Reign of Giants public test: March 18th Update

Just came out of a game that was pretty much unplayable. Issues I noticed:

• It was autumn. It started to rain on day 3 and it never stopped. Eventually everyone became fully wet and froze to death.
  • Around the same time (day 3-4), all the grass and twigs became cut/picked and they never replenished.

I had the same issue with grass and twigs, and with berry bushes.  It rained around day 8 and all of the twigs, grass turfs, and berry bushes went from ready to harvest to cut/picked on screen and in unexplored areas.  Additionally, the wetness meter did not have arrows displayed to indicate increase and decrease in wetness; and it rained for two whole days.

Another thing I noticed, although I'm not sure if it is a real bug or if it is intended, is that I was able to plant birchnuts and evergreens in the rocky biome which was covered in rocky turf.  

Keep up the good work though with the Hotfixes.  Thanks   :-)

I can't help but feel that the Deerclops spawning every 2-3 days of winter is a bit excessive, at least for 2 people. It's certainly much harder than fighting him solo in solo RoG. I don't even want to think about what it would be like if Dragonfly spawned like that. 

So, I don't know if this is a known issue, but Bee Boxes don't produce any honey when placed near areas with a lot of normal beehives. We set up two bee boxes 2-3 screens away from a grassland area that had a 5-6 beehives. The bees from the boxes flew around landing on flowers but didn't produce honey when going back to their box. When we destroyed the other hives nearby they began to create honey as normal.  

A frozen Volt Goat switches between frozen and unfrozen states before it unfreezes completely without the shivering phase. Video proof below.

Also, just checked DS:RoG, the issue seems to also happen there. Whether it's intentional or not, I figured might as well report it.

Played on a server with three people total today and we noticed a few things. Hopefully most of these haven't already been addressed/rehashed a ton.

1. We were playing around with settings a bit and noticed that we didn't have a setting for the frequency of skeletons on the map. Instead we had two settings for pig heads' frequency. We assumed one was the skeleton setting with the wrong image. Screenshot: i2nnIUG.jpg
  2. It started to rain either 2-3 days in and shortly after we noticed that even in areas we had definitely not been to before, all the grass, twigs, and berries had been picked. This continued to happen quite regularly throughout our playing so far. We've gone about 30 days now and it seems to potentially correspond with the rain.
  3. Another player noted that it seemed like the wet meter went up much faster than it usually does in RoG without any hats/umbrellas. I don't have anymore info on this personally though because I obsessively use hats and umbrellas as WX-78.
  4. For one person on the server, they could see all the catcoons without any issue but could not any of the hollow stumps. So to them, it seemed like catcoons kept appearing out of nowhere on their screen. She tried holding her mouse over where she knew a stump was but this yielded no information whatsoever. For myself and the other person on server, this was not an issue.
  5. So many lureplants. So. Many. We've already killed 11-12 in a 30 day period which is quite frequent. I just double-checked our settings and lureplants are set to default so it's not from that. This definitely wasn't something that happened to any of us either in RoG or in DST previously as well.

There may have been a couple more minor-ish things that happened but we weren't certain if they were bugs or just someone lagging a bit. The main one I remember was for one person Willow kept dropping her axe during combat instead of attacking.

Overall, we're really loving the RoG addition though. We were eagerly awaiting it being added as we'd all started on RoG so playing without it was quite odd for a bit.

It started to rain either 2-3 days in and shortly after we noticed that even in areas we had definitely not been to before, all the grass, twigs, and berries had been picked. This continued to happen quite regularly throughout our playing so far. We've gone about 30 days now and it seems to potentially correspond with the rain.

Rain normally makes this grow faster, but in this case it seems to just kill them. Maybe it's acid rain? :p

I think the Deerclops needs some retuning. On the one hand, I really like the general pattern of his current behavior-- it makes him a real threat, one you can't just lead away from base and then ignore.

On the other hand, he's almost impossible to fight right now, because of his increased range (6 -> 8). Even with a good dedicated server setup and low lag conditions and a walking cane to aid kiting, it's difficult to get one hit between kites. I'd imagine it'd still be difficult even without the range increase, due to the small amounts of latency most players have to deal with even in good conditions. Another reason why the large range is a problem is that you now have to move so far to get out of his range that you can no longer acquire him as a target by holding F.

