Game Update 127906 - 2/23/2015

Soo, I just had a multi-paragraph reply message only to be met with, "You're not logged in, you can't post."

Abridged  version:  I like the Willow tweaks.  Complete fire immunity is very strong.  Not setting random fires makes her good for team-play.  The Lighter having a finite source makes sense, but instead of them poofing, how about they can be refillable?  Like, 1 Nightmare Fuel restores 50% to it?  Also, as it's now multi-user and craftable, how about keeping the radius small, but it being the first Hand-held slot for restoring slight sanity?  At night, it could negate the loss, and during the day, give a slight uptick?  We already have hats and chest pieces, why not a hand-held?  

To further expound upon this for the whole cross-character diversity-but-still-synergy approach...  Beardlings exist and few people bother making Meat Effigies using beard hairs.  Wilson is useless once he dies and loses all of said hair, so I thought of this:

A)  When Wilson dies, have him drop beard hairs equivalent to how full his beard was

B)  People can use beard hairs to make Wilson's Beard as a wearable hat-piece that didn't decay and could be "click-shaved" to break into its lesser parts of beard hairs (it'd need say.. 2 silk and 10 beard hairs to make as a craftable piece).  The benefit to this is it another option between Beefalo which might be hard to find in your world and a step up from rabbit earmuffs.  Also, it does not give sanity, but it has a more insulating factor (by all of 5 seconds, according to the wiki), and still wouldn't decay.

C)  Wickerbottom somewhat loses usefulness after an Alchemy Machine is built.  How about an extension of her perk is... she just needs to create the machine itself, be it a Tier 1 Magic (Prestihatitator), or Tier 2 Science (Alchemy Engine), and then she retains all patterns and can make them anywhere without first having to prototype them?

Beyond that, I think all of the other characters are balanced.  Perhaps have WX drop any extra gears he's consumed upon dying so they either be reused by him or used for fridges etc.  I like how the Strongman for example regains lost max HPs by eating food.

Thoughts on this?

@Strael, There were discussions on (A) in Suggestions and Feedback. Something like (B) I'd like to see, and it's one of the ideas I've been tossing around for a mod (Strange New Powers Together).

© I cannot agree with. Wickerbottom is by far the best character in cooperative play. She can make backpacks for everyone early on, cut straight to an alchemy machine, and then mass-produce food and tentacle spikes with her books, and the tentacles are also great for fighting... everything. When RoG rolls around they'll be weak to most of the giants, but right now they're king.

When considering if character's perks need to be reorganized to make them more team-oriented, Wickerbottom is honestly the only character in who I would say does not need to be looked at, or if anything needs a bit of a nerf (e.g. to the range of Applied Horticulture).

(Wigfrid is also pretty good, since she can share helmets around, but she's not 100% official yet).

WX-78 actually does drop gears when he dies, but strictly fewer than he's consumed. I'm not really a fan of the mechanic as it stands.

@rezecib - Wigfried is great, but she's not "official" yet, no.  I would agree that Wicker's early-game is great as you do not need to look for gold for a backpack, for example, so it makes setting up a camp on Day 1 handy, yes.  However, most go and scavenge for a few days before settling down on a prime locale.  We've learned this tactic from any number of survival games from Civ, to Minecraft, to  Don't Starve.

That being said, he ability to spawn tentacles, do mass-sleep, or Call Lightning (which likely has good synergy with WX, although I haven't played around with that) is certainly strong, but often times the paper goes to more stim pack/booster shots than books with people I have personally played with, and so her unique has been forced to take something of a back seat.  I will give her a second look once more.

@rezecib - Wigfried is great, but she's not "official" yet, no.  I would agree that Wicker's early-game is great as you do not need to look for gold for a backpack, for example, so it makes setting up a camp on Day 1 handy, yes.  However, most go and scavenge for a few days before settling down on a prime locale.  We've learned this tactic from any number of survival games from Civ, to Minecraft, to  Don't Starve.

Don't try to compare Don't starve to Minecraft or Civ. Don't starve it's the first game of its kind. The way things work is so distant from any other survival games.

Don't try to compare Don't starve to Minecraft or Civ. Don't starve it's the first game of its kind. The way things work is so distant from any other survival games.

Blood & Bones. Minecraft mod. I dare you!

Now say that again!

Archived