How to handle Deerclops?

Hello,

I wonder how to get rid of this damn monster? Deerclops it's such destructive boss. It's almost like this boss was introduced to stop players from sitting in their cozy corner entire winter and he does his job perfectly.

I defeated him once by myself, by kiting him A LOT and draging him into penguins, tree guard, pigs etc. but I had to make 2 breaks between fights to regenerate sanity.

2nd time I saw him die was on heavily populated multiplayer server when multiple people fought him and only one person somehow survived..

I know how to kite him, but I can only land one hit so it takes a lot of time and my sanity goes to 0 in 15 seconds. So I guess there must be a better way? Maybe avoiding him it's best idea as new one will just spawn in few days? But then how to avoid him if he searches for you and targets your structures?

I wonder how to get rid of this damn monster? Deerclops it's such destructive boss. It's almost like this boss was introduced to stop players from sitting in their cozy corner entire winter and he does his job perfectly.

I defeated him once by myself, by kiting him A LOT and draging him into penguins, tree guard, pigs etc. but I had to make 2 breaks between fights to regenerate sanity. 2nd time I saw him die was on heavily populated multiplayer server when multiple people fought him and only one person somehow survived..

I know how to kite him, but I can only land one hit so it takes a lot of time and my sanity goes to 0 in 15 seconds. So I guess there must be a better way? Maybe avoiding him it's best idea as new one will just spawn in few days? But then how to avoid him if he searches for you and targets your structures?

Nowadays I lure deerclops through spider dens, hound mounds, pigs, tallbirds, bees and fields of tooth-traps. I make sure to wear log armour and weapons like fire staff + tentacle spike, let's not forget torches for nightfall and "deerclops ignition". Dunno but I always seem to make it without getting my base destroyed.

In case sh't hits the fan you could always jump through a worm hole and be safe on the other side of the map :grin: Just make sure to bring clothing and some food so you get a less painful start. I had to do that when Bereager decided to visit my base for the first time.

Hit and run my friend, is the most priceless way, 2 hits and run for a pair of days (if you are alone). Anyway, you can get help in the swamps, with your friendly neighbours the merms and tentacles, the swamp's creatures are enough hostile to deal a significant damage to the beast or at least distract him, but if you are not a good H&R fighter y recommend leave the deerclops in the swap while he is distracted, if the swamp is enough dangerous maybe you could found his loot later but I don't think so, if the swamp creatures are enough to beat the deerclops I don't think the spiders will spare the eye

keep your treeguards alive, use pine cones to plant trees so they stop aggroing you, keep them around base and they'll fight deerclops for you, but remember to help attack deerclops so they can get more hits unfrozen when the deerclops is aiming for you.

Lure him towards a swamp or tooth traps. They wont kill him, but they will do enough damage to his health to help out. One problem with leading him to the swamps, however is the fact that he might destroy the merm houses. THAT was a mistake. 

So far, I've found that its hard to get him away from your structures. Once a player loses his aggro, he just looks for some more stuff to smash. 

Hitting and running sounds great but what about horror monsters which attack you on low sanity?

The last time I defeated a deerclops my sanity was just in the point when the shadows get enough solid to attack, but that was because I beat the Deerclops alone and I was exposed to him for a long time, if you have at least one friend you could beat him in the half time, with the half of your sanity. Then the answer is yes, if you are not enough fast and you are alone you will be mad at the end of the battle, or even before if you don't have the sanity on top and if you are too slow you will fight with both

So if sanity is your only problem when you kill him by melee then i suggest on day 28 you go through the desert and pick all the cactus.  A full stack of 40 cooked will allow you to re-up sanity instantly and easily 4 times at least. 

Gunpowder is still an option too. As for the sanity part, jerky is probably the best idea in my opinion. It heals you and gives a sanity boost.

I usually end up kiting him alone because everyone else in the server prefers to watch from afar while eating popcorn. Though at least they keep my campfire lit, that's nice of them.

Does Deerclops spawn ranomly or only at certain time in the winter? All my enouters happened when I was sitting in my base, in the middle of winter. I don't think I ever heard Deerclops moaning while I was outside of my base. So how does it work? Is that same event as hounds and Deerclops spawns immediately attacking the player (after moaning)?

keep your treeguards alive, use pine cones to plant trees so they stop aggroing you, keep them around base and they'll fight deerclops for you, but remember to help attack deerclops so they can get more hits unfrozen when the deerclops is aiming for you.

Do this.

One will significantly hurt him and i think two will kill him.

*assuming their both the largest trees

Does Deerclops spawn ranomly or only at certain time in the winter? All my enouters happened when I was sitting in my base, in the middle of winter. I don't think I ever heard Deerclops moaning while I was outside of my base. So how does it work? Is that same event as hounds and Deerclops spawns immediately attacking the player (after moaning)?

He usually spawns near the end of Winter. (On normal settings, around Day 32 on DST, I think.) He isn't really aiming for you. He goes for structures. It just happens that your base... is full of them. Like some suggest up top, you can just lure him away from your base, or just let him destroy it. He will wander away once he decimates everything.

As for myself, I'd rather die fighting him than let him destroy camp. Especially because Spring and Summer come after Winter in ROG. So we can't afford to rebuild everything from scratch again. :(

preparation:

- collect enough spider gland before deerclops arrives

- optionally: create healing salves

- when you hear that he or she XD is coming, create armor, at least 3 or 4 items. take care you ve a better weapon then spear. wigfrieds are the best weapons

- be not alone during winter. stay with a not-coward-friend

fight:

- attack him, and dodge his every 3rd attack on you (3rd attack will freeze you)

- run away until you are 'unfreezed'. then attack again!

