Game Update 127906 - 2/23/2015

I think it might be time for me to remove my current signature.

Hmmmm...... Yes, that might be a good idea.....

Or at least change it to suit single player more, since she is untouched there....

As thankful as I am for the update, though, it won't stop people from just grabbing a torch and setting things alight.

Sure, Willows debuffs help somewhat and will likely increase chances of your items and forests not going up in flames and ashes, but I think a simpler, and less damaging to Willows character to the point where you can pretty much rebuff her, (I'd still recommend her not setting things alight when sanity is low) is to have it so that a player has to at least be on the game for ten days to burn anything more then one item at a time.

Heck, if that doesn't do it, make it twenty.

You'd have to be a pretty sad, persistent jerk to actually stay in a game for 10 days just so you can set things on fire, never mind twenty.

The Willow nerf should be a temporary solution until they find a better anti-griefer solution. Klei probably noticed too many ppl complaining about her. 

Doesn't seem right to turn her lighter into a (consumable) torch.  Her strong point was being able to traverse during the night.

I guess when you add a multiplayer component, she becomes too powerful: immunity to fire, roaming at night, and infinite fire weapon.

I like the idea of a probationary period on non-PVP servers, but again, such ideas are not yet completely fleshed out. 

I assume it's so that she can't just burn down entire areas and stand safely in the fire while everyone else takes damage.

So that is a her perk!? It was always her perk to take no fire damage. Now she takes a lot of fire damage and here lighter is way more expensive than a torch. They  will never craft her lighter.

This update has honestly killed my favourite character. There has to be another way. 

I assume it's so that she can't just burn down entire areas and stand safely in the fire while everyone else takes damage.

So that is a her perk!? It was always her perk to take no fire damage. Now she takes a lot of fire damage and here lighter is way more expensive than a torch. They  will never craft her lighter.

This update has honestly killed my favourite character. There has to be another way. 

So that is a her perk!? It was always her perk to take no fire damage. Now she takes a lot of fire damage and here lighter is way more expensive than a torch. They  will never craft her lighter.   This update has honestly killed my favourite character. There has to be another way. 

Well, we can't just have Willows running around griefing entire servers.

Plus, you still have DS Singleplayer, where Willow is her normal self.

Well, we can't just have Willows running around griefing entire servers.

Plus, you still have DS Singleplayer, where Willow is her normal self.

I agree completely but you have missed the point. Lighters for willow are now more expensive than a torch. If you have someone that really wants to grief they will make a torch. Just was easier as Willow. Other players do not suffer from Willow being immune to fire.  

I agree with you that there was something that needed to be done for the briefing. But if you played as willow a lot! you will see that this cripples strategy and here overall playability. 

How expensive? They should just be basically a torch recipe but the ingredients should be twice to three times as much more resources (so for x2, it'd be 6 cut grass, 4 twigs, and for x3, it'd be 9 cut grass, 6 twigs).

It is 2 gold, 1 rope and 2 flower petals. I am sorry I don't understand that. It makes the lighter not useful. I should just make more torches than waste my time on the lighter. 

Yeah sure if it was easier to craft I would be ok with it and I am more than ok with willow being the only one to craft it. 

Im sorry you'll have to forgive me on trying to understand the good that came from Willow being damaged by fire? Is there a reason that it is now 50%? 

I am totally ok with the changes to the lighter as I see the damage it can cause on servers but the whole damage to fire to me is excessive.

Can someone then explain to me why this is?

Thanks 

she's less prone to be greifer central, for one.

I think it would be nice if the nerfed willow was a toggleable option. I play on private servers where I know my friends can handle playing her, and they enjoy her abilities.
I'm working on a mod to bring back the fire princess in her true form, but, still. Would be nice if this was a choice.
I can see the reasons why this was done though! Don't get me wrong. It's just a case of a small amount of greifers ruining something for everyone else. 

