Flint: You Need Flint? Good Luck With That

Yes, I am aware this would generally be more suited to the suggestions forum, but i'm sticking it here because I want to hear what you people think of it. Feel free to tell any experiences you've had from it.

Okay, how often do you come across this scenario?

You decide to go on a server, let's say... It's about 20 days in, the server is half full, let's say 4/8.

Plenty of big rocks left to gather material from.

Not a hint of flint on the ground.

Anywhere.

You search the entire map in vain. It's all gone.

Now to anyone who is new to Don't Starve, that may seem like a minor concern.

"It's just flint" You say.

"There's tons of other items" You add.

Fine, you got me there. There are plenty of other items you can use...

HOWEVER.... Without flint, you are essentially surviving on the amount of times you can find berries, seeds, fish from dead mermen, anything else dropped that you can eat, any axes or pickaxes dropped... That isn't going to last forever.

You can't make an axe? You can't cook your food, because you can't chop down trees, and without wood, no basic fire for cooking.

No pickax? Hah hah hah hah haaaaah!

Just get off the server.

No pickax means no gold or rocks, no rocks means no fire pit, which doesn't have to be remade like your basic lamey lame wood fire.

No gold means no science machine. No science machine means....

It's a cycle of you're dead, basically.

While it is understandable that resources will slowly dwindle over time as the days go by, and yes, there are renewable resources, but... Does flint have to be a finite resource on the ground?

You just can't survive without flint. It's so important.

I think this item should at least be renewable. Okay, you still may not survive for a long time on the game you're on, but at least you have some chance, after all.

What do you lot think of the idea?

My experience is that people join, assume there is no flint, and immediately start begging for flint, even to the point of potentially ignoring flint still littered around the starting biome. As host, I know I always join first, and I do not pick up more than 3 flint before finding a rocky biome, if I can help it.

I would advise others to do the same. If there is absolutely no flint around, chances are, someone is hoarding. If you join a server on Survival, resources are already harvested, and people aren't going to help you get more, just leave, imo. It's a cooperative game and if those people don't cooperate, you don't want anything to do with them. You will know you're on a good server when everyone is more concerned with getting you up to speed and productive for the group than with "OH NOES, MAH FLINTS, U CANT HAV."

When it comes to Wilderness or PvP situations, well... Those just unfortunately benefit early joiners the most. Try to join a server on day 1-2 if you can, even if it means waiting a little while for a listing.

You don't need flint at the start of the game, or nowhere near the biome you start in. It's convenient, but you can find all you need around the mosaic. All you need is 2 flint, which is very spreaded out around the mosaic, to make a pickaxe. From there, your problems are gone. To get to that mosaic, you don't need flint to eat and explore, do ya?

You don't need flint at the start of the game, or nowhere near the biome you start in. It's convenient, but you can find all you need around the mosaic. All you need is 2 flint, which is very spreaded out around the mosaic, to make a pickaxe. From there, your problems are gone. To get to that mosaic, you don't need flint to eat and explore, do ya?

Oh no, i'm not trying to suggest you need flint at the very start, the moment you walk out of the portal. I managed many a dozen days without it.

The difficulty comes when you find out that you can't find flint anywhere on the ground. Anywhere. The rock biome. The forest, the mosaics.... Anywhere. Every inch and corner of the world. Nothing.

With several people on the same server, with reasonable numbers from two up to eight players, ((i'm ignoring the ones with stupid numbers because holy heck), you quickly find that within a rather short span of time, every bit of ground spawned flint is gone.

With a handful of people on the server with default world settings mostly, you are pretty much out of luck. The fact it happens in such short time is also problematic.

I am aware that the earlier you are on, the better you are off, but it still seems like a rather dodgy game mechanic, whether it be day 10 or day 100.

It's pretty obvious that going on a day 100 server is worse then a day 10 for resources, but that's partly why you go on it. For the challenge. However, I just think that not having even the most basic materials available to you is pretty sad.

In a pvp world where you are constantly hunted down it does suck a lot. On co-op is not that bad.

Yeah, tell me about it.

I just feel terrible knowing I am likely the only person who does a pvp server and is actually friendly.

I haven't killed anyone, yet.

Though I have to wonder how long I can restrain myself from killing someone.

Especially the people who have a ridiculously nice base, and have no need to kill someone who has nothing on them of note.

Yeah, I've run into this situation several times today alone.  It's maddening.  Is it possible to maybe spawn a few pieces of flint around spawn every once in a while?  Maybe when a new player joins?  It's fine to say, "Well, I only take what I need until I find rocks," but the fact is, you're in the minority.  Most people take everything, and not always out of malice.  Sometimes people just don't consider that the people who come on after them won't have another source of flint.  If you've played single-player, it's already become a force of habit to grab everything vaguely important that you can get your grubby little paws on.

Yeah, I've run into this situation several times today alone.  It's maddening.  Is it possible to maybe spawn a few pieces of flint around spawn every once in a while?  Maybe when a new player joins?  It's fine to say, "Well, I only take what I need until I find rocks," but the fact is, you're in the minority.  Most people take everything, and not always out of malice.  Sometimes people just don't consider that the people who come on after them won't have another source of flint.  If you've played single-player, it's already become a force of habit to grab everything vaguely important that you can get your grubby little paws on.

Yes, it's understandable.

It's a very human thing to do, to grab everything, especially to gamers or people who play such games as don't starve. Horde all the items you can. Some people have it in them more then others.

