Tactics to Kill Different Monsters

Try to avoid troll / flame posts... (I know this is hard for some people)

If you have different tactics for killing various monsters / animals in the game discuss them here.  Here's a video on how to kill some of the more common things.

TURN OFF MOVEMENT PREDICTION TO HUNT

press "~"

ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false)

Press Enter

It's alive... IT'S ALIVE!! THIS THREAD IS ALIVE!! IT LIVES!!

Well, I guess you could consider those tactics as "Don't Starve: X-STREAM" Where the conventional is shunned and jack-donkey-ing things is the way to go.

Want to keep warm in winter? SET A FOREST ON FIRE!

Want to go insane to farm nightmare fuel? DANCE WITH A TENTACLE!!

O__O

So... Your original thread gets locked, and then you put up another thread which is the same thing?

I'm sorry if I'm being rude, and I'm not a part in whatever "Army" you say Flare "has" but this is seriously childish.

Hey man don't hate, appreciate! Is one more forumn topic really going to ruin your entire day?

Does calling someone childish do anything good for you or anyone else?

Seems to me that since his last forumn thread got locked, he made a new one so he could invite constructive discussion on the fighting mechanics of the game, since you may no longer reply to the other one.

As for this controversy or whatever for disableing movement prediction:

It's a thing that is in the game. It hasn't ben removed yet. Players are allowed to do it, because it exists and doesn't require hacks to enable, just a simple console command.

It just so happens that having to go all the way to the console makes it look all hidden and forbidden and there doesn't look like theres official Klei guys telling you to do it, but that doesn't mean they're telling you not to do it, or the feature would be removed. Though keep in mind this is a beta and it can be removed.

So, for now, I consider it a totally legit thing to do, even if it gives you an edge over people who are clueless of it's existence. 

Welcome to the internet where trolls and arguments are prevailant and only YOU have the choice to either start an argument or ignore the trolls and arguments, and spread kindness nice words to everyone!!!

:yaypigs:   :wilson_flower:

Thank you for your lovely video, I never thought you could actually hit tentacles until now! :o

So, if I get this video correctly, just listen to the wiki and do what it says, has common sense and kite, and as long as ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false) you'll most likely win?  Boy, how unique.  This is a real time to be alive guys. 

Basically what I'm saying is people know the conventional methods already, and if they're specifically looking for them they can go to the wiki.  It's like if I made a thread about the best crockpot recipes.  You could find the general information somewhere better, like the wiki.  Sure, people would have the same agruement ogre and over again, but the thread wouldn't really produce anything.  It would just be useless.

Now, I now you really like sharing combat knowledge, but we already saw where the thread went and we know what's going to happen to this one, too.  It serves no purpose other than to rekindle the fire.  Is it a bad topic?  No.  It's just that it's been touched upon and it doesn't bring anything new to the fourms.  It would be better if you brought up another topic, or perhaps avoided the parts people reacted badly to and profit with a friendly, calm topic which flows fluently and gives fourm viewers something to enjoy.

If you asked me how I would do a topic like this one, for example, I would stick the main post closer to the topic.  I would ask people, "Do YOU guys have unique or different ideas that you feel are unique?  Post them below!"  I would then convey that idea into a simple thread post. I feel that would create a unique thread with folks sharing their different and personal concepts with others, and folks could leave friendly comments on others ideas and maybe improve them some as well.  The way this is currently set up does state what's it about, but it does include a guideline which put's fourmgoers inside a box.  Including anything about ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false) usually stirs people as well, as we all know it's use and it's honestly not something always needed to be flaunted in combat-related topics.  You immediately put some folks inside a bad mindset right from the get-go which always leads to a mini flame war than anything productive.  Also, it's not always the best idea to open a fourm post with the same topic that one which was closed used.  If the mods had to close it, clearly it just makes trouble.

Simply put, have some variance, try something unique in your fourm posts.  Nobody likes listening to the same record over and over, people want to hear something new and exciting!  So maybe next time ya'll can give it a try.

Because I rarely play the beefier characters (read Wolfgang and Wigfrid) I usually avoid fights when possible, or get someone else to do it for me (as in mobs). I think Wilson's greatest strength is really the player's greatest strength, i.e. innovation. Why take on an army of spiders when you can kite them into those killer bee hives nearby? Why fight a tree guard when you can have those pigs punch him to death for you, and get some free meat in the process!