I think all that needs to be done to fix this is to revert the range increase or increase his attack period (maybe a 4.5s period?) so you have a little more time-- it should be possible to get two hits between kites, and safe to get one, without a walking cane.

I just had a mixed-experience group of four other players, containing two Wigfrids, and we all died to the Deerclops (with armor and battle spears) -- this was our second world attempting to get past winter in the RoG beta. As it stands the only ways I can see to get past the Deerclops are as follows:

1. Have the best player host, and hope they're good enough to kite the deerclops in combat for twice the duration they'd have to in single-player.
  2. Farm hound mounds in the deserts for as much teeth as possible before winter, then make a ton of tooth traps.
  3. Let him destroy your base, and survive as nomads through winter.
  4. Freeze him, blow him up with 19 gunpowder, then get a few hits in.
  5. Many tentacles or a couple of treeguards.

Edit: I was under the assumption that if you did kill him successfully, he would no longer spawn for the rest of the season. It looks from the files like that's the case, because _attacksperwinter = 4, and when it gets killed, it sets the delay to 4* (winter's length / _attacksperwinter), so that should always be winter's full length. Can anyone confirm that's the case in practice?

Edit2: Apparently he can spawn again even if you kill him. Is that a bug?

Something interesting I found. I was Webber and my partner was Wigfrid. I could sleep in the tent just fine, but Wigfrid refused to sleep:

"It's nöt safe tö sleep. Use the spear!"

I think the game treats Webber as a Monster and thus players around Webber might not be able to sleep as a result. Not sure if this is intentional. When I left the area, Wigfrid was able to go to sleep. 

I think the Deerclops needs some retuning. On the one hand, I really like the general pattern of his current behavior-- it makes him a real threat, one you can't just lead away from base and then ignore.

On the other hand, he's almost impossible to fight right now, because of his increased range (6 -> 8). Even with a good dedicated server setup and low lag conditions and a walking cane to aid kiting, it's difficult to get one hit between kites. I'd imagine it'd still be difficult even without the range increase, due to the small amounts of latency most players have to deal with even in good conditions. Another reason why the large range is a problem is that you now have to move so far to get out of his range that you can no longer acquire him as a target by holding F.

I think all that needs to be done to fix this is to revert the range increase or increase his attack period (maybe a 4.5s period?) so you have a little more time-- it should be possible to get two hits between kites, and safe to get one, without a walking cane.

I just had a mixed-experience group of four other players, containing two Wigfrids, and we all died to the Deerclops (with armor and battle spears) -- this was our second world attempting to get past winter in the RoG beta. As it stands the only ways I can see to get past the Deerclops are as follows:

•  
  • Have the best player host, and hope they're good enough to kite the deerclops in combat for twice the duration they'd have to in single-player.
  • Farm hound mounds in the deserts for as much teeth as possible before winter, then make a ton of tooth traps.
  • Let him destroy your base, and survive as nomads through winter.
  • Freeze him, blow him up with 19 gunpowder, then get a few hits in.

In a two player game, we managed to lure him away from the base. He destroyed a lot but eventually he got occupied with something else and ended up despawning. Many of the base structures were ruined such as the flingomatic and lightning rod, several firepits throughout the world, merm houses, pig houses... It was horrible. He was about to spawn again until spring cancelled him out. The fact that Deerclops spawns so early in the season as opposed to the end of it gives you so little time to prepare. 

Also he MIGHT have killed me, making me salty enough to make my earlier post. 

I honestly think the number of Deerclops spawns per season should be related to the number of max players allowed on the server. It's absolute chaos right now. 

Another reason why the large range is a problem is that you now have to move so far to get out of his range that you can no longer acquire him as a target by holding F.

So it wasn't just me? Thank god. 

@TheHalcyonOne, you know you can put firepits OUTSIDE the flingomatic range, and the light can still reach the flingomatic and its left/right/up/down surroundings.

@enragedcamel, your beefalo issue is probably not a bug. When a beefalo attacks you, it keeps you as a target, so it won't stop following you.

@CaptainFun, indeed Webber is considered a monster. Which is really annoying in some pvp servers where being near a Webber screws your retargeting with F, without using Ctrl+F to acquire him as a target.

Regarding the deerclops, I'm torn. I'm really glad he's such a threat.

Also coming in to confirm the grass/twigs/berries being depleted around day 8 bug.

