Caves Beta - November 2nd Update

• Developer

The work continues! Fortunately, we're powered by the sugar of a very successful halloween.  :victorious:

Just continuing to crank on bugs, here's what we've got:

Build Number: 154987 155135

Changes

• Some creatures will panic if their homes are on fire.

Bug Fixes:

• Nightmaremonkeys now attack properly.

• Creatures -- including bees -- should no longer re-enter their homes when they are on fire.

• Fixed some connectivity issues with offline dedicated servers.

• Player joined announcements will now show up for players connecting directly into caves from a previous session.

• Kick and ban commands will now work properly across shards.

More Bug Fixes:

• Thanks to the illuminating power of literacy, Applied Horticulture no longer grows withered plants in the dark.

• Cave lights will no longer block placement.

• Skin announcements will now show up for players on all shards.

• Fixed crash when regenerating a caves world.

As always, you can get in on the fun by following the instructions here:

http://forums.kleien...ta/#entry673404

Now go give a friend some of that taffy and honey-nuggets you've got cooked up... you can't eat that all yourself, right?

The work continues! Fortunately, we're powered by the sugar of a very successful halloween.  :victorious:

Build Number: 154987 

Changes

Bug Fixes:

• Creatures -- including bees -- should no longer re-enter their homes when they are on fire.

• Player joined announcements will now show up for players connecting directly into caves from a previous session.

Now go give a friend some of that taffy and honey-nuggets you've got cooked up... you can't eat that all yourself, right?

I confirmed that server crashes only happen due to cave server reset. After reset somehow it fails to reconnect... This thing also happens with c_regenerateworld() command.

It keeps happening and I cant even do anything about it. I wrote a script to restart server when it happens but this is really frustrating.. I did not really understand the problem here. Here my system usage when server restarts caves server and disconnects. After this first time world generation I dont experience any crash until next cave reset.

top - 02:58:50 up 13:03,  3 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.34, 0.32

Tasks: 116 total,   3 running, 111 sleeping,   2 stopped,   0 zombie

%Cpu(s): 14.9 us,  6.6 sy,  0.0 ni, 78.5 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st

KiB Mem:   7982488 total,  1254064 used,  6728424 free,    33372 buffers

KiB Swap:        0 total,        0 used,        0 free.   447288 cached Mem

log49overworld.txt

log46cave.txt

I've been following this forum for awhile now and I see the regular update posts and so I HAVE to wonder... are you at all working on implementing the caves content into the game in general, or just working on dedicated servers issues? 'Cause I hope it won't go so far as making us all run/join dedicated servers, if we ever want the caves experience in DST.

Build Number: 154987 

Changes

Bug Fixes:

I completely deleted the server files and replaced with my backup.tar file and still problem persists...

Also I tried to reproduce same thing in one of the professional server that has an advert in this forums. Died 4 times in caves and I got disconnected while server was trying to regenerate world in all attempts and then successfully reconnect after being kicked out of the server. I guess they wrote some kind of script to restart caves server maybe although I am not really sure... I have a script too but my script restarts both server which disconnects all players (because it restarts both servers after an announcement). For my server, I restarted cave server manually after server crash upon first world gen and it can connect via this method. I should change my crash script in that way for now to fix the issue for my server because my server is a survival server and it resets too frequently. I hope its not really due to my system...

Hi,

so i have same problem with @PolarBeer,

server cave crash all times when world is generate again when player die

so i have tested two times and server still crash when he try to generate new world

i have found also some errors on my system linux whith this crash:

Nov  3 10:58:32 ks210204 kernel: [4521684.903231] dontstarve_dedi[30274]: segfault at 1c ip 00000000081d507b sp 00000000ffcf2f90 error 6 in dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer[8048000+36c000]Nov  3 11:06:27 ks210204 kernel: [4522159.654326] dontstarve_dedi[31017]: segfault at 1c ip 00000000081d507b sp 00000000ffc9c1a0 error 6 in dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer[8048000+36c000]

so i don't know if that's same for admin on windows server?

or it's only on linux, someone can have windows server for test?

log.txt

@Ipsquiggle,@ToNiO55

So I got the same system log error for Linux as ToniO.. I guess ToniO is running the server in Debian and mine is Ubuntu as I mentioned. here is my syslog error.

Nov  3 05:24:43 DSTmultilayer kernel: [55779.864243] dontstarve_dedi[7391]: segfault at 1c ip 00000000081d507b sp 00000000ff8cd3b0 error 6 in dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer[8048000+36c000]

I've been following this forum for awhile now and I see the regular update posts and so I HAVE to wonder... are you at all working on implementing the caves content into the game in general, or just working on dedicated servers issues? 'Cause I hope it won't go so far as making us all run/join dedicated servers, if we ever want the caves experience in DST.

well first dedicated server problems must be fixed and understood as a whole to implement same ideas to player hosted server. It will eventually be there but you need to be a bit patient since this is not a complete game and still too many bugs out there to be fixed.. I want to run a player hosted server with caves too but there are a lot of bugs out there to be fixed both with game play and servers. (connection, migration, independent reset etc.. All new update may cause another issue.. They fix pigs in caves but that causes pigs to behave awkward at another place. Same for dedic server issues) Player hosted server will have the similar logic I guess once they are comfortable with dedic servers it will be easy to implement.

