Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

So, it would seem that my cluster.ini isn't being read.  The servers are starting up like normal, and reporting no errors, but cannot be found via the ingame server browser or http://dstservers.jacklul.com/.  Any idea why?  I completely nuked and rewrote all the server files, which fixed the error of the server not starting, so they're exactly what V2C has written (excluding the edited cluster.ini), a custom worldgenoverride.lua for the over-world, and modoverrides.lua (which is working).

I also have noted that the servers are no longer creating cluster folders. 

[GAMEPLAY]
game_mode = survival
max_players = 15
pvp = false
pause_when_empty = true

[NETWORK]
cluster_description = We're back in black!  Well, not in black...
cluster_name = Fiskie's Furry Friendly
cluster_intention = cooperative
cluster_password = 

[MISC]
console_enabled = true

[SHARD]
shard_enabled = true
bind_ip = 127.0.0.1
master_ip = 127.0.0.1
master_port = 10889
cluster_key = supersecretkey

5 hours ago, KitcheVadimas said:

So, it would seem that my cluster.ini isn't being read.  The servers are starting up like normal, and reporting no errors, but cannot be found via the ingame server browser or http://dstservers.jacklul.com/.  Any idea why?  I completely nuked and rewrote all the server files, which fixed the error of the server not starting, so they're exactly what V2C has written (excluding the edited cluster.ini), a custom worldgenoverride.lua for the over-world, and modoverrides.lua (which is working).

I also have noted that the servers are no longer creating cluster folders. 

maybe its trying to read the cluster.ini from the default DoNotStarveTogether folder rather than DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated or Mydediserver. im dealing with that issue myself right now, same story for the cluster token file. so i tried moving all the files to the folder in my documents (DoNotStarveTogether) in my case and that made it work somehow.. i noticed something was off when my server name ended up being the default chosen one.

Edited by GrandTickler

in the fierst line is "c:/...dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.." and seconde line "cd/D c:/..dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.."

you must change this fold "c:/..." into the fold, where you set your Steamcmd. for exmaple D:/steamcmd or F

On 2016/2/11 at 6:51 AM, Xaviien said:

I followed the instructions to the letter, I'm fairly certain, except I changed survival and cooperative to endless and social in the ini.

When I open StartDSTServers.bat I get the error "Windows cannot find 'dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

On 4/27/2016 at 6:00 PM, GrandTickler said:

maybe its trying to read the cluster.ini from the default DoNotStarveTogether folder rather than DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated or Mydediserver. im dealing with that issue myself right now, same story for the cluster token file. so i tried moving all the files to the folder in my documents (DoNotStarveTogether) in my case and that made it work somehow.. i noticed something was off when my server name ended up being the default chosen one.

I found the problem.  Apparently there was a 2nd "my dedi server" in DoNotStarveTogether, that had the settings of one of my hosted servers.  I deleted it and copy/pasted my actual dedicated server's folder in, and it's fixed.

It seems to me that not realizing that validate command in steamcmd command line (or verifying local files in GUI steam client) reverts mods/dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and mods/modsettings.lua to their default content is a common source of confusion when mods are not loaded as expected.

Could renaming the official ones to dedicated_server_mods_setup.sample.lua and modsettings.sample.lua (with a comment inside instructing to rename them to be used by the game) solve this?

Just wanted to give DST a try after some time, but for some reason I can't get mods to download/update.

First time I've launched my local server I've got a client message about "server has outdated mods". I deleted all mods, thinking it would just re-download them all, but nope.

I always get "DownloadMods(0)".

I didn't noticed any word here about changes regarding modoverrides, am I missing something?

2 hours ago, SrJardel said:

Just wanted to give DST a try after some time, but for some reason I can't get mods to download/update.

First time I've launched my local server I've got a client message about "server has outdated mods". I deleted all mods, thinking it would just re-download them all, but nope.

I always get "DownloadMods(0)".

I didn't noticed any word here about changes regarding modoverrides, am I missing something?

Do you have all the workshop numbers in your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua in the mods folder?  It should look like this:

ServerModSetup("356006343") --mod name here if you wish
	ServerModSetup("369228986")
	ServerModSetup("378160973")

• Like 1

@cptCalavera It could be one of two things:

Case 1: The worldgenoverride.lua was saved as worldgenoverride.lua.txt, to confirm that it's actually a LUA File, set the folder options view to Details and under the File Type it should be LUA File for the worldgenoverride.lua. If it's worldgenoverride.lua.txt then you just have to the following. Open the file again, click File > Save As > Click Drop down list for "Save as Type:" > Select All Types (*.*) > Make sure file name is "worldgenoverride.lua" > Save. After that start up the Dedicated Server and enter c_regenerateworld() into the server windows or the console in-game.

Case 2: Like with the last part of case 1, but instead the worldgenoverride.lua is the correct file type but the Dedicated Server has already generated the worlds before you placed the worldgenoverride.lua in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves which is possibly why the it generated two overworlds together. So with this, you just have to c_regenerateworld() once you're sure the worldgenoverride.lua is in the correct location.

Attach the server_log.txt under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves if it still doesn't work though. Good luck. I hope it works, cheers.

10 hours ago, KitcheVadimas said:

Do you have all the workshop numbers in your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua in the mods folder?  It should look like this:

ServerModSetup("356006343") --mod name here if you wish
	ServerModSetup("369228986")
	ServerModSetup("378160973")

This, my bad.

