A system to auto-trade your DST items with game itself

Hey klei,

As time passes, people get more and more common items and we are coming to a stage that no one will ever be interested in trading their elegant item for loads of common items. Also having lotta duplicated items is no fun as I had 4 same shirt at a time and it is also hard to trade too cuz everybody also has that item.

So my suggestion is if klei can make a section ijn the game like garbage o matic 4000 it would be awesome. So people can trade with game itself.. It should have a currency so for example you can get only a single elegant drop for your 25 common items and that drop would be something random in elegant items. This should also be allowed once per week to prevent system abuse as they may wanna trade their elegant item for another elegant item till they get what they want.

What is your opinion about it?

It would have to be a fairly weighted system. The question is whether to base it off of what seem to be current player-set "market" value, or to assign a new standard for item rarities. Either method would enforce a rigid economy and reduce player interaction, so I find it unlikely such a method will be available across all rarities. Perhaps only from Common to Classy and Classy to Spiffy.

A way of trading items inside DST would be nice, but I don't think it should be inside the game world; that seems a little immersion-breaking. I think it should be a 'marketplace' feature accessed from the main menu or the Collection page.

This is actually what I wanted to say.. I don't want some in game machine like a wardobe as well. It should be on the main page.

It would have to be a fairly weighted system. The question is whether to base it off of what seem to be current player-set "market" value, or to assign a new standard for item rarities. Either method would enforce a rigid economy and reduce player interaction, so I find it unlikely such a method will be available across all rarities. Perhaps only from Common to Classy and Classy to Spiffy.

Indeed. As a comparison, Hearthstone adopts an in-game trading system as well. But the rate is ridiculous. You can exchange a common for 5 dust and craft a common with 40 dust. A rare card can exchanged for 25 dust and crafted with 100 dust. Eventually, a legendary card can be crafted with 1600 dust, which is 320 common cards.

The main reason for the ridiculous rate is because Hearthstone needs to make money from players buying card packages so they need to ensure players do not get the cards they want by simply finishing daily tasks. Also, Hearthstone is widely known as a pay-to-win game. While an elegant backpack does not provide a player with in-game advantage, pay-to-get is still the general method to get one. I mean, the odds of a player getting one elegant is small and getting a second one is even smaller. Most players that own multiple elegant bags trade steam gifts and keys for those elegant bags. So the experience to other players who also want elegant bags but cannot afford a steam gift for it is not good.

I think, since Klei is not targeting to make money from the skin drops, the system can be altered in such a way that normal players can get what they want in due time.

One of a similar system I can think of is the trading system in another card collecting game, ShadowEra. Basically, the trading rate is 2:1 when you trade it with the system. Also you get gold by playing the game in the first place, so it's not likely you will get many duplicate cards in the first place. A common card costs somewhere between 150-250 gold while a rarest card costs about 1000 gold. Furthermore, the system is dynamically based on the demand of the market, i.e. the price keeps floating and sometimes certain cards can be out of stock.

So, my suggestion would be:

1. A fair in-game trading rate so that a player can get what he wants (not necessarily elegant bag) in due time.

2.Increase the interaction between skins. Currently, the interaction between skins is not strong. I mean, a black pants might go better with a black glove than a red glove, but that's it. If the game can provide certain 'benefit' when a combination of skins are used, then players will try to collect a set of skins rather than just the rarest skins, i.e. elegant bags at the moment. The 'benefit' could be some special effect, idk, maybe glowing?

3. Increase the number items to reduce duplicate rate and increase the time before a player can get a full collection. Also, this will encourage players to trade what they like instead of just trying to collect one of each item.

But all being said, Klei might start the skin system as an new point of interest to keep players satisfied when they are working on something else, e.g. through the ages. And now ,it seems the solution itself becomes a problem. So I doubt how much effort Klei is planning to put into a serious trading system.

i guess this is not fair for DST. SO you mean 10 common items for a classy item? That is way too expensive.

It is not fair for CSGO either. Anyway this is the BEST solution for feature like this. The problem is too many common items and this is the way! This feature should NOT replace trading AT ALL!!

20-30 commons for Elegant? Seriously? Noone will do this with trading ... in one month there would be too many elegant items dude. This would be ultra cheap way to get to cool stuff and also common for elegant is just wrong even with 50 commons

2.Increase the interaction between skins. Currently, the interaction between skins is not strong. I mean, a black pants might go better with a black glove than a red glove, but that's it. If the game can provide certain 'benefit' when a combination of skins are used, then players will try to collect a set of skins rather than just the rarest skins, i.e. elegant bags at the moment. The 'benefit' could be some special effect, idk, maybe glowing?

