Game Update 127906 - 2/23/2015

Honestly I think this is a temporary fix till they do the complete overhaul latter. I mean we still have about half of the character roster still missing (officially). This stat fix was probably put in there to deal with a complicated issue for now until they get everything else in. I still believe in a second “strange new powers” update specifically targeted for multiplayer will come at a latter date. So I am not too worried about it for now. Considering we are still in the beta phase of DS:T.

This is not true w/ PvP-enabled.

Your right I did forget about PVP. 

My concern is that there has to be another way to deal with griefers rather than removing half of Willows benefits. A lighter that requires a science machine before you can make it? Plus the amount of light that the lighter gives can't even come close to a torch. I understand that this probably is temporary but It does make it difficult to play as her now. Not to mention you still get kicked from servers if you play as her as no one reads the updates. 

PvP inbalance is not an excuse to punish PvE.

I doubt they find Willow's abilities op, as they would have been addressed far sooner than it is now. 

It's a Blizzard-esque hotfix for the wrong thing, but sadly it does address the problem by discouraging players to play as Willow.. but it doesn't fix it- as people can, surprise, make torches and hammers still.

Like I said, the best way to address this is to make better tools for admins/moderators, IP Bans, or even a number depicting how many times they've been banned from a server, or a ranking system. A green smiley face or a red frowny face does wonders when determining whether or not that particular Willow is going to set you on fire.

初投稿です。英語が得意なわけではないので大部分を日本語で書きます。

まず、今回のupdateの修正案を提示します。

・Willow's fire resistance should change from 50% to 75%~80%

・Willow should have increased area of effect to get sanity by fire

・Willow's Lighter should no longer drop when she dead(means character bound item)

other change was good. but newest update was worst update ever. griefer wont use only willow. griefer is just griefer. not Willow's fault.

I'm sure im core DST player than Klei. i must know better than urs.

Hope Klei would Hotfix newest upgrade.

2/10 Willow is not even a nice flower girl now, she looks like ass.

Seriously though, removing playstyles is not cool at all. She's already nerfed from reducing that burn time and damage on players, cause mighty Wolfgang is too strong.

Removing fires when sanity is low makes her a wilson with a fancy torch. That downside made the exchange of having fire immunity a great side of character's personality. Removing perks makes DST Wilson Army Unite. 

All in all, I'm wondering how will she play like after the Balance of the Great.

2/10 Willow is not even a nice flower girl now, she looks like ass.

Seriously though, removing playstyles is not cool at all. She's already nerfed from reducing that burn time and damage on players, cause mighty Wolfgang is too strong.

Removing fires when sanity is low makes her a wilson with a fancy torch. That downside made the exchange of having fire immunity a great side of character's personality. Removing perks makes DST Wilson Army Unite. 

I am a WILSON!

Wilson for the army revolution!

WE SHALL BE THE MOST BELOVED CHARACTER AND MOST USED EVER!!!

HAAA HAAH HAAH HAAAAH!....

(Cough cough)

Eh... I mean....  Yes, agreed.... To be honest, with all the debuffs she has, Wes doesn't look so bad by comparison now... Okay, he is still the worst, and good job to anyone skilled enough to use the guy, but still.... Wes was made to be bad for experienced players. One could argue that Willow is now worse off them Wilson, who other then having a beard had pretty much standard health, hunger and sanity.

Here's the deal, I've been a Willow hater even before RoG came out, because the second time my berry bushes caught fire in singleplayer I raged and never picked her again (but then again, I was a nub at that time and I didn't knew how to maintain my sanity levels). DST came out and my hatred with Willow grew even larger when every single player that picked Willow didn't knew how important it was to have her sanity as high as possible all the time, so you can imagine my rage levels when she was causing random fires because of her "perk".

Now that it's been removed, as in no more sparks with low sanity, not only that I don't hate her anymore but I actually started picking her once more and I find myself playing a character that is pretty much new to me. These being said, the only thing that made me happy was the removal of her ability to light up stuff at low sanity levels, however, I don't see the reason for which she wouldn't be immune to fire anymore. I have nothing against that, and now, as someone above me said, she doesn't stand out anymore among the other characters. I don't mind the Lighter, I never did actually cause any griefer could feck up things with a torch after all, from my part it could have been an infinite tool just as before. 

