how do you guys deal with hellhouds?

Exactly, you either need 20ish pieces of meat, or tooth traps and bee mines. It's the only way or you'll be overwhelmed.

Like I said on page 1; I'm on day 289 and it works fine for me without using any traps.

One piece of meat down, kill the guy that gets there first and then repeat.

I have my basecamp by the buffels. When i here the hellhounds comming i put on my armor and equip my spear and wait for them.

When they get to me i run to the buffolees and run around them and wait for a hound to attac one of them and all the buffolos come and help and kill the hellhounds.

This. I just kite the hounds through the Beefalo and inevitably one will bite a beefalo, once that happens all of the beefalo in the area will descend on the hounds and wipe them out. Discovered it on accident more or less my 2nd play through and it works like a charm. I can't speak to how it will work with a pack of 20+(i'm like 30 days in) but I have a LOT of beefalo around me, so I feel safe for now.

Like I said on page 1; I'm on day 289 and it works fine for me without using any traps.

One piece of meat down, kill the guy that gets there first and then repeat.

Then you're incredibly fortunate. Once I get passed day 120ish, they come in droves of 2-3+ and I cant kill them fast enough. I've lived to day 300 twice, and on my current playthrough I'm at 130 or so. I've tried 100 different methods to deal with hounds, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that one piece of meat is not sufficient when 15+ hounds come. You can probably live through it if you're fully armored, but why take the chance when traps are so easy?

This. I just kite the hounds through the Beefalo and inevitably one will bite a beefalo, once that happens all of the beefalo in the area will descend on the hounds and wipe them out. Discovered it on accident more or less my 2nd play through and it works like a charm. I can't speak to how it will work with a pack of 20+(i'm like 30 days in) but I have a LOT of beefalo around me, so I feel safe for now.

That is exactly what i ment with my post (hangs head in shame for all my typos).The biggest pack i had was 6 hounds and it did work with the beefalos. I think one beefalo died but it was still easy.

Then you're incredibly fortunate.

I literally don't see why it's so hard, maybe your game is different to mine? Here's a video example I just recorded, it's 1 minute 26 seconds long;

As you can see I take zero hits - I don't even need to equip armour really, it's just for peace of mind. That tallbird threw me off a bit and I thought about killing him before they came but they arrived quickly (I don't think he aided me in any way though).

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that one piece of meat is not sufficient when 15+ hounds come.

As you can see in the video I put one piece down because I know that the first hound I kill will drop one himself.

The reason I'm saying this is better and simpler than using traps is just because of the wasted resources. 1 meat and some spear durability VS trap materials. If your way works better than what happens in this video though by all means play as you wish.

I literally don't see why it's so hard, maybe your game is different to mine? Here's a video example I just recorded, it's 1 minute 26 seconds long;

As you can see I take zero hits - I don't even need to equip armour really, it's just for peace of mind. That tallbird threw me off a bit and I thought about killing him before they came but they arrived quickly (I don't think he aided me in any way though).

As you can see in the video I put one piece down because I know that the first hound I kill will drop one himself.

First, you are demonstrating a fair bit of skill which not everyone has, and playing with the character who deals double-damage, which makes a huge difference. Nicely done, of course, but does it work with Wilson?

The reason I'm saying this is better and simpler than using traps is just because of the wasted resources. 1 meat and some spear durability VS trap materials. If your way works better than what happens in this video though by all means play as you wish.

Okay, well, that depends on how you measure resources. The ingredients in a tooth trap are: 1 tooth (not only are they free, they deliver), 1 rope (3 grass, they don't deliver, but they are free), and one log (Inexpensive if you hire lumberjacks, extremely inexpensive with access to a Pig King, 1/20th axe [1 flint - non-renewable + 1 twig, cheap as grass] if you don't have any access to pigs at all.)

3 tooth traps kill a hound (I think) and each one is good for 15 uses, so if you only care about what isn't renewable (flint, gold, in my map) that's at worst 100 hounds per flint.

The cost of a spear is: 2 twigs (again, no free delivery, but free), 1 rope (same as above), and 1 flint.

One spear kills 25 hounds, or 50 for Whassisname (sorry. Just can't remember right now.) That's 25-50 hounds per flint. In flint costs, the trap wins. Of course, traps have to be reset which takes time and is really annoying, especially since they have to be reset if you save and return to the game, even if they weren't triggered. Maybe the Devs will give us an RMB reset-in-place option for Tooth traps in the future. Gonna go suggest that now.

Also... Because I don't have a Pig King but I do have lumberpigs, I get probably something like 500-1000 logs per axe instead of 20, so at 500, the return is 2500 hounds per flint.

Mind you, I'm probably not measuring in the currency you would... My idea of playing 10,000 or 1,000,000 days... Well, it would get awfully boring, but it should be possible.

Tooth traps also have a few other advantages: Because you place them in advance, if you are reasonably careful when placing them, they will be away from anything flammable. You don't have to think about that when the hounds are coming, you just run to the safe zone. If you don't have any meat, you can use yourself as the bait for the first hound without getting bitten. They also deal with Spider Queens and Tallbirds, which can be useful when you've got more than one spider queen on your tail. They also (unfortunately) kill Pigs, Rabbits and Spiders, which has the unfortunate effect of requiring the traps to be reset *and* often dropping meat to bait more pigs and spiders into your safe zone. But it gets you more free meat, too.