So while they are working on dedic servers, they are actually understanding how to implement similar ideas to player hosted servers. Give them some time and it will be awesome.

well first dedicated server problems must be fixed and understood as a whole to implement same ideas to player hosted server. It will eventually be there but you need to be a bit patient since this is not a complete game and still too many bugs out there to be fixed.. I want to run a player hosted server with caves too but there are a lot of bugs out there to be fixed both with game play and servers. (connection, migration, independent reset etc.. All new update may cause another issue.. They fix pigs in caves but that causes pigs to behave awkward at another place. Same for dedic server issues) Player hosted server will have the similar logic I guess once they are comfortable with dedic servers it will be easy to implement.

So while they are working on dedic servers, they are actually understanding how to implement similar ideas to player hosted servers. Give them some time and it will be awesome.

I understand that - it needs more testing and it was easier to make it on dedicated servers, as it was implied in one of their latest broadcasts. I'm only worried that Klei might never release caves for normal hosted servers. And fear of updates causing more issues shouldn't be a thing in my opinion, it even happens to large companies - Blizzard comes to mind.

So far they have revealed that they will not be releasing *new* content in patches or small chunks, but want to do it all together, because again - it might be easier or with a smaller chance for other conflicts.

My question really is: will us scrubs who can't run dedicated servers or don't want to join random people's dedicated servers be able to enjoy the awesomeness that is caves and customization at any point in the future, since there has been a tendency of developers leaving games in early access/beta in the recent years.

I do love this game and Klei's work so far, and this post should not be taken as criticism, but rather concern about where things are going.

My question really is: will us scrubs who can't run dedicated servers or don't want to join random people's dedicated servers be able to enjoy the awesomeness that is caves and customization at any point in the future, since there has been a tendency of developers leaving games in early access/beta in the recent years.

Well - anyone who bought the game can run the dedicated server software for themselves and their friends (e.g. on their local machine) plus it's not exactly rocket science to set it up either ;)

Well - anyone who bought the game can run the dedicated server software for themselves and their friends (e.g. on their local machine) plus it's not exactly rocket science to set it up either ;)

That's not a long term fix is it? Plus, I'm sure it's gonna work great on my 5-year old laptop! ;)

I understand that - it needs more testing and it was easier to make it on dedicated servers, as it was implied in one of their latest broadcasts. I'm only worried that Klei might never release caves for normal hosted servers. And fear of updates causing more issues shouldn't be a thing in my opinion, it even happens to large companies - Blizzard comes to mind.

So far they have revealed that they will not be releasing *new* content in patches or small chunks, but want to do it all together, because again - it might be easier or with a smaller chance for other conflicts.

I do love this game and Klei's work so far, and this post should not be taken as criticism, but rather concern about where things are going.

There is a lot of progress for dedicated servers. Also devs told us eventually it is coming there. Yeah it took a bit more than expected but it will be there for sure. Also dedicated server set up is really easy. Everyone who can download steam, open an account and buy games and play can do it.. I know there is bunch of text out there that describes how to set up but all you have to do is to download steamcmd and after that from that steamcmd console (pretty much works like your normal steam program to download and play games..) download the server... Put your server_token number as explained. Configure couple of files and it is ready..

Once you are comfortable with normal server setup, all you have to do is to manipulate some files copy paste, configure as described and run the cave server with master server. That's it.

@Ipsquiggle, @PeterA, I haven't received any clothing items in the paste couple days (I think it's been almost a week); I only bring this up because my wife received two clothing items, back to back, within 15 minutes of each other last night.

The last item I received was either the 'Classy Tweed Waistecoat' or the 'Blue Lumberjack Shirt'; both items would have been received last week sometime. We spent 4-6 hours playing Sunday and another 1-2 hours playing last night.

Regards,

Kzisor/Ysovuka

log.txt

That's not a long term fix is it? Plus, I'm sure it's gonna work great on my 5-year old laptop! ;)

It's working amazing on my 6year old one tho. Otherwise ask the person you are playing with to host it. Just make sure that you put the priority to high on both the game itself plus the servers in Windows task manager.

• Developer

@PolarBeer, @ToNiO55, thanks for posting the segfaults. We have had this crash happen once on a windows machine as well, but it's been very elusive for us so far. Thanks for providing your information! We're gonna track it down...

Cant haunt anything in caves.... :(   Reducing OP haunt mechanics continues.

Ack, missed that entire system. Thanks for noticing...

As other people have mentioned, the technical challenges for getting caves going on the dedicated servers lead in to the challenges for self-hosted servers. We're actually working on the self-hosted servers at this moment as well, and we should have something to show soon!

As other people have mentioned, the technical challenges for getting caves going on the dedicated servers lead in to the challenges for self-hosted servers. We're actually working on the self-hosted servers at this moment as well, and we should have something to show soon!

This certainly makes me feel absolutely delighted, thanks!

• Developer
@Ipsquiggle, @PeterA, I haven't received any clothing items in the paste couple days (I think it's been almost a week); I only bring this up because my wife received two clothing items, back to back, within 15 minutes of each other last night.   The last item I received was either the 'Classy Tweed Waistecoat' or the 'Blue Lumberjack Shirt'; both items would have been received last week sometime. We spent 4-6 hours playing Sunday and another 1-2 hours playing last night.

I'll look into this. Thanks for reporting. 

• Developer

A small hotfix just went out, r155135. It contains the following:

Bug Fixes:

• Thanks to the illuminating power of literacy, Applied Horticulture no longer grows withered plants in the dark.

• Cave lights will no longer block placement.

• Skin announcements will now show up for players on all shards.

• Fixed crash when regenerating a caves world.

Archived