As happy as I am with the removal of her random fire, I think that my place has been filed by another group of people who are unhappy now and want her to be at least immune to fire.

As happy as I am now with the removal of her random fire, I think that my place has been filed by another group of people who are unhappy now and want her to be at least immune to fire

Well said! I agree with this completely. 

By the way since everyone is getting carried away with the Willow thing. I actually like they are now adding multi-threading support in. So not everything is carried over by a single core for a multicore processor. I was actually surprised this came in that fast.

Also I noticed this:

Bug Fixes
  • Beefalo herds should manage their size better and no longer take over servers.

Which could mean Rock Lobster over expanding population growth problem will become a thing of the past. Well at least in a future update for DS:T.

How long does the lighter last compared to the torch? Does it seem like a comparable "golden tool" upgrade?

Well, we can't just have Willows running around griefing entire servers.

Plus, you still have DS Singleplayer, where Willow is her normal self.

Really? That's your defense? "Even though you use the character to play nice and contribute to the game, go screw yourself and play alone"? I'm no fan of griefers but that's hardly a thing anyone should say to people who play Willow properly :/

@Shenny, The lighter lasts 20 segments, each segment is 30 seconds, so 10 minutes. Torches last around 75 seconds, so 1.25 minutes. Lighters are worth 8 torches, or a little more since they don't burn faster in rain (but then a little less because of the small light radius). Since 8 torches is 16 grass and 16 twigs, it seems more reasonable for the lighter recipe to be something like 3 rope + 10 twigs. Or at least be refuelable with twigs/grass...

@Shenny, The lighter lasts 20 segments, each segment is 30 seconds, so 10 minutes. Torches last around 75 seconds, so 1.25 minutes. Lighters are worth 8 torches, or a little more since they don't burn faster in rain (but then a little less because of the small light radius). Since 8 torches is 16 grass and 16 twigs, it seems more reasonable for the lighter recipe to be something like 3 rope + 10 twigs. Or at least be refuelable with twigs/grass...

Edit: nevermind I can't math

My idea is a bit silly but I want to ask:

Can we make a message (like some one dead of join the host) whenever some one burn item or hammer object.E.g:

Player_1_Name (Willow) burn a "Tree".

Player_1_Name (Willow) burn a "Berry Bush".

Player_2_Name (Wilson) hammer a "Cooking Pot".

That way people can act more quicky before things turn worst. (Admin kick/ban them or kickvote). Ofcourse it need more tweak to work well.

(Sorry for my bad english).

Willow isnt even willow anymore... I'm really dissapointed in these nerfs when stuff like insanity fires should be a part of multiplayer gameplay, something that one has to worry about. Taking that away is like taking away the varg because people complain that they didnt know about the danger of it

In addition, willow to me was the simplest character; you didnt have to make a lighter or worry about fire, but now everything useful about her kit is gone...

Time to wait for a willow mod in the workshop because im very dissapointed.

So because of lack of griefing protection, Willow players must simply go play singleplayer?

No. I would say that in different context, but recently Seth said that this Willow is not "final" meaning there will be more rebalancing of all the characters.

Plus, despite me hating to play public for my *reasons*, I'm glad I only stayed w/ friends because Willow was Grief character #1 from what I've heard. And I've only had 2 Willows that are friendly: One when I began, Another was a friend.

I'm also saying Willow players can go play SP if they want Willow to be unerfed, but if they want Willow to be rebalanced: There's a DST mod of that now: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398326409&searchtext=

Question: wasn't Willow once immune to night/charlie/grue?

And even though Willow's changes seem quite beneficial for other players, those playing as Willow will have a bad time with not getting burnt and basically Willow won't be a unique character at all anymore. I'll just download the Willow's buff mod and keep that active.

I'd want that back... I mean, she does (used to now) light fires when nervous. And being attacked by a night creature like that, would make her nervous, wouldn't it?

I don't know if it should "return". And being attacked by (I'll just say, Charlie) would do some toll on your sanity.

Archived