Woodie's Backstory

Woodie is my favorite character in the game, but does anyone know any concrete facts about his backstory? Obviously he's Canadian, but do we know anything else about him? Does anyone have any good theories they would like to share?

-He's Canadian

-Canadian

-Schizophrenic

-Canadian

-Werebeaver

-Canadian

I'll start. I've heard some interesting theories, and what I think might make sense could be if

Woodie had a wife named Lucy. He also had the "curse", but possibly in a less dramatic version, like the lycan disease. If that were true, it would be possible that he may have been worse off one day and killed her. Upon coming to his senses, he would be horrified by what he had done, and his mind would go into shock.

Assuming all of that is true, he then might have taken his favorite ax, and began talking to it as if it were Lucy (due to his mind still being in shock). . . . . . That's all I've got. I don't really know if that would be the right one, but I think it nakes some sense. I know it's kind of grim, but this is Don't Starve we're talking about

he is famous for his terrible secret and Lucy, she is another mystery maybe even darker one (who knows actually, maybe it's story of Lucy is his terrible secret, and werebeavery just small thing), I think one of them or both related to reasons why he is trapped in DS world

my theory, that he can have werebeavery by some "natural" cause, and maybe at one full-moon night he just chew his lumberjack-friend Lucy a bit. And accidently there was an old radio in their hut...  anyway probably there was a lot of similiar speculations since time when he was introduced

upd: oh, I post too slow)

he is famous for his terrible secret and Lucy, she is another mystery maybe even darker one (who knows actually, maybe it's story of Lucy is his terrible secret, and werebeavery just small thing), I think one of them or both related to reasons why he is trapped in DS world

my theory, that he can have werebeavery by some "natural" cause, and maybe at one full-moon night he just chew his lumberjack-friend Lucy a bit. And accidently there was an old radio in their hut... anyway probably there was a lot of similiar speculations since time when he was introduced

upd: oh, I post too slow)

I do agree that the Werebeaver part might not be his "terrible secret". Then again, it's really easy to over think this kind of stuff :p

I fully subscribe to the storyline that Lucy was a real person in Woodie's past. What happened to her, I think that we may never know. Maybe Maxwell knows, maybe not. But for whatever reason Woodie threw himself so fully into his work (lumberjack) that he lost touch with reality completely and began speaking to his Axe. (Much like Tom Hanks and Wilson, coincidence?) 

I hadn't considered that Maxwell probably lured Woodie by promising him to be able to talk to Lucy again. And of course, plot twist, he just meant the axe talks back. Thats a great idea, and I'm going to head-cannon it. :)

I never thought it made sense that his wife was the axe. Or that she was a person at all.

Wendy has a ghost, I don't think Lucy is a ghost. 

Also he's not in mourning. 

Pretty sure Lucy is someone he made up to keep himself company spending so much time alone.
Or, maybe, she is some sort of spirit guide. Not a dead wife. 

I never thought it made sense that his wife was the axe. Or that she was a person at all.

Pretty sure Lucy is someone he made up to keep himself company spending so much time alone.

But when, say, Wilson would carry Lucy around, she'd shout at him, no Woodie far or wide.

But when, say, Wilson would carry Lucy around, she'd shout at him, no Woodie far or wide.

Not officially. There's the mod, for sure. But he's not released in DST yet, so we don't know if anyone can hear her. 

If they can't? She's proooobably his imagination.

If they can? She's magic! But a dead woman's soul trapped in an axe? Don't think so. There's not enough in canon to suggest that she was a living person, at all.

Just that she likes Woodie and loves chopping trees. An odd one, for sure, but they make a good team. 

It could make sense that he just talks to his ax for company. Although, as far as him not showing any signs of mourning, if Lucy was his wife and died, whether by his hand or not, maybe it would hurt too bad to think about it. It's possible that he avoids thinking about her, and so talks to his ax like it's her. Klei did say that aside from his whole tree obesssion Woodie is a pretty level headed guy.

It could make sense that he just talks to his ax for company. Although, as far as him not showing any signs of mourning, if Lucy was his wife and died, whether by his hand or not, maybe it would hurt too bad to think about it. It's possible that he avoids thinking about her, and so talks to his ax like it's her. Klei did say that aside from his whole tree obesssion Woodie is a pretty level headed guy.

This is the quote: "Other than the whole "talks to his axe like it's a person" thing, he's a pretty normal guy. " 

Source -> http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/22328-is-woodie-crazy/?p=228250 

So I am doubtful about that. He's a pretty happy guy. If his wife was dead and her soul was trapped in his axe, or if it was just a reminder, I think he'd be a little sad about it. 

This is the quote: "Other than the whole "talks to his axe like it's a person" thing, he's a pretty normal guy. "

Source -> http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/22328-is-woodie-crazy/?p=228250

So I am doubtful about that. He's a pretty happy guy. If his wife was dead and her soul was trapped in his axe, or if it was just a reminder, I think he'd be a little sad about it.

That might be the case. It certainly is a much happier story :D

You're right though; he does seem too happy for a guy who's wife died. I think him simply talking to his ax for company would make sense. On another note though, do you think his curse was always literally turning into a werebeaver, or maybe just the lycanthropy disease?

Really, we'll only ever find out if Lucy is actually sentient when/if Woodie gets added to DST. Then we'll be able to theorize on his backstory with more surety.

Yeah for sure! I really do hope we get more backstory on them. I wouldn't mind if Lucy did turn out to be someone from his past, so long as they gave a good explanation as to why he never talks about that.

As for the werebeaver thing, I'm not sure! It could be part of the deal he made, like "I want to be the best lumberjack ever!" and Maxwell drags him in and does that to him, as a cruel joke. 

Hard to tell though. He seems to have a pretty good handle on it (Lucy definitely knows the drill already) so it might just be something he's been dealing with for a while, and made the deal to come to the island to get away from those who might hunt him/chase him down. 

I always Assumed that Lucy was Charlie's Sister and she met Woodie and fell in love during a time she was up in the cabin in BC

That might actually make sense. Didn't one of the William Carter pictures have a letter from Charlie talking about visiting her sister in their cabin?

And is so, wouldn't that be sooo weird if Maxwell and Woodie knew eachother in that way?

I personally like to think either Lucy is just someone he imagined up to talk to, or was his best friend who's soul got trapped into an axe. 

But really, even the characters who do have backstories, such as Wilson and Maxwell, are rather lacking. Maxwell has the most by far, but it's not enough to sate the average character development/backstory goer.

Archived