Caves Beta - October 21st Update

• Developer

Did'ja hear? We have a new Prime Minister up here in Canada! (I voted for Robert Borden!) Yay democracy!

That aside, we've been working on a bunch of connection issues and improving the NAT situation, please let us know what still isn't working.

Build number: 153581

Changes

• Portals automatically relink on world connect by default

• Self inspect button now has character specific portraits

• New tags on fancy backpacks show up if you have received the item since the last time you made a backpack

• New artwork for new tags on items in wardrobe and crafting menu

• Players will be disconnected from online servers after a long period of inactivity so AFK ghosts will no longer hold server slots.

Bug Fixes

• Automatic token renewal should prevent token errors

• Ensure a multiplayer portal is always added by worldgen

• Fixed crash on character select screen

• Self inspection screen scales properly when HUD size is changed
  • Fixed a bug where Steam’s NAT traversal was being used in some situations where it was not necessary.

As always, if you want to get in on this, check out the instructions:

http://forums.kleien...ta/#entry673404

:yaypigs: Ipsquiggle for PM!  :happypigs:

• Players will be disconnected from online servers after a long period of inactivity

I'm guessing this is to discourage people from going afk godmode for Loot right? I mean it is sorta cheating so I understand why. Rip afk life though

I see the invite from steam command is still not working, I can no longer send invites to my friends via steam to join my listen server. They have to find me on the server list now. Is this because of all the new nat code?

This has probably been brought up before but I was wondering if the whole "world restart upon death" thing is supposed to be seperate between caves and overworld, i mean if you have 5 people in the caves and 1 guy dies up top the overworld resets and the 5 guys come up to all their stuff being deleted. Is this something that's going to be changed or is it just how it has to be?

• Developer

I'm guessing this is to discourage people from going afk godmode for Loot right? I mean it is sorta cheating so I understand why. Rip afk life though

Actually, it's a longstanding feature we've been meaning to get in, to prevent ghost idlers on servers without admins on them. There are definitely other side effects, but that's the main purpose.

This has probably been brought up before but I was wondering if the whole "world restart upon death" thing is supposed to be seperate between caves and overworld, i mean if you have 5 people in the caves and 1 guy dies up top the overworld resets and the 5 guys come up to all their stuff being deleted. Is this something that's going to be changed or is it just how it has to be?

These will be unified in the near future so that it behaves like a single server.

@Ipsquiggle, Summer temperature is no longer working on Caves Beta branch. We went an entire summer without something catching on fire, needing a thermal stone, etc. It was exactly like Autumn.

Thanks for reporting this. Just to make sure, this was on a normal overworld?

I see the invite from steam command is still not working, I can no longer send invites to my friends via steam to join my listen server. They have to find me on the server list now. Is this because of all the new nat code?

Yes, the NAT code has altered this, we're working on improving it still.

Wrong, it says "Online servers" and "prevent afk ghosts from flooding the server"

I'm still afking in my script testing server, and I still get gifts accordingly.  It's clearly just to prevent servers from getting flooded with AFK players sitting around as ghosts doing nothing productive but cluttering up the server capacity.

Also it's not cheating, you get gifts from playing the game, no matter what way you are.  It's not like people afking on godmode is going to get any more or less gifts than players playing actively, there still appears to be a daily limit of some kind.

Hi again!

I'm the guy that had issues connecting and hosting servers with the same machine i play with (Windows 7).

With this new update the overworld server works now (well done!), the servers connect to each other, but migrating to caves does not work for me or for others (Migration failed, code 163).

Please find attached the server logs from the last session and settings.ini files.

ow_log.txt

ow_settings.ini

cv_log.txt

cv_settings.ini

• Developer

@Ipsquiggle, normal overworld with mods, but no mods change how temperature works.

I was unable to replicate this. In the height of summer, if you print(TheWorld.components.worldtemperature:GetDebugString()) does it show an expected value (70-90ish)?

So I'm getting a migration failed (163) when anyone other than me tries to go to the caves. Does anyone know what may cause this, and how to fix it?

Also @sg1aprophis, @keivi,  We're still hunting this one down. We're going to be adding in a lot more log information which should help us track it down, stay tuned.

@Ipsquiggle

I want nat_traversal = false as option in settings.ini while nat_traversal = true is default.

I don't wanna use steam p2p network, I wanna just open my port.

It should use a direct connection where possible, but then automatically fall back to the NAT. Are your ports open, but you're still seeing NAT happening? (We're currently working to improve the reliability of this, but it may work for you already.)

Archived