I thought nothing of it at first, but it had just finished raining when I noticed that they were all depleted. So I think Shellhead might have nailed it. Just tested it; using the telestaff to force rain, everything was depleted when going to a completely new area.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410292335

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410292345

EDIT: Regarding Webber actually counting as a monster: Gotta say, I personally like that. He is, so I like that that detail was kept for multiplayer. Does he lower sanity like spiders too? Just curios, and haven't gotten a chance to ask that in-game yet. (Personal opinion only! I was actually hoping Klei would keep up his monster theme, just because I love seeing the lore bits having effect on gameplay.)

@Ipsquiggle, worldgenoverride.lua is not properly overriding the server settings.

Dedicated Server worldgenoverride.lua settings:

return {	override_enabled = true,	animals = {		alternatehunt = "default",		angrybees = "default",		beefalo = "default",		bees = "default",		birds = "default",		butterfly = "default",		frogs = "default",		hunt = "default",		penguins = "default",		perd = "default",		pigs = "default",		rabbits = "default",		tallbirds = "default",	},	misc = { 		boons = "default",		branching = "most",		day = "default",		lightning = "default",		loop = "default",		season = "default",		season_start = "default",		touchstone = "always",		weather = "often",		world_size = "huge",	},	monsters = {		chess = "default",		deerclops = "default",		hounds = "default",		krampus = "default",		liefs = "default",		lureplants = "default",		merm = "default",		spiders = "default",		tentacles = "default",		walrus = "default",	},	resources = {		flint = "often",		flowers = "default",		grass = "default",		marshbush = "default",		meteorshowers = "default",		meteorspawner = "default",		reeds = "default",		rock = "default",		rocks = "default",		sapling = "default",		trees = "default",	},	unprepared = {		berrybush = "often",		carrot = "often",		mushroom = "often",	},} 

Dedicated Server world state:

68YXnav.jpg

yUfVmrp.jpg

Hw5oPsH.jpg

bXqPA8W.jpg

k0VPGib.jpg

Also quick note for other users:

The Random setting for seasons is between 0 and 50; it's set on world generation so all autumns will be the same length, all springs will be the same length, all summers will be the same length and all winters will be the same length. If you truly dynamic season lengths, you can use Dynamic Season Length which sets the season length on the very first day of new season.

@Kzisor, Are you sure it's only set on world generation? A quick test with Season Clock shows that it gets set each time you load a save in single-player.

In the multiplayer version it also gets populated from savedata, however, my assessment is not incorrect. Once the game world is loaded/generated the season lengths do not change.

gamelogic.lua line 366:

world:PushEvent("ms_setspawnmode", GetSpawnMode( gamemode ) )

tuning_override.lua lines 269-299:

autumn = function(difficulty)		if difficulty == "random" then			TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setseasonlength", {season = "autumn", length = GetRandomItem(SEASON_FRIENDLY_LENGTHS)})		else			TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setseasonlength", {season = "autumn", length = SEASON_FRIENDLY_LENGTHS[difficulty]})		end	end,	winter = function(difficulty)		if difficulty == "random" then			TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setseasonlength", {season = "winter", length = GetRandomItem(SEASON_HARSH_LENGTHS)})		else			TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setseasonlength", {season = "winter", length = SEASON_HARSH_LENGTHS[difficulty]})		end	end,	spring = function(difficulty)		if difficulty == "random" then			TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setseasonlength", {season = "spring", length = GetRandomItem(SEASON_FRIENDLY_LENGTHS)})		else			TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setseasonlength", {season = "spring", length = SEASON_FRIENDLY_LENGTHS[difficulty]})		end	end,	summer = function(difficulty)		if difficulty == "random" then			TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setseasonlength", {season = "summer", length = GetRandomItem(SEASON_HARSH_LENGTHS)})		else			TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setseasonlength", {season = "summer", length = SEASON_HARSH_LENGTHS[difficulty]})		end	end, 

Those lines are inside the "SetSpawnMode" function which is located on line 46 of tuning_override.lua. That is the ONLY reference I found to random season lengths inside the code.

I believe that has something to do with your own map taking note of where you last saw Glommer. So each time Glommer get's out of your map view circle, it gets an icon on the map. I think a player's personal map should ONLY take note of the last instance the player has seen Glommer and erase all previous locations Glommer was last seen in.

Nice catch @AlternateMew.

• Developer

Phew! Good morning everyone! Looks like you had a very busy and grassless night (what were you doing for light?? :-) )! All these bugs have been recorded and we'll continue hammering away at them.

