd like that.

Archived