how do you guys deal with hellhouds?

I have to deal with about 12 or 15 each attack - it's just as easy as it was at 6.

When you hear the audio cue just pick up one meat and drop it in the area you want to fight in; as they start spawning kill them as fast as possible while they're going for the meat.

Works fine for me after multiple attacks this patch.

I generally just throw on my log suit and football helmet and whatever weapon I have, be it a spear or a tentacle spike. Then I stand and fight the horde of hounds that come after me. I generally kill the first hound that shows on the screen as quickly as possible which makes him drop a monster meat, which distracts the other hounds, then I prioritize the hellhounds because for some reason the fire messes with the hound's AI and they just kind of flail about while taking fire damage. The important thing about that is that they are not attacking you during that moment, so it gives you an advantage to press.

Traps work fine. There is a bug where if you set traps and then log/reload, the set traps wont deploy. I have 40+ tooth traps and they trigger fine, provided I reset them every time I log in.

the traps work on everything fine, except hell hounds ?

the traps work on everything fine, except hell hounds ?

No, traps don't trigger at all if they are set and not triggered before you exit the game/reload your save. Every time you enter the game, if you have untriggered traps on the ground, you must pick them up and reset them, or they wont activate when a monster (hound or otherwise) runs over them. It's already a confirmed bug, you can read about it in the bugs section of the forum, or on the wiki.

Hope that helped.

No, traps don't trigger at all if they are set and not triggered before you exit the game/reload your save. Every time you enter the game, if you have untriggered traps on the ground, you must pick them up and reset them, or they wont activate when a monster (hound or otherwise) runs over them. It's already a confirmed bug, you can read about it in the bugs section of the forum, or on the wiki.

Hope that helped.

well im hoping the fix it next update i have a camp full of tooth traps and dont feel like reseting them all

I always bring a couple of meat with me (usually monster meat from past attacks) and then drop it on the ground when I hear the barks. As long as you kill them quickly it's not too hard to deal with them as they usually attack one by one and will go for the meat, allowing you to intercept them.

I have a suggestion...a strategy I use myself. Make a "Hound Cemetery," an area full of Monster Meat most likely gotten from spiders. Hounds will be endlessly distracted, and if you can make it there before they arrive, you can kill them and walk away unscathed. Just don't put it near any pigs!

I have my basecamp by the buffels. When i here the hellhounds comming i put on my armor and equip my spear and wait for them.

When they get to me i run to the buffolees and run around them and wait for a hound to attac one of them and all the buffolos come and help and kill the hellhounds.

I also always run to the Beefalos and let them take out the hounds. Then I come back for the remains. If this happens at night and I don't have a torch handy, I just run around the fire until daylight (if you're lucky they'll fall asleep) then find the beefaloes at first light.

U hear them coming from miles away.

Make sure u have a football helmet and logsuit near u at all times. Either in ur backpack, or in a chest near your camp.When the barking starts u have about 25 seconds but when the barking stops u have about 1,5 second, and u can see them coming towards u from the edges off ur screen, just whack the first couple asap. Hounds will collect the monstermeat first then go after u, so stand close to the killzone and kill them untill more then 2 are actually focused on you. If there are more then 2 start running untill u have max 2 on u (they start barking and u get some distance) whack -> repeat.

Edited by TumTumTum