We're also taking note of the balance issues you're bringing up such as Deerclops, but just be aware we're prioritizing crashes, stability and consistency bugs first. Once the game is stable and everything is appearing where it should, we'll turn our attention more heavily towards balance and gameplay concerns. But that said, we are taking note, so please keep bringing these issues up! We just probably won't have a solid response until things cool down.

• Developer

Found a bug.

When picking up the ice staff from the ice hound trap the game crashes as the rain starts.

-Kidd

Hi kidcomm, welcome to the forums!

Do you happen to remember what equipment you were wearing when this happened? Any rain hats or anything like that?

edit: Aha, it was a bee hat!

Another bug/difference: When going to the server creation screen, it always selects the next unused slot (if it exists). This is a bit of a hassle when rehosting, as normally it would select whichever world was loaded last.

• Developer

Another bug/difference: When going to the server creation screen, it always selects the next unused slot (if it exists). This is a bit of a hassle when rehosting, as normally it would select whichever world was loaded last.

Noticed this myself yesterday when I was working on controller support for this screen--nice catch! Fix should be out with the next hotfix.

Hi all,

i have other crash on server dedicated:

[string "scripts/components/perishable.lua"]:220: bad argument #2 to 'SetPosition' (number expected, got nil)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
=[C]:-1 in (method) SetPosition © <-1--1>
scripts/components/perishable.lua:220 in (method) Perish (Lua) <193-224>
   self =
      onperishreplacement = spoiled_food
      inst = 159411 - monstermeat_dried (valid:false)
      frozenfiremult = false
      _ = table: 0x18844028
   goop = 159415 - spoiled_food (valid:true)
   owner = nil
   holder = nil
   x = nil
   y = nil
   z = nil
scripts/components/perishable.lua:105 in (field) fn (Lua) <40-108>
   inst = 159411 - monstermeat_dried (valid:false)
   dt = 10.10832180212
   modifier = 1.875
   owner = nil
   old_val = -2017.3756057955
   delta = 10.10832180212
scripts/scheduler.lua:187 in (method) OnTick (Lua) <161-217>
   self =
      running = table: 0xa17fb90
      waitingfortick = table: 0xa17fbb8
      tasks = table: 0xa17fb48
      waking = table: 0x10e0e410
      attime = table: 0xa17fbe0
      hibernating = table: 0xa83f438
   tick = 742632
   k = PERIODIC 159411: 10.108322
   v = true
   already_dead = nil
scripts/scheduler.lua:398 in (global) RunScheduler (Lua) <396-404>
   tick = 742632
scripts/update.lua:162 in () ? (Lua) <146-213>
   dt = 0.033333335071802
   tick = 742632
   i = 742632

SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen    
QueryServerComplete no callback

I agree with rezecib about this. I really like that he is more of a threat. I spent about 8 winters in don't starve together (without RoG) and he never spawned. But it shouldn't be too hard either and he should not respawn for the rest of the winter when I kill him. That is really important, I think!

1. Have the best player host, and hope they're good enough to kite the deerclops in combat for twice the duration they'd have to in single-player.
  2. Farm hound mounds in the deserts for as much teeth as possible before winter, then make a ton of tooth traps.
  3. Let him destroy your base, and survive as nomads through winter.
  4. Freeze him, blow him up with 19 gunpowder, then get a few hits in.
  5. Many tentacles or a couple of treeguards.

Edit: I was under the assumption that if you did kill him successfully, he would no longer spawn for the rest of the season. It looks from the files like that's the case, because _attacksperwinter = 4, and when it gets killed, it sets the delay to 4* (winter's length / _attacksperwinter), so that should always be winter's full length. Can anyone confirm that's the case in practice?

Edit2: Apparently he can spawn again even if you kill him. Is that a bug?

It will attack every 2-3 days now, but it's more easily satisfied when he destroys buildings.
well, I don't want to be a jerk about it, both because I praised this decision earlier and because you guys just said that balance is not a priority at the moment, but I just want to point out that, If bugs don't kill you before winter is over, spring is just completely nullified by the obcene amount of Eyebrellas(also, Beefalo Meat for years. My great Grandchildren will still be eating the meat that was generated here).

Around the same time (day 3-4), all the grass and twigs became cut/picked and they never replenished.
Pelontrix Strikes again.

Archived