- when your health is low, retreat, so the monster stops following you, but he/she is still near you (dont forget your base should not be near this monster)

- another alternativ let it be attacked by another mob, so it will lose interest

- another alternativ: use a ice staff to win the time you need

- else: when you are fighting not alone, with 2 people it is very easy to kill it without lossing enough health from his attacks

- during the time he is not attacking (freezed by ice staff or running around), heal yourself at full health!!!!

- then start the fight from the beginning. you won't need another time to run away and heal yourself

after fight:

- kill all cowards who watched the whole show and crush there bones for the eyebrella

EDIT: when he is not after you and you want to heal yourself also take care the shadows, since your sanity would be also around 0. killing shadows will increase your sanity.

He usually spawns near the end of Winter. (On normal settings, around Day 32 on DST, I think.) He isn't really aiming for you. He goes for structures. It just happens that your base... is full of them. Like some suggest up top, you can just lure him away from your base, or just let him destroy it. He will wander away once he decimates everything.

As for myself, I'd rather die fighting him than let him destroy camp. Especially because Spring and Summer come after Winter in ROG. So we can't afford to rebuild everything from scratch again. :(

I am not sure if that's correct because if you move away from your base, it looks like Deerclops approaching your current location. So does he still search for your base after appearing even if that's very far away?

I am not sure if that's correct because if you move away from your base, it looks like Deerclops approaching your current location. So does he still search for your base after appearing even if that's very far away?

Oh right. Sorry if I'm unclear. He spawns with a target structure in mind, not a player. Usually a structure near you when you hear the moans.

He won't target your base specifically. But if he spawns and you don't aggro him, he will walk around until he finds something else to attack. If you're far enough from your base, you should be safe. He's easily distracted and attacks a lot of things.

I tested it only once. I was standing at my base when I heard first moan (although there was 2 other players in the game) so I quickly ran away and he spawned in the middle of nowhere near me (0 structures around). So that made me wonder how exactly his spawn system works.

We might need a modder or someone familiar with the code to answer this concretely. :|

I also got him 4x outside my base. But I think he behaves differently in DS vs DST.

In DST, I ran to rock biome, built a firepit and left him there. He didn't follow me. I returned to find the firepit destroyed and some rocks he "mined" by attacking. (And some meat? I think he killed buzzards too.)

The other time he spawned somewhere near me, but there was an abandoned player's base there that I didn't know about, so he started attacking that.

Maybe he spawns near you, and targets something near you? I just know that he doesn't spawn to attack you(?) He's never done this in my gazillion hours playthrough. And even if by some accident, he spawns near you and you aggro him, he's very easy to lead away and distract.

Edited because I shouldn't use absolutes. It's only for people who are 100% sure.

1. He spawns near a player who survived the longest days. Any player near that player could hear the roar simultaneously.

2. Roaring of him begins when the spawn is triggered.

3. When he comes out, he begins to target and smash down any artificial structure near him.

(artificial means not only by yours hands, but also 'piggy' or 'mer-peoples')

4. When he finds nothing to smash down, he begins roaming to find out any player or structure. Sometimes hostile mobs (mating period beefalos, killer bees) makes a crush with him.

5. Some days after emergence, he seems to disappear to nowhere.

6. He can emerges twice in the same winter, or next winter. This time maybe the second longest survived should be targeted.

(I'm not sure this point, because I killed him almost every time I met. A few samples from failure I guess, yeah)

7. When he emerges next time (in the same winter or next winter), he has same amount of hit points that were worn out by previous battles and left.

(I'm sure at this, Because when I failed with just a tip of health left deerclops, I tried him in next time and killed him with just 8 blows of ham bat)

So the key of deerclops emergence is 'longest survived player', not structures.

I tested it only once. I was standing at my base when I heard first moan (although there was 2 other players in the game) so I quickly ran away and he spawned in the middle of nowhere near me (0 structures around). So that made me wonder how exactly his spawn system works.

So how to handle deerclops? It's simple.

Preps

1. Prepare 2 meats and 1 pig skins in your inventory during mid-late winter(in autumn start, after 26 days). In winter food spoilage rate is 25% slowed, and any spoiled level of meats can be converted into fresh ham bat, so it's okay.

2. Prepare at least 10 jerkies, 4 armours with >80% reduction (football helm or log suit) or one marble armour (95% reduction with double? triple? durability compare to 80% reduction armours) with a spare armour.

3. Prepare a campfire (don't lay it down at ground before deerclops emergence) and fuel for maximum fiery power of campfire.

(don't use fire pit since it is counted as destructible structure to deerclops)

4. Retain your sanity and health to full level (Tam hat and tent help you).

5. Prepare just one ranged weapon, excluding fire dart.

Now deerclops is coming. What I should do next?

1. When roaring begins, make ham bat first. Or preparing full durability of spiked tentacle would be in handy.

2. When stomping quake begins, find him as soon as possible from your vicinity.

3. Lure him with your ranged weapon to outside of your camp so he can notice you and can't harm your structures.

Careful, if you built a piggy town a bit near your camp or vice versa, the deerclops can target them first and smash down.

4. Build campfire and maximize its fiery power as fast as possible.

5. Wear armour, hand ham bat, and hold the ground very next to campfire. Max campfire can thaw you from its freezing claw if you're closed enough.

6. Make a blind duel with him. If your sanity and health goes too low, retreat a bit away and eat jerkies to recover. I again say 'Hail the Jerky Almighty!'

Retreat distance shouldn't be far, because if he loses its interest on you, he'll turn to your camp.

7. Watch his downfall and loot 8 meats and an eye.

If you're Wolfgang, you just need half amount of armours and full of hunger saturation level for ~2x damage. You even don't need to eat a jerky to recover, but it's an insurance.

Archived