3. Increase the number items to reduce duplicate rate and increase the time before a player can get a full collection. Also, this will encourage players to trade what they like instead of just trying to collect one of each item.

Okay, a couple points here:

Regarding point 2, this is what I'm already trying to do.  I wear the common white hand covers despite owning classy driver gloves because I just don't like the driver gloves (too visually cluttered).  I'd likewise rather own a complete collection of spiffy backpacks than any elegant backpacks; I'm only trying to get an elegant backpack right now so I can trade it for WeirdoBob's soul.  If there's any elegant backpack I might actually want it's the very unpopular poop bag.  Why?  To have a clearly-labeled place to store fertilizer next to the farms, that's why.  As for collecting sets, I've just finished assembling a white suspender shirt, green pants and white hand covers.  Klei has been clear they want players to make and pursue their own goals, not 100% completion and chasing after achievements.  If dressing Willow like Fire Luigi isn't reason enough to collect a set of items, I doubt Klei will add some kind of special effect to motivate people.

Regarding point 3, I've been trying to trade for what I like.  I don't want a collection of all the items; that's what makes it easy for me to offer most of what I have to try to get a smallbird satchel for WeirdoBob.  However I'm still getting four commons I don't want each week and hardly anyone will accept those for rarer items, so I'm quickly accumulating a complete set anyway.

But yes, we definitely need a system to convert unwanted commons into rarer items, or pulverize them to make elemental-themed pasta dishes, or something.  The current system is essentially a beta-branch Ponzi scheme: the only value common items have is to trade them to new players who don't have very many items yet, but they'll quickly have a bucket-o-common items and need to find even more new players to trade them to.

It is not fair for CSGO either. Anyway this is the BEST solution for feature like this. The problem is too many common items and this is the way! This feature should NOT replace trading AT ALL!!

20-30 commons for Elegant? Seriously? Noone will do this with trading ... in one month there would be too many elegant items dude. This would be ultra cheap way to get to cool stuff and also common for elegant is just wrong even with 50 commons

I got 41 items and none is elegant. Best was spiffy till 2 days ago. Now there is a distinguished item. Playing the game since gifts are implemented.

The thing elegant item is not going to be the rarest item so 1.5 months of playing is not too bad to get an elegant item. 50 item means u gotta wait 3 months as not much people would play that long.

Cuz if there would not be any kinda thing like this, someone may keep playing a year and a half and still does not get an elegant item and this is not fair as someone who is really lucky can buy the game and get 4 elegants in the first week.

I got 41 items and none is elegant. Best was spiffy till 2 days ago. Now there is a distinguished item. Playing the game since gifts are implemented.

The thing elegant item is not going to be the rarest item so 1.5 months of playing is not too bad to get an elegant item. 50 item means u gotta wait 3 months as not much people would play that long.

Cuz if there would not be any kinda thing like this, someone may keep playing a year and a half and still does not get an elegant item and this is not fair as someone who is really lucky can buy the game and get 4 elegants in the first week.

Like in CSGO:

This is about getting rid of items you don't care/want and not about getting the best item in game for stuff that is crap to you.

Anyway i don't think this is good idea one way or another. This would be only another way that people can abuse the system. We have too much idlers, godmoders and people with 37615284 accounts!!!

Like in CSGO:

This is about getting rid of items you don't care/want and not about getting the best item in game for stuff that is crap to you.

Anyway i don't think this is good idea one way or another. This would be only another way that people can abuse the system. We have too much idlers, godmoders and people with 37615284 accounts!!!

Not too many. Only a few. If they dont have item and if they can only trade once per week I dont see any possibility to abuse the system. Also those points are different. Klei should find a solution for idlers, godmoders. They are already in the game and that thing and this one has no relation. You should complain about it in another topic and ask klei to find a solution. I am not an idler but i dont get anything good and if I dont get anything in a year of gameplay this is not fair in my book.

Yes it is getting rid of items cuz as well as chance, game hours should be important too. If someone plays 3000 hours after gifts and cannot get anything better than spiffy this is not fair.

Trading is nothing at the moment.. I would never trade any of my spiffy item for any amount of commons. Same for my classy and others.. This system would not finish trading as no one wanna play gamble to get a different elegant item if they already have lotta elegant item as they may get a duplicated item in the end. So they will simply trade with friends to get what is missing in their inventory.

I do not see any better solution as in either case I would never trade none of my item with something worse than it...

Also having 25 items is not really easy to gather as not everyone plays the game constantly. So as I said, idlers are currently a problem too and that thing will cause a problem in any system. They should already be solved..

Tbh, this system will allow people with more game hours to get better items and this is the one which is fair if you ask me.