I forgot to check it after updating the server files.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I had @Xaviier 's issue. I put the file path in as @AliciaYI said (though I can't seem to post my .bat file's contents here in any way as the page says CloudFlare blocked me). It still gives me the "cannot find dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer" error. I'm on Windows 10 with kind of a potato-y computer, can anyone help? I don't want to have to buy anything or port-forward in fear of messing something up and breaking the family's router...

Edited by PaperLaur

I have a little question, these days I was creating the token file and the .bat executable using the cluster_1 folder with a world already created, then I jumped between host and dedicated, and worked flawlessly, it worked for a long time, but since one of these updates my friends can't join for more than 5 minutes, they come, they play, everything is working fine and suddenly they leave, and if they try to join again they become very laggy and they can't join anymore, I supose thats all my fault, my lazyness.
checking the configuration files, the .ini ones I see that the ports are diferent, this is the source of the problem?, I changed the ports and now my .ini files have the same as this tutorial, but why the other ports worked too?, I don't know if the problem is solved, tomorrow I will call some friends to verificate it, meanwhile I want to learn more about how to setup dedicated servers

@Rily The server_log.txt would definitely reflect what could be causing the disconnections so inspect them if your friends still get disconnected. Aside from that, I really have no information/workaround of what could be causing the disconnects. 

Lastly, I don't know if you've seen this already but since you're curious about the specifics about running a dedicated server when it concerns ports. Maybe have a look at the devs' post that details about that aspect of running a dedicated server. (Dedicated Server Settings Guide)

Hopefully, you'll find something you didn't know beforehand in that link I mentioned. Cheers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ealasme said:

Where are all these magical .ini and .lua files supposed to be coming from?? You start a new folder. There's nothing in there. Where am I getting the .ini and .lua files from?!

U can create them urself just create a new .txt document put in what u need for the file. Then SaveAs "yourfile.lua/ini/bat" etc.. and choose under your file name from the dropdown Menu the first option "All Files".

Otherwise just look at this Tutorial and it should answer all ur related questions.

- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635281092

- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=591543858

Greetings

Edited by SenpaiArtorias

Good morning all!

I seem to have gotten nearly everything up and running properly with all of the help and assistance in this forum thread. However, there is just one other thing that I cannot seem to pin down and get working properly.

So my Master server starts up just fine with no issues at all. Wonderful, I can connect to this Master server using the server browser with no issues at all.

However, when I look at the SteamCMD interface for the Caves server, it cannot seem to connect to the Master server, and continuously retries, over and over again, to no avail. See the screenshot below:
e3e2a3e815.png

I apologize if this has already been resolved earlier on in this document. Below are the settings for my Master and Caves server.ini files.

Master server.ini

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11000

[SHARD]
is_master = true

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27018
authentication_port = 8768

Caves server.ini

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11001

[SHARD]
is_master = false
name = Caves

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27019
authentication_port = 8769

My folder structure for the DST_Server
232700c6fa.png

Folder structure for the Caves folder
0eb2f2414f.png

I think this has something to do with the Caves server.ini file, but again I have no idea why it cannot connect to the Master server.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hello @Redfyre, welcome to the forums. Have you given the executable called dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer (located under steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin) permissions through your firewall/antivirus? Or setting that executable to run program as administrator? 

Do I still need internet connection when hosting a local server?

I'm aware of lan_only_cluster and offline_cluster to restrict players access and visibility to LAN only, but can I start/join my server, lets say, without internet connection and Steam set to offline mode?

Edited by SrJardel

I must say, while I adore this game and understand it was an afterthought to even make it as a multiplayer game, but damn this has to be the worst dedicated server software in terms of setup and get to work I have ever seen since the dawn of dedicated servers :o (heck, it was easier to get TCPIP to run and play over over internet in Dos)

Have one bloody setup file take care of everything, (why do we need a server token thing? nothing I ever seen before, copyprotection? won't that suffice from the clients?)

21 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Hello @Redfyre, welcome to the forums. Have you given the executable called dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer (located under steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin) permissions through your firewall/antivirus? Or setting that executable to run program as administrator? 

Good morning @Zillvr,
I followed the setup guide elsewhere in these forums and was actually able to get everything working properly through some basic troubleshooting. So basically, starting over from scratch, using the most up-to-date guide seemed to work! I also had to page through a couple of pages to find a fix for something fairly simple.

I am running into another issue with my servers randomly resetting however. So that is slightly annoying.

From what I have read however, it may be tied to the number of players that I have set for the server to use. So perhaps I can just decrease the number of players and hopefully those random resets will subside.

Thank you for the response though!

Edited by Redfyre

@Mdshadowman the only thing that is a text document is the cluster_token.txt. The .ini files are saved as Configuration Settings. The .bat file is a batch file. So when you enter the necessary text into the notepad and save them as the file name required which would be either .ini, lua, .bat, etc. The method below is how  to save them in their correct file types:

• Copy the necessary text
  • Paste in a notepad
  • Click File
  • Click Save as...
  • Click Save As Type:
  • Pick All Types (*.*)
  • Enter filename with their file type (.ini or .lua or .bat)
  • Save

It should look something like this:

Spoiler

sample.png

Set your folder view options to Detailed so you can see if you've got the correct file type. Shown above is how the Master folder of my dedicated server's folder I just personally named World_1 looks like. The other files above (namely the server_log.txt and server_chat_log.txt auto generates when your server is up). The leveldataoverride.lua is the updated version of the worldgenoverride.lua (which still works btw).

By the way, when you've got the .bat file saved correctly and you double click the .bat file, a command prompt should appear which is the steamcmd program, then after that two server command prompt windows will open (one for the master and one for the caves).

I hope that's clear enough, if not let me know. Good luck, cheers.

Edited by Zillvr