Or just play wicker bottom and put everything to sleep all the time I suppose. But that's so boooooring. Who wants to be boring like that? Lame people that's who.

Because I rarely play the beefier characters (read Wolfgang and Wigfrid) I usually avoid fights when possible, or get someone else to do it for me (as in mobs). I think Wilson's greatest strength is really the player's greatest strength, i.e. innovation. Why take on an army of spiders when you can kite them into those killer bee hives nearby? Why fight a tree guard when you can have those pigs punch him to death for you, and get some free meat in the process!

Or just play wicker bottom and put everything to sleep all the time I suppose. But that's so boooooring. Who wants to be boring like that? Lame people that's who.

That very well describes what different characters are for. Nontheless I think it's sad that the video features Wigfrid and not Wilson/Willow/etc. since everybody has to fight something at some point.

Also, Willhelma is not for lame people, but for people who prefer to rush everything. Just think about it: You get a science bonus but can only eat fresh food, additionally sleep is not a way to regenerate your stats. It effectively forces you to plot a strategy that gets you as much useful gear as soon as possible.

Webber is pretty good at killing stuff with his spider army, but he tends to fall apart trying to fight a mob that can AoE such as DC. For DC I try to lure it into a swamp if I haven't planned ahead enough to have a load of Treeguards somewhere; or if there are about 3 or more of us we just beat him down and hope we don't get hounds while we're recovering. 

On a side note: It's really bad that Webber can't sick his spiders on stuff from afar like in single player. What's up with that? 

you walk into the thing

then the thing tries to hit you

but lo!

you move away from the thing

well damn now the thing cant hit you

but wait

if you go to hit the thing after he misses you

well shucks you can hit the thing during his recovery frames

and bam there you are

hitting the thing

when he can't hit you

remember to move away from the thing

after you hit the thing

so he can't hit you again

you walk into the thing

but lo!

but wait

and bam there you are

hitting the thing

when he can't hit you

after you hit the thing

It's not actually as obvious to new players as you make it sound, so that was slightly patronising to them. Even if it was directed at the OP who is an experienced player, many who will read this sort of post won't be experienced. It's fine for you 2 to disagree or even want to argue but try to take care not to insult or offend newer players, who may very well use the knowledge the OP is giving. Just to be clear, I'm not taking a side here, I'm just trying to discourage things that may make inexperienced players feel inadequate. 

My opinion for the newer players: Kiting isn't a lot of fun in such a rich game with so many possibilities. What I would suggest to newer players is to try and use your environment and your wide range of inventions! There is pretty much always a way to kill something with your mind, instead of a big stick.I assure you that you'll enjoy it more.  

Why kill spiders when you can trap them?

Why run head first into a chess piece when pigs will do a better job? 

Why attack Deerclops when tentacles and treeguards can do it for you? 

And so on... 

Check the wiki; there are some really inventive ways to kill things. 

I didn't want to post this but seriously it's getting to a point where anything is being said that sounds "trollish" is getting reported. Most of us active forum users have been playing this game since day 1 and obviously we want to see more "inventive" ways of killing, rather than the conventional hack and run method shown here BUT there are many new people coming on board so please allow them to enjoy and learn what TrueAlphaOmega is posting.

Basically if you find the content here boring then move to another topic, it would be a shame if this thread gets locked for the same reasons as the other one and basic survival demonstrations like this are held back from anyone new to the game.

Thanks guys.

To OP, is this possible without the attack-spam-macro?

(Just curious because I don't kite much except for koalephants. I have major lag so I tank things instead.)

I don't use the macro and I can kite most things; maybe not with the max amount of hits but certainly doing the job without taking damage. I play on a dedicated server hosted in my country, I have a fairly decent internet connection and a beefy computer. I'm not sure which of those is the biggest factor, but I don't struggle much. I tend to get 1 hit less each attack than I would on single player. 

Note: I can not kite DC on don't starve together, nor would I. I'm not sure it's lag, but he always seems to hit me, plus 1 hit per attack would take forever to take him down on DST. 

I don't use the macro and I can kite most things; maybe not with the max amount of hits but certainly doing the job without taking damage. I play on a dedicated server hosted in my country, I have a fairly decent internet connection and a beefy computer. I'm not sure which of those is the biggest factor, but I don't struggle much. I tend to get 1 hit less each attack than I would on single player. 