Not too many. Only a few. If they dont have item and if they can only trade once per week I dont see any possibility to abuse the system. Also those points are different. Klei should find a solution for idlers, godmoders. They are already in the game and that thing and this one has no relation. You should complain about it in another topic and ask klei to find a solution. I am not an idler but i dont get anything good and if I dont get anything in a year of gameplay this is not fair in my book.

Yes it is getting rid of items cuz as well as chance, game hours should be important too. If someone plays 3000 hours after gifts and cannot get anything better than spiffy this is not fair.

Trading is nothing at the moment.. I would never trade any of my spiffy item for any amount of commons. Same for my classy and others.. This system would not finish trading as no one wanna play gamble to get a different elegant item if they already have lotta elegant item as they may get a duplicated item in the end. So they will simply trade with friends to get what is missing in their inventory.

I do not see any better solution as in either case I would never trade none of my item with something worse than it...

Also having 25 items is not really easy to gather as not everyone plays the game constantly. So as I said, idlers are currently a problem too and that thing will cause a problem in any system. They should already be solved..

Tbh, this system will allow people with more game hours to get better items and this is the one which is fair if you ask me.

I think what t0panka means is that if the in-game trading system is released before there is a solution to idlers/godmoders, then the system can be abused by them. Given that Klei hasn't found a solution to that, that factor should be taken into consideration if they are to implement an in-game trading system now. But if that problem is solved, then I guess we are all good to implement an in-game trading system.

Regarding the 'fair' you are talking about, I believe Klei has not coded anything to be specifically mean to you. I guess more than 90% of players has not got an elegant drop so far. And even if you run into someone that has got an elegant drop while you haven't, thats just statistics. An in-game trading system might provide you a chance to trade commons for elegant, but even at that time, the random statistics still exists. I am not sure whether you would feel it's fair that you will need to trade dozens of your common drops to get an elegant one while some others happen to get an elegant drop by luck.

And trading system is not nothing at this moment. The simplest example is that if A has 2 brown vests while B has 2 green vests, then both A and B would like to trade. Also, for those who takes the look of a skin more than the rarity of a skin, it is also possible to see a common for classy trade, not to mention 2 common for 1 classy. Plus, you cant say for the majority that they would not trade rarer items for less rare items just because you do.

In conclusion, I think you are not satisfied with the current dropping system because it is based on random luck, which you can do nothing with, rather than the amount of play time, which you can do your best to ensure 4 drops a week. But do note, that a lot of players who are currently active in the game do play enough time to get 4 drops a week, so even if the dropping system is modified as you suggested to be based on play time, you dont really have an advantage over others, in which aspect, is the same to the current dropping system.

Thanks to mods, "idlers and godmoders" won't go away.

Unless you VAC ban people that modify the game files, remove the game console, and you make people with mods not receive gifts.

Also you have to stop people from playing on maps with permanent autumn, permanent day, no hounds, no giants, with berries, carrrots, and all resources amped up to the max for gifts with minimal effort. So no gifts on world overrides.

But any of the above won't happen. It's not fair for other people that enjoy the game with console, mods, and custom worlds.

Another idea would be to receive gifts on servers hosted by Klei. But there's just too many people, and those servers would be chaotic, full of people fighting and burning each others stuff.

"Everybody wants rare items. If everybody got rare items then they wouldn't be rare."

I don't think people here want rare stuff just because it's rare, but because they want specific stuff for their favorite character.

So instead of having a million different common shirts, make a medium sized skin pool and unlock it to everybody.

Either this or we go down the path of buying the stuff you want with money.

Hmm the more i think about it the more im ok with system that is now for drops. YES i didnt get anything better than 1 spiffy rucksack since day one and i play a lot so im getting all drops but at least those elegant items are still rare. Now when the mighty gods in Klei would sacrifice little lamb and i get some better drop i would be happy about it. We will eventually get them as drop or with trading.

As DARKXERO said Klei wont do anything about idlers and godmoders for obvious reason and ALSO i dont know any other game that is doing something about this so lets not be envy about people with lot of rare items ... we are using only 3-4 items from all our drops anyway so you dont need all elegant backpacks. Also as i said in other threads when you wear armor, vest, raincoat or anything else you dont see your rare clothes :D and with Krampus sacks your elegant backpacks are useless too .)

plz KLEI add more skins for items that we can make and krampus sack :p

I'm all for the x number of commons for 1 classy, and so on, system (once a week of course to control abuse). I have too many red tshirts and stuff that other people just do not want and I would much rather have duplicate classies, as they are easier to trade, than a whole bunch of duplicate commons. Klei plz, give us a way to get rid of our dupes

Archived