While I am sure alot of it isn't out of malice, i'm sure plenty of it is. I guess it's a more passive aggressive form of trolling/greifing. Instead of going as Willow and screwing over firewood for everyone, or going as wolfgang and killing people not because you need to, but because you can, you be that one person who picks up every single bit of item you can get.

I think the simplest thing to do would be to just give each player a handful of flint. Maybe make an axe and pickax from it. Maybe two of each. Either number, it's better then nothing. Every new character get's a handful of flint. It would make the problem far less prevalent. 

This may be the case if you are relying on dedicated servers, but I host my own games. I can say "Well, I only take what I need until I find rocks" and I can make sure other people do the same, and if they do not, I have the right to exclude them from my games. I can tell the kids to share with each other and explain how important it is, while being a good example, and you should too.

I have standards when I join a world. If that world is clearly being run/hosted by people that do not care about cooperating for survival, I leave. You are not at the mercy of others. You can run the game yourself if you don't like how things are going, and when you have good games with someone, you should try and add that person so that you can find them in the future. 

As a person with serious social anxiety problems who finds it very difficult to talk to people, I still find that I have no problems with making my needs known and taking myself elsewhere if other people aren't willing to play the way that I want. You deserve to have good games. You're worth it. You're a great person, and a good player, I'm sure, and you don't need to stick around with bad hosts or bad servers just because they're all you've ever known. You can break up with them. Be free. Free yourself.

I play dedicated servers a lot. Here's the survival guide:

• Don't join in winter.
  • Keep moving. You can survive off seeds
  • Explore until you find rock biome. Use the roads to speed your way
  • Don't stop during the night
  • Don't play Willow Play Wickerbottom

Yeah Im sorry to say that in all my time playing DST I dont have this problem, like ever.  I mean I've gone a couple days without flint but eventually I ALWAYS find it.  The main reason this is though is that I am no stranger to Don't Starve and when I pop on a map its not a question of finding flint but rather finding the region where flint is easy to find no matter how many people are on the server no matter how long its been running. 

Now Im sure many of you will say "that's just you bro," or "you just get really lucky then," but not really.  The game has rules to its generation and if you play it enough, and by the status of these forums and if you're here you do, you can figure out these rules quite easily and quickly.  All you gotta do is pay attention and eventually all these complaints about this resource or that will be pointless cause you'll know where to look and when to look.

Now lets stop complaining about flint again and lets complain about something new, like how there are so many griefers and they all seem to be Willow.  Has anyone else had this problem :wilson_facepalm:

Yeah Im sorry to say that in all my time playing DST I dont have this problem, like ever.  I mean I've gone a couple days without flint but eventually I ALWAYS find it.  The main reason this is though is that I am no stranger to Don't Starve and when I pop on a map its not a question of finding flint but rather finding the region where flint is easy to find no matter how many people are on the server no matter how long its been running. 

Now Im sure many of you will say "that's just you bro," or "you just get really lucky then," but not really.  The game has rules to its generation and if you play it enough, and by the status of these forums and if you're here you do, you can figure out these rules quite easily and quickly.  All you gotta do is pay attention and eventually all these complaints about this resource or that will be pointless cause you'll know where to look and when to look.

Now lets stop complaining about flint again and lets complain about something new, like how there are so many griefers and they all seem to be Willow.  Has anyone else had this problem :wilson_facepalm:

The worst griefer I've ever encountered in this game was a Wickerbottom who summoned tentacles by the entrance that killed everyone who entered almost instantly, which quickly resulted in an insanity aura that ultimately ended the world when it everyone went insane and died, so no.  And yes, I still think you got lucky, because I HAVE found rock biomes, and they HAVE actually been completely cleared out.  Plenty of rocks, sure, but I had no pickaxe.  With no gold anywhere on the ground, either, I can't even try to mooch off someone's alchemy engine while they're out to make golden tools.  It doesn't always take as long as you might think for everything to disappear.

Here's a simple solution - pick a stack of flint , a stack of sticks , craft 20 pickaxes and drop them all on the ground. It will take a while for players to deplete them , and hopefully they'll contribute the flint back.

The other , even simpler solution is to set your world to generate more flint.

Here's a simple solution - pick a stack of flint , a stack of sticks , craft 20 pickaxes and drop them all on the ground. It will take a while for players to deplete them , and hopefully they'll contribute the flint back.

The other , even simpler solution is to set your world to generate more flint.

*comes into a server*

"yeah I found a pickaxe!!"

"another one! I am so Lucky"

*some time passes*

"hmm I cant pick up this flint because my inventory is full of pickaxes."

problem solved!

Yes, I am aware this would generally be more suited to the suggestions forum, but i'm sticking it here because I want to hear what you people think of it. Feel free to tell any experiences you've had from it.
I find it a bit sad that people have to resort to doing this to get a descent response and discussion on their feedback.

Dear Forumers, CHECK THE DARN FEEDBACK SECTION.

...The main reason this is though is that I am no stranger to Don't Starve and when I pop on a map its not a question of finding flint but rather finding the region where flint is easy to find no matter how many people are on the server no matter how long its been running. ....

Would you mind sharing DA secret with your fellow players? If it is other than "explore the whole map hoping the players of the previous 20 days of the server missed a flint somewhere"....

Otherwise I agree with the OP, mature servers are more-or-less unplayable for the newcomers as flints are not available.

Any suggestion what involves people sharing, people thinking ahead and giving you tools etc simply won't work.

Archived