An list of actual/potential bugs

So yeah, for the fact that I have no life really love this game, I went bug hunting for a while, and found a good amount of they during it, some that have to be, and others that may or may not be, and others that are just me being as nitpicky as possible. Shall we begin?

WARNING: ENORMOUS LIST INCOMING!

The "Has to be" bugs:

• Mounting a beefalo while getting spit by the Ewecus will result in you and your animal to be invisible and stuck for the duration of the effect.
19jGXid.png
  • Thulecite walls can't be upgraded/repaired with other thulecite walls, like the other types of walls.
  • Letters with accents will not be in uppercase while speaking as WX-78
BXY6CKU.png
  • Spiky tree's stumps can't be burned by any means, be directly with a torch, or being close to another source of fire.
  • Neither the Ancient Guardian or Rooks are capable of destroying camp fires, getting stuck on them.
QpaCCRb.png
  • Hell, fot that matter, fire camps are basically indestructible, they can't be hammered, things like gunpowder do nothing, and the giants just pass through it.
  • While in his weakest state, Wolfgang will appear to have no mouth and he must scream in his emote animations.
AnUSF56.png
  • if the character ´ is the first one typed in the chat/console, will result in the text being disjointed.
ffvMYOX.png
  • While binding the console toggle button to it's default one, it gets stuck on the console's log itself.
gEjX6Jb.jpg
  • Willow's Bernie will appear to have no face while inactive.
  • A tiny graphical glitch happens sometimes in the craft menu.
qKCZ8VW.png

The "May or may not be" bugs:

• Ornate chests will drop their lot without activating their traps if burned, it's possible to do that with some other chest traps as well (This is in this section because I am currently unable to confirm this at the time).
  • Drying racks while in the process of drying meat will immidiatly drop jerky if burned out. This could very well be intentional, but I must be sure.
  • Willow will have the downwards arrow in her health meter while close to fire even when not taking damage due to her temporary immunity.
  • The flashes of light made by WX-78 while being demaged by water will not come from himself, but from the last place he was.
rdamm9i.png
  • Wolfgang still uses his old portrait from when he did not had the hunger mechanic (Yes, yes, I know this should be called an oversight and not a bug, shhhhhh, shhhhh).
  • I saw on the Don't Starve Wikia page that tallbird eggs that have not been stolen would hatch on spring, spawning smallbirds, never saw that happening on Together.

The "Nitpicky bastard" "bugs":

• The fire layering on camps, is very possible to stand in front of the camp, but still be behind the fire itself. This has been here since the very start of Don't Starve, so I think this is more at the fault of how the game handles fire, than being a graphical glitch.
Ite3GDO.jpg
  • The Luxury Fan, for something that big and capable of extinguish fires around you, is completely silent, no noise at all. This definitly not a bug, but I just find it weird that it has no sound effect.
  • How traps captures spiders and frogs, it looks clunky, with the target walking miles away from the trap and then basically teleporting inside it. It would look far better if they stopped upon the trap does it closing animation.
  • On the very first seconds in the main menu, the character on the right will not do it's idle animation (Yes, I am also aware how stupid it is to me to note that).

Aaaand done, this is all I could find, feel free to tell me to go back to my basement and/or post some bugs that you found yourself that I missed.

Surprise Q&A!

Why did you not posted all of this in the "Bug Tracker" section, which is the actual place for the sort of thing?

There where times that I posted bugs in that section and those topics went completely unnoticied, the times that I posted it the general section, they basically got fixed the very next update, so yeah...

• Developer
The Luxury Fan, for something that big and capable of extinguish fires around you, is completely silent, no noise at all. This definitly not a bug, but I just find it weird that it has no sound effect

Matt might feel otherwise. 

Mounting a beefalo while getting spit by the Ewecus will result in you and your animal to be invisible and stuck for the duration of the effect.

Riding a beefalo to avoid getting pinned would be interesting.

You would make the saddle, to ride a beefalo, to safely kill the ewecus, to get wool, to get the saddle upgrade, the war saddle.

Matt might feel otherwise.

If you swing your arm to throw air to your face you can definitely hear the wind breaking.

Like a whirly fan, but not continuously.