Unfortunately thats not true. This perk being made invincible to fire made no difference on if a player is going to grief or not. Sure now she won't be kicked on site, but now I see no perk of choosing willow. 

I think taking away random burning when low on sanity would have been enough, myself. At least then, friends couldn't unintentionally destroy their friends everything.

It's a dilemma.

If the lighter has a durability component, Willow appears underpowered. If not, non-Willow players often find lighters too empowering, especially later in the game where every single player is carrying a willow's lighter.

IMO, the lighter should not have a fuelled component (like a torch), but it should have a finite-use component (like a weapon or as an igniter).

I think taking away random burning when low on sanity would have been enough, myself. At least then, friends couldn't unintentionally destroy their friends everything.

I agree with that completely! That made it too unpredictable and destroyed a lot.

I am sorry, but I just smile when I hear people complain about the changes made to willow. I agree they are to harsh but every newbie or griefer plays that character and its about time that character got some grief back so  :joyous:  :joyous:  :joyous:  :joyous:  :joyous:  :joyous:  :joyous:

on another thought - I think they need to make it so characters poop flint like beefalo. 

Honestly, I would've preferred a "Protection" for non-hosts on burning and hammering.

The host would be able to give permissions to certain players by typing something like "/admin *username*" or something.

That'd be a good-anti-briefing solution.

The joy of Willow was balancing her already fragile sanity to her lighter, high risk/high reward. I've ruined plenty of games by burning my friends and our camp to death, but at the same time, I've saved many games with her lighter.

Torches are easier to craft, and easily renewable as well. Making the whole craftable lighter useless. Players with half a mind to them won't start unnecessary fires for fun or profit.. Most the time one is stuck in a fire, is when lightning hits a forest- making you trapped anyway. Half immunity or not. Being Willow has no benefit to gameplay now. She's no fun.

If greifers are the problem, a better solution would be to improve admin and server functionality, impose restrictions for random players, or outright remove an ignite option- leaving charcoal to lightning to create or reworking charcoal entirely. Unless this is an ARG thing, then this whole nerf has been a poor idea.

Well sorry but the update for willow is very bad ! she was one of my favorite charakters and you killed ALL of her spacial abilities ... I dont get it . There is no point left to call her the "firestarter " anymore .-. 
All what willow was about is now gone ! Why you had to make such a redical change on her ? I just dont get it , because now you changed her from "op" ( well evon though it wasnt really op ) to useless ....
thenk you for ruining my favorite character .-. 

Other players do not suffer from Willow being immune to fire.

This is not true w/ PvP-enabled.

3 players stand in the forest.  The trees catch fire, doing massive damage.

2 players die.  Willow giggles.

Willow shows up in your base camp, torching everything.  You attack her as she stands in the middle of the burning blaze, taking damage as she attacks you w/ her lighter.  You try your hardest to kill her w/ your Tentacle Spike as you burn.

You die.  Willow giggles.

Now, do I agree w/ the nerf?  No, not really, because torches exist and are still just as easy to burn everything w/ as they always were.  I never agreed that Willow herself was the issue; griefing is the actual problem.  She was just a symptom that got swatted in this update.

Willow is my fiance's favorite character too, and while I appreciate not having to worry that my fiance will burn down our base by accident when her sanity drops below threshold, I don't really think this was the best answer to the problem.

Griefing still exists.  It will continue to exist.  Torching / hammering everything in sight still exists.

All this really solved is letting players know which character NOT to choose anymore, imo.  But I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, as there is a rampant irrational hatred of Willow herself going around.

/shrug

@leonseye, Even as someone who is part of the "never trust a Willow" camp, I'm not really happy about most of these changes. The only reason Willow was picked for griefing was because she started with a way to burn stuff down. You could have another character that just started with a few torches and be in a pretty similar situation.

And to be honest... it was pretty convenient that most griefers picked Willow, because then you had some clue about their intentions.

Archived