Note: I can not kite DC on don't starve together, nor would I. I'm not sure it's lag, but he always seems to hit me, plus 1 hit per attack would take forever to take him down on DST. 

Your own pc specs won't matter much (at least not as much as the host specs or your conn).

I can kite most things in single player but the lag in multi... *sigh* Maybe once a month the heavens open and up and the stars align to give me a decent connection and I can kite tentacles and clockworks in DST. But just like you, I have to correct the timing. Maybe shave off a hit or two to compensate.

I guess OP's post is still useful for DST newcomers who aren't familiar with kiting.

My opinion for the newer players: Kiting isn't a lot of fun in such a rich game with so many possibilities. What I would suggest to newer players is to try and use your environment and your wide range of inventions! There is pretty much always a way to kill something with your mind, instead of a big stick.I assure you that you'll enjoy it more.  

While that is true, Kiting is the best method. Ranged Combat comes much later, so lots of players will experience kiting before they get their hands on a blow dart or a boomerang. 

It's not actually as obvious to new players as you make it sound, so that was slightly patronising to them. Even if it was directed at the OP who is an experienced player, many who will read this sort of post won't be experienced. It's fine for you 2 to disagree or even want to argue but try to take care not to insult or offend newer players, who may very well use the knowledge the OP is giving. Just to be clear, I'm not taking a side here, I'm just trying to discourage things that may make inexperienced players feel inadequate. 

And so on... 

Check the wiki; there are some really inventive ways to kill things. 

I was just trying to demonstrate how to fight 99% of the games creatures in a somewhat comical manner. Sorry.

Really great video! Thx

Dragonfly: Darksword + Darkarmor + some Helmet + Wigfrid = no losing health even if you tank; just run away craft more of these weapons and armor, fight spiders for gland or healing salve and regeneration

Deerclops: Tank the deerclops up to 2 hits (avoid every 3rd hit, since it will freeze you), with 3 armors, 1 good weapon and some healing items, the giant is not a problem, even alone.

Bearger/Moose: Tank or kite, like you want. When its going about smashing your weapon away, click on your weapon to unequip it, wait after that attack, equip and continue to hit

Other player: learn from them, do what they do just better ;-)

While that is true, Kiting is the best method. Ranged Combat comes much later, so lots of players will experience kiting before they get their hands on a blow dart or a boomerang. 

I'll agree that kiting is often the most efficient strategy for a seasoned player that is used to doing this, otherwise it can be quite costly early game when replenishing health and making new armor isn't quite as easy (again, unless you're a seasoned player). But ranged weapons are a very small part of what I'm talking about. As a newb in single player way back when, I had no idea how to effectively kite or even had any idea it existed, plus it was a while before I even started looking at forums and the wiki was still very fresh. I based the foundation of my strategy for combat on getting one beasty to kill another beasty, and I very rarely was at a point where I thought I needed to hit stuff; generally just the Koala. Beefalo handle all the early Hounds, Treeguards and tentacles handle early giants, traps take care of spiders; these things can easy take care of everything long enough for you to get blow darts, gunpowder, trap fields etc. 

I was just trying to demonstrate how to fight 99% of the games creatures in a somewhat comical manner. Sorry.

Sorry mate, my mistake. I thought it was a jibe at the OP as though he pointed out the obvious. 

Often times, it's faster, more resource efficient and more convenient to take out bad dads yourself wonce you've gotten combat down. Time is a resource, never forget that.

you walk into the thing

but lo!

but wait

and bam there you are

hitting the thing

when he can't hit you

after you hit the thing

I mean, what is this? Why isn't everyone cringing with rage at the thought that this is true. This ridiculousness is our PvE.

The thing should be able to grab a shotgun and fill your ass with pellets the moment you run away like a pansy.

I mean, what is this? Why isn't everyone cringing with rage at the thought that this is true. This ridiculousness is our PvE.

The thing should be able to grab a shotgun and fill your ass with pellets the moment you run away like a pansy.

Hitting something and then moving out of the way before it can hit you back isn't exactly an uncommon method of fighting things.

This ridiculousness is generally how I handled most of my RL PvP in my youngster days too.  And not once was I filled w/ shotgun pellets, go figure.

Archived