Why did you not posted all of this in the "Bug Tracker" section, which is the actual place for the sort of thing? There where times that I posted bugs in that section and those topics went completely unnoticied, the times that I posted it the general section, they basically got fixed the very next update, so yeah...
Darn, my plan was foiled. 

Riding a beefalo to avoid getting pinned would be interesting.

You would make the saddle, to ride a beefalo, to safely kill the ewecus, to get wool, to get the saddle upgrade, the war saddle.

As far as I know, that is actually what happens. The Ewecus did not spit at me any time I was riding the beefalo, only when I was on the mid action of it, what caused the glitch marked on the list.

The flashes of light made by WX-78 while being demaged by water will not come from himself, but from the last place he was.

This is because, as you said, the flashes don't come from WX. When wet, it emits sparks, which in turn emit light. The sparks don't pick up velocity from WX's movement.

I found another bug: Pigmen and Bunnymen will not speak or have names, except to a player hosting the game through the "host game" button in the client.

Another bug I experienced recently, is that while on a dedicated server, I placed down some stone walls, and I could walk right through them as if they weren't there. I got teleported back to my place repeatedly, so it's just a clientside bug, but it still rather annoying. I haven't tried to replicate it because I'm lazy though, so idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, if burning drying racks to get jerky is a bug, you should make it a feature. It's pretty funny. Just make sure meat is jerked when racks are destroyed in other ways, haha.

Wow, that was subtle, but a legit bug.

Oh, thank god, an confimation. I was starting to think I was just imagining things...

Also, guess what? More stuff!

• Penguin literally takes all bird eggs close to him, not just his own.
  • If I am not mistaken, the tab of a structure that has not been build yet, will have blue colour. But only the structure itself is be blue, not it's tab.
  • C'mon Klei, Don't Starve is the last game I would expect to have things popping up out of nowhere.
JNFyMzx.jpg
XSB0x8G.jpg
  • Also, something that a LOT of people have complained about, but no signal of fixes, is how easily you can lose Chester if you're walking too fast. If you have for example, a Walking Cane while on an road for a long time, say goodbye to him.

EDIT: Just found this out:

XS0HHfh.png

This pig was stuck in his frozen animation, but still acting like it was not affected by it.

• Developer
Also, something that a LOT of people have complained about, but no signal of fixes, is how easily you can lose Chester if you're walking too fast. If you have for example, a Walking Cane while on an road for a long time, say goodbye to him.

He comes back/catches up eventually right?

He comes back/catches up eventually right?

Not always in my experience. Once or twice, I've gone far and fast enough that Chester is left behind. I currently don't know whether he just stands still or if he gets stuck trying to walk into a tree or something. He only ever catches up if I use a wormhole, because he teleports to me, of course. 

Side note: Not being able to bring Chester into caves is not a bug right? I've noticed that, unfortunately, creatures other than the players (and Abigail, I think) don't use cave entrances or exits at all. I assume this is somewhat of an engine limitation, since caves is a separate server from the overworld.

Not always in my experience. Once or twice, I've gone far and fast enough that Chester is left behind. I currently don't know whether he just stands still or if he gets stuck trying to walk into a tree or something. He only ever catches up if I use a wormhole, because he teleports to me, of course. 

Side note: Not being able to bring Chester into caves is not a bug right? I've noticed that, unfortunately, creatures other than the players (and Abigail, I think) don't use cave entrances or exits at all. I assume this is somewhat of an engine limitation, since caves is a separate server from the overworld.

There is also cave chester .)

I thought that might be a thing. Seems kind of annoying though, if you are changing between overworld and caves a lot.

While it is kinda annoying, it is good to make sure that every world will always have a Chester.

Also, another bug on the menu, using the console makes the portal stop it's animation after a while.

• Developer
Also, another bug on the menu, using the console makes the portal stop it's animation after a while.

That's actually a feature. The portal stops animating in anticipation of what console commands you're about to enter. ;)

Another bug/strangeness: log.txt seems to update only when a server is hosted from the in-game menu the first time, and then when the game client is closed. You would think that the log would update after every server hosting/closing, but it seems to